“Fabulous Except for the Damn Train”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Lafayette, California, United States
“Fabulous Except for the Damn Train”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I raise my glass to whoever it was who had the huevos to invest a ton of money to renovate this (what is now a) fine old hotel. I love places like this, that anchor the old downtown and embrace the history of the region. The thing about Alpine is that the modern chain hotels are all out on the fringe of the town, but the Holland is at ground zero of this Texas outpost. And its got it going on! There's a nice bar, serving local brews on tap; there was some excellent live music in the courtyard; and I had two or three fantastic conversations with the front desk staff regarding places to eat and visit and the like. Note: while the Holland breakfast is fine and complementary, the little bakery two doors down has bombtastic cranberry muffins that you don't want to miss. The prices for rooms at the Holland are not only fair and reasonable, but probably low compared to the good stuff that you get.

The only downside -- and it is a BIG downside -- are the train whistles that punctuate the night. If you are a light sleeper, the Holland Hotel is probably not the place for you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank El_Pelicano
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am so happy to hear what a wonderful time you had with us! Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments! We value our guests' feedback, without it we couldn't strive to make each stay more enjoyable and better than the last! FYI the City of Alpine and Union Pacific are currently working on a "quiet zone" for the town! Hopefully it will be passed through soon! Please let us know the next time you will be in town!

Warm Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Love everything about this hotel, but I am not a heavy sleeper and the location means my pillow was about 70 yards from the train tracks. The provided earplugs did not block the sound. Trains came through at all hours. I left after two nights exhausted almost to tears.
If you can sleep through anything, go. It is really charming.
Side note to owners- there is no excuse for mildew in the shower, but as a frequent traveler, I am amazed how often I see it. Go to the store today and buy a bottle of mildew remover. Easy and cheap fix.

Room Tip: Ask for their quietest room on the back side. Hope it,works for,you, because this really is a very n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2ta
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review on your stay with us! I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on sleep quality and cleanliness. I can assure you the next time you do visit us your room will be squeaky clean! Thank you so much for pointing out your issues, they were corrected the day of your review. I also wanted to let you know The City of Alpine and Union Pacific are in the works of configuring a "quiet zone" for Alpine! Hopefully it will be implemented soon. I can assure you, should you choose to stay with us next time, you will definitely have a more peaceful sleep with no train horn noise, Thanks again!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Holland Hotel has something that's rare in a hotel - a true sense of place. When we arrived at the Holland over Spring Break, we felt like we had stumbled upon on a laid-back party for guests and Alpine residents alike. There was music in the courtyard and good food at the Century Grill. During our five nights at the Holland we would wander out to Marfa, Fort Davis and Big Bend but always come back for a relaxing evening at the Holland. The rooms were comfortable, the service was good and the local insider tips of where to go from the hotel's general manager were spot-on. We'll be back.

Room Tip: The Holland is across the street from the railroad tracks. Wasn't a problem for us but ear plugs...
1 Thank Echo66
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and lovely compliments. It sounds like y'all had a great time. We value our guests reviews and feedback in order to make your next stay better than your last. Thanks again! Please let us know when you will be returning!

Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Original plans to stay in Marfa were not to be, since everything was booked the first weekend of our spring break. Before scrapping plans to travel to the Big Bend area we came across one of the most charming and comfortable hotels in Alpine, Texas. With historic ambiance and present day luxuries, The Holland Hotel is an unexpected and unassuming oasis in the heart of Big Bend country. Great beds, clean bathrooms, friendly and efficient check-in, hot breakfast, and a complimentary drink on night one made for a great start of our journey west. Would definitely stay here again and have already told others about this little gem in Alpine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol B
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us! I am so happy to hear what a great time you had with us. Also, thank you for spreading the word! We are very excited about your next visit!

Georgetown, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautifully restored building. Family Friendly game room, quiet reading room. We were passing thru town, found this hotel, the staff was so friendly. While we already had a place to stay, they invited us back to listen to their live entertainment that evening. We felt so welcome even though we were not registered guests of the hotel. We came back that evening after spending the day walking around this quaint friendly little town. With our pets in hand, the hotel allowed our 4 legged family into the courtyard where we were treated to a Wonderful 3 piece band - Alpine Trio - as they called themselves. These guys were AWESOME!!!!! So much fun, such a variety of music, not too loud, and very good with the crowd. I hope to hear them again when we get back into town. The hotel staff took such good care of us. One in particular was Allie. She was incredible. Allie was wonderful with us, very caring to our children. She brought our youngest crayons and paper to color to keep her entertained. She was the only waitress we saw in the courtyard and took care of everyone the same way. Very sweet, took her time with everyone. To the manager Julie and all her staff, Thank You very much. We look forward to staying with your hotel the next time we are thru town. You guys were AWESOME!!!!!!! Darrin and Jo Ann, the girls, and dogs.

2 Thank Darrin L
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Darrin, Jo Ann, girls and puppies!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience at The Holland. Your kind words and lovely compliments mean so much to our staff! We want everyone who walks through our door to feel like they are "home" away from home! Thank you!!! I am looking forward to staying in touch with y'all throughout the year and can't wait for y'all to stay with us! We will strive to make your next experience even better than your first.

Warm Regards!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reviewing their website, I had high expectations for a pleasant 4 night stay. When I arrived, the only parking space available was a side lot. From this area, one has to walk through this lot to a sidewalk then to the entrance of the hotel. The parking lot was not in good shape… cracked concrete, weeds around the edges. Upon registering, I was informed that the elevator was being serviced but the stairs was convenient. So, I trekked up stairs with all baggage in tow. Not pleasant.
When I arrived at my room on the second floor, I was surprised to find the door to my assigned room ajar. Thinking the maids were cleaning, I peered into the room and found no one. At this point, I began thinking this may be a mistake, but I persevered. Set my baggage in the room, rechecked the room number, closed and locked the door and proceeded to the front desk to report the open door. The clerk had not explanation. This is a very old hotel and is showing it use. The door knobs appear to be original… maybe 100 years old.
Following dinner, I was ready for a good night’s rest. This was not in the cards. The Holland Hotel allows pets in the rooms. A couple of doors down the hall was a little “yapper”… yes a small dog with a high pitch rapid bark, calling constantly for its master who was nowhere to be found. This was extremely annoying and the front desk was no help.
Finally, later this evening, the master of this beast returned and all became quiet… for a short while. Then, the blast of the trains sounded. The Holland Hotel sits in the middle of town and across the street from the train depot… literally 225 feet from the railroad tracks. All night long and at every crossing, the trains passing through Alpine are required to blast their horn to warn cars from crossing the tracks. There are 5 roads that cross the tracks. So, each hour throughout the night, the train sound its horn 5 times.
Needless to say the next morning I left very tired and disappointed… never to return again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank PT C
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay in May 2012. I appreciate very much your thoughts and comments from your stay almost 1 year ago. Our hotel has been through a major renovation in these last couple of years, it is a long extensive process to renovate a building that is almost 100 years old, meaning renovations cannot happen overnight. I do apologize for your inconveniences and would have like to have known your issues with the hotel staff at the time of your stay so I could have corrected and retrained my staff appropriately. We have gone through many upgrades since your stay almost 1 year ago. I have searched our database and have been unable to find a record of your stay in May 2012. I would like to invite you to reach out to me to discuss this further. I would hope you will contact me, I would like the chance to change your mind and give The Holland a second chance. If you so choose, you can contact me at julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com.

Texas
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed here 1 night on the way to our Big Bend vacation. We really enjoyed the stay. Hotel has been renovated and restored and is really nice. Very friendly service. Our room was very nice and roomy considering the age of the building. Dinner at the Century restaurant was very good as well.

Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. We value our guests feedback and encourage it in order to improve our services for your next visit. Thank you for your kind words regarding our "friendly service"! It means so much to us. Please let us know when you will be back!

Warm Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!