“Nice Stay for a Big Bend Area Hotel”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We came to Alpine to visit a friend that lived there, so we already knew that we wanted to try one night at the Holland Hotel during our visit. My husband and I try to only stay in smaller boutique hotels when we go on trips and I would stay one fared pretty high on our list.

As one of the other below reviews mentions, the free drink tickets were a nice surprise at check in and the staff was helpful and professional, each time we dealt with them. Kevin was the one I spoke with on the phone a few times. One criticism would be that a return phone call to my voicemail would have been nice when I was making a reservation- I ended up making it online and they may have realized that my name on the online reservation matched the one on the message.

We originally had a reservation made for Loft #4, but we changed it to a King hotel room that became available. I am glad that we did, after reading the below review of loft #4.

On the night that we stayed, there was a Quicenera that was taking place in the hotel ballroom/lobby, so we did not have the opportunity to enjoy much of the common space downstairs. However, we did have drinks at the Century Bar & Grill (located downstair in the hotel) prior to the start of the event. The drinks were nicely made, but the only food we had was the "homemade" chips and salsa. The chips were cold and stale and the salsa cold.....didn't really entice us to have dinner there, so we left and ate at a nearby resturant called the Reata. The food at the Reata was excellent!

The King room that we stayed in was overall pretty nice. Very Clean, except for the bathtub which looked like it may need refinishing. There was adequate space for an older hotel and the wood furnishings were very nice. There were 2 free water bottles available, in-room coffee and earplugs (for the passing train, which didn't bother us at all). Not sure how often the nice, white down comforter at the foot of the bed is washed- but, it could use a cleaning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding our property during your recent stay. I realize that we fell short of your expectations. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we are able to deliver an exemplary hotel stay experience. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. We are looking forward to hosting you in the future and we will definitely strive to exceed your expectations on your next visit!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Could not have been better. The staff was fantastic, and helped us plan our road trip to Big Bend and other sites. Room was wonderful. Enjoyed The Century Grill. Loved the time we sent sitting in their beautiful courtyard visiting with other guest and staff We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind and lovely compliments! We are so happy to hear about your stay. Thank you so much for your comments on our staff, we really appreciate it! Please let us know when you will be returning!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Holland Hotel for two nights while visiting Big Bend National Park. As others have said, the owners have done a wonderful job of renovating the public areas of the hotel and it's great to see a landmark building like this brought back to life. The free tickets guests are given at check in for a drink in the bar are a nice welcoming touch and we enjoyed the beer on draft from the local brewery. The hotel is a one-of-kind place and, if a few details were addressed, it could be a truly great hotel again.

There are many different room types and the experience in each of them is likely to be different. We stayed in Loft #4, which we picked rather than one of the other lofts partly because the pictures on the website showed a large window in the living area. What we could not tell from the pictures was that the window is painted over (and may in any case face the wall of a building immediately behind the lofts). That's not from our perspective a fatal problem--there is a skylight in the room and a small window at the front, as well as a window in the door--but might be more of an issue for others. On the first night we were there, the person next door in Loft #3 was watching television and as the walls between the two are fairly thin, we could not avoid hearing the sound. I'm a fairly light sleeper and ended up wearing the earplugs the hotel provides to get to sleep. There was no one in Loft #3 the second night and our room was very quiet. The trains that pass through town did not bother us.

The hotel housekeeping left a bit to be desired. The shower curtain liner in our room was mildewed; from my perspective, there is really no excuse for that. The curtain also wasn't weighted down at the bottom, so had a tendency to wrap itself around you while you were showering. The fabric back on one of the chairs in our room had become detached, so was not really usable. The housekeeping staff came to our room after our first night there, but did not clear away the empty soda cans we had left on the counter, replace the plastic cups in the bathroom, or replace the ceramic coffee cups we had taken to the dining room at breakfast (admittedly partly our fault for not bringing them back). We also noticed that the trash can in the courtyard was not emptied during our stay.

The breakfast included in our room rate was adequate but not more. The menu included coffee and tea, juice, scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns (from frozen), toast (nice bread) and croissants (not flaky, cool from the fridge). The granola in a jar on the serving counter did not appear to be crunchy and thus wasn't very appealing. That was the only cold cereal option. There were also oatmeal packages to be prepared with hot water. There was yogurt the first morning but not the second. The only fruit on offer was whole oranges and whole Red Delicious apples, which I did not observe anyone eating; some cut up fruit or bananas would have been nice. All in all, a bit more variety and a notch up in quality could have made the breakfast a more enjoyable experience. Oddly, the only cups provided for coffee at breakfast were disposable; ceramic cups would have been nicer.

Reading back through this review, it sounds a bit more negative than I perhaps really intend. I do think, though, that better attention to details would make the Holland Hotel a place I could be much more enthusiastic about.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kgahome

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I’m dismayed to learn that we fell short of your expectations. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we are able to deliver an exemplary hotel stay experience. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here two nights in early March on a Groupon that included two nights, breakfast two mornings, and $10 discount on food in the Century Bar and Grill. The hotel was vintage first class, and we loved everything about it. Thank you for preserving it for our enjoyment in the 21st century. We slept through some of the trains, and some woke us up, but we always went right back to sleep. We will stay here again in a heartbeat. We used our ten dollar meal coupon on two thirteen dollar hamburger plates at the Century Bar and Grill. While the burger was wonderful tasting, it simply was too big to eat as a burger. It was a HUGE 9 oz. burger on a HUGER bun, altogether about 6 inches high. My mouth opens 1.5 inches, so I couldn't possibly eat it as a burger. I tried sawing the thing in half, too messy. I tried scooping out most of the innards of the bun, still couldn't bite into it. It really was not a pleasant experience trying to eat that thing. A lot less of a good thing would be a whole lot better. Serve a 5 oz. burger on a smaller or just thinner bun and charge $10.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for writing your wonderful review on your recent stay in March! We are thrilled to hear what a great time you guys had! I am so happy you were able to take advantage of our Groupon special. We will be running a Groupon special again next year so hopefully we will see you guys again in the future! Our Chef also wanted to let you know that we do have a smaller version of our Century Burger on our Bar Menu! Thanks again!!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I raise my glass to whoever it was who had the huevos to invest a ton of money to renovate this (what is now a) fine old hotel. I love places like this, that anchor the old downtown and embrace the history of the region. The thing about Alpine is that the modern chain hotels are all out on the fringe of the town, but the Holland is at ground zero of this Texas outpost. And its got it going on! There's a nice bar, serving local brews on tap; there was some excellent live music in the courtyard; and I had two or three fantastic conversations with the front desk staff regarding places to eat and visit and the like. Note: while the Holland breakfast is fine and complementary, the little bakery two doors down has bombtastic cranberry muffins that you don't want to miss. The prices for rooms at the Holland are not only fair and reasonable, but probably low compared to the good stuff that you get.

The only downside -- and it is a BIG downside -- are the train whistles that punctuate the night. If you are a light sleeper, the Holland Hotel is probably not the place for you.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank El_Pelicano

I am so happy to hear what a wonderful time you had with us! Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments! We value our guests' feedback, without it we couldn't strive to make each stay more enjoyable and better than the last! FYI the City of Alpine and Union Pacific are currently working on a "quiet zone" for the town! Hopefully it will be passed through soon! Please let us know the next time you will be in town!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Love everything about this hotel, but I am not a heavy sleeper and the location means my pillow was about 70 yards from the train tracks. The provided earplugs did not block the sound. Trains came through at all hours. I left after two nights exhausted almost to tears.
If you can sleep through anything, go. It is really charming.
Side note to owners- there is no excuse for mildew in the shower, but as a frequent traveler, I am amazed how often I see it. Go to the store today and buy a bottle of mildew remover. Easy and cheap fix.

Room Tip: Ask for their quietest room on the back side. Hope it,works for,you, because this really is a very n...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2ta

Thank you so much for writing a review on your stay with us! I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on sleep quality and cleanliness. I can assure you the next time you do visit us your room will be squeaky clean! Thank you so much for pointing out your issues, they were corrected the day of your review. I also wanted to let you know The City of Alpine and Union Pacific are in the works of configuring a "quiet zone" for Alpine! Hopefully it will be implemented soon. I can assure you, should you choose to stay with us next time, you will definitely have a more peaceful sleep with no train horn noise, Thanks again!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Holland Hotel has something that's rare in a hotel - a true sense of place. When we arrived at the Holland over Spring Break, we felt like we had stumbled upon on a laid-back party for guests and Alpine residents alike. There was music in the courtyard and good food at the Century Grill. During our five nights at the Holland we would wander out to Marfa, Fort Davis and Big Bend but always come back for a relaxing evening at the Holland. The rooms were comfortable, the service was good and the local insider tips of where to go from the hotel's general manager were spot-on. We'll be back.

Room Tip: The Holland is across the street from the railroad tracks. Wasn't a problem for us but ear plugs...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Echo66
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words and lovely compliments. It sounds like y'all had a great time. We value our guests reviews and feedback in order to make your next stay better than your last. Thanks again! Please let us know when you will be returning!

Warm Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
#4 of 13 in Alpine
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!