“WONDERFUL STAY but, don't get "The Guest Quarters"”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Dallas, Texas
“WONDERFUL STAY but, don't get "The Guest Quarters"”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

When we first arrived after landing in Midland Texas airport and drove through what I thought was going to make me cry---we saw the the desert suddenly give way to mountains and pretty green vistas. Alpin was very quaint. The Holland was having the resturant renovated but, aside from that Laura Bush was speaking there that day and we were pretty much "locked out" of the bar and what later turned out to be a beautiful lobby and patio. Everyone was friendly and they tried to make us comfortable right away however.....the guy man with wild colored glasses was VERY EXCITED to show us to the "Guest Quarters" let me warn you......these were nothing but, run down apartments with ALLEY way entry to the beautiful and ACTUAL Holland Hotel.

Naturally --I balked--no way I was staying in those dumpy "renovated" "quarters" the manager was very kind--they were "sold out" and we knew they were--we were with a rather large group that came to the area to harvest grapes. SURELY they knew I would not have stayed in "The Quarters" after we paid for The Holland Hotel.

After much back and forth--we were given a room that was LOVELY---a very large room with a nice jaccuzzi tub. The king size bed was very nice it had a a water closet apart from the bath area and very "vintage" time period furnishings along with real "keys" to the double doors and nice lighting touches and bedding.

I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE I know that stayed in the ACTUAL Hotel.....the Lobby and patio were very nice. We were offered a complimentary drink and enjoyed the patio. It was so peaceful I could have taken a book and sat with a cool drink and stayed a few more days.

Take it from me--the place is great--the manager is wonderful but, don't let the young guy behind the desk put you in "The Guest Quarters" stay in the real Holland Hotel--you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building not the "Guest Quarters" "enjoy the lobby and the patio wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tripguru43
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for the fabulous comments regarding the Holland Hotel…and the compliments regarding staff and management! We are thrilled that your stay turned out to be great…and that we resolved the confusion regarding your room! The Guest Quarters are a managed property, located in Alpine’s old historic clinic…and the owner of that property has decorated all of her renovated apartments in a euro-modern style…which some folks like, and others don’t! And we agree, the alley is kind of a mess at this time due to our construction…but that area should be back up to par by the end of the month!
Again, thank you for the time you took to write this great review…we look forward to seeing you again!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Azle, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I bought a Groupon for 2 nights at the Holland Hotel not really knowing what to expect. My decision was based solely on the fact it was a historic hotel, one of my passions. When I stepped foot through the front doors, my eyes were filled with wonderment. I felt like a kid in a candy store! Such a beautiful place tucked away in this tiny West Texas town.
They had to switch rooms at check in, which was not problem at all. I was offered a loft room or a very large room. I chose the large room and it was fantastic. Very clean, beautifully decorated, 2 bedrooms, a living room, and bathroom. It even had a small bar and it overlooked the nice courtyard below. They provide earplugs for the train, but I never heard it during the night.
The Bread & Breakfast cafe down the street was a quaint place to eat.Good comfort food, and awesome scratch made bread, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, etc. I ordered a little extra than what the hotel voucher offered and it was very inexpensive.
I had invited a few people to go with me but all declined. So I made the trek alone. They are the ones that missed out! The staff was super friendly and attentive. Julie, the manager, was so nice and very knowlegeable about the places of interest, the best places to eat, and what was open or not on Sundays. She let me hang out at the front desk and we chatted it up awhile. Julie is certainly a great asset to the place.
I had the best weekend in Alpine at the Holland Hotel. It made a huge impression on me. I was sad I had to leave but plan on returning next year with my children. We will take the train there from Ft Worth. I really look forward to eating at the new restaurant they are opening. With places like these, I won't stay in another chain hotel again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fortwchic
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unless they changed out all of the furnishings in two days, I saw nothing that resembled Ikea in Loft 2 (as mentioned in the post below). We checked out on July 30 after staying 4 nights in Loft 2 during Viva Big Bend 2012. I think there's some confusion with the "Guest Quarters" building next to the Lofts. The Guest Quarters is all Ikea. The Lofts are anti-Ikea! We stay at the Holland "frequently" (considering it's 510 driving miles from our home!) and it is an excellent hotel. We never stay anywhere else when we're in Alpine (although we do try to work in a night at the Gage in Marathon every now and then, mainly for their great swimming pool!)

Room Tip: The Lofts are quieter than the main hotel because they are behind it, away from the highway.
1 Thank Jim K
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay in the Lofts…we are happy to be managing this property…it has great appeal to folks who want some extra room, ground floor access, and maybe even an outdoor grill! We have just recently begun managing the Lofts property, and the Wright Building apartments…both of which are located immediately behind the hotel, and both of which have a completely different ambiance! True, the Wright Building apartments, although in a historic clinic, are decorated in Euro-modern…but they provide great amounts of space for families and groups! And the Lofts are so named for their loft-style, although they are on the ground floor! And the owner of the Lofts has many historic photos, and memorabilia from his family’s Big Bend pioneer days!
Thanks for the comments…and we can’t wait for ya’ll to visit again!
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Holland Hotel for 4 nights while attending the Viva Big Bend Music Festival. The Holland served as the headquarters for this event and was a vibrant place the whole weekend. The staff at the hotel were very upbeat all weekend and were attentive to all of our needs! We have stayed at the Holland several times and have been more than satisfied with the rooms as we're fond of historic hotels. The beds are very comfortable and the location in town can't be beat. The Holland is preparing to open a restaurant on the premises and we are eager to try it out on our next visit. If you're looking to stay in a restored historic landmark then the Holland Hotel should be at the top of your list when visiting Alpine! Finally, if you are a music fan check out Viva Big Bend next summer....you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Ellen M
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! Viva Big Bend was a blast. It was wonderful to see the hotel revitalized with music and people! We are looking forward to it each year. We are also very glad to hear that you all had a great weekend. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. Our guests are very important to us and without your feedback we couldn't strive to make each stay more enjoyable.

Warm Regards
austin, texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Walking into the lobby of the Holland Hotel was shear appreciation for the wonderful restoration that has taken place. Having grown up in Alpine, I have seen some of the changes over the years and this time, the Holland Hotel welcomes you with it's original beauty and feel. What a treat! Save the stays at the newer hotels in town for when you have no other choice. Choose the Holland when in Alpine, you will not be sorry. You will have more to share when you get home and talk about your trip. History galore at every turn. You will not be giving up anything in the way of comforts and services. The staff was totally service oriented, professional but miles away from stuffiness! Cool little bar tucked into the lobby so plenty of room to spread out and check it all out! New restaurant being added and opening soon. Please support this great hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Wow what a wonderful review and it means so much coming from someone who grew up in Alpine. The Holland has been through so much throughout the years, everything you have witnessed. It is definitely a treasure of Alpine with history galore pouring out of the doors! The staff really appreciates all your kind words. Thank you!
London
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed in Alpine as a stop-off on the Sunset Limited train, primarily to visit Big Bend, but in the end our short stay in the town ended up being a highlight of the trip.

The hotel is located right across the street from the station, which is very convenient. When we arrived, there was no sign of our rental car, so the person on reception kindly called the company, who duly arrived and parked our car in the station car-park - again, very convenient free parking, right across the street from the hotel.

The hotel itself is classic station-style, with plenty of dark wood and a lovely renovated lobby. Our room was a decent size (not huge), with a good bathroom and high-quality toiletries provided, and a very comfortable bed. We also didn't have any trouble at all sleeping, despite our room overlooking the station itself.

We had a great breakfast at a local cafe, for which you receive a voucher, and a free drink of our choice at the bar. The barman was really accomodating, and has a great old book of cocktails, which he was happy to experiment with. Subsequently, we walked down the street to the Railroad Blues bar, which was a great experience on a Saturday night, and very close to the hotel.

Overall, the hotel was clean, brilliantly renovated, conveniently located and had helpful, friendly staff. For the price (we paid around $90 I think), it couldn't be beaten.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank N_Lon_09
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We value your thoughts and feedback so much! Our hotel is definitely conveniently located by everything a guest needs to make their stay more enjoyable. The renovations are continuing with The Century Bar and Grill set to open in the fall. Please come back and visit us. If there is anything you may need please give us a call. Thanks again!
Arlington,TX
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The rooms were wonderful, a great old place, restored to greatness. The beds are the most comfortable I have slept in and the linens are very soft. The staff, from the desk clerks to the maid staff are friendly and wonderful. There is newer in the area but you need to stay here once to say you have stayed here. Close to many sites in the city, making walking to everything easy. Staff also very helpful when looking for suggestions as to what to do and go see. Bar is excellent with first drink of the day free. A new bar and restrauant soon to open too. If anything like the rest of the hotel, they will be excellent as well. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: The penthouse is great, with a private hot tub abnd you can't beat the price. The balcony suite...
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank You so much for your kind words and lovely comments. Without our guests' feedback we could not strive to make each stay more enjoyable than the last. Our staff really appreciates your kind words also. Please let us know the next time you will be in Alpine, we have great repeat guest specials!

Warm Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!