“Decent food and adequate service.”
Review of Penny's Diner

Penny's Diner
Ranked #20 of 43 Restaurants in Alpine
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The wait staff are professional but not overly friendly. They seemed to be somewhat impatient with the customers.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I moved to Alpine about 1.5 years ago had breakfast every Saturday for about 8 months at pennys while staying at attached motel .The hashbrowns were never good,the eggs scorched no matter how ordered,my last trip in there waited 10 minutes before anyone spoke ,then got coffee and ordered food 5 minutes later an told it will be 30 minutes while cook cleans grill,it was 1:45 pm on sunday ridiculous I will never spend another penny at pennys and will keep my friends from going there .Until there are some serious changes ,on a side note the last 4 months I and three others have eaten there at least 5 nights a week .No more

2  Thank medaniel52
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Ate here on an overnight stop in Alpine, TX. The food was fantastic, the ice cream (milkshake) yummy and the prices weren't too outrageous.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Family and I ate dinner and breakfast here on our trip to Alpine and while staying at the Oak Tree Inn next door which is in conjunction with the diner. Dinner was pretty good and the lady that took our order was also the cook that night and she was nice and had our food out fairly quick. We all had burgers and fries and our 3 year old daughter also had a vanilla malt. Everything was decent and we enjoyed our meal that evening. Since we were staying in their hotel we were given free breakfast tickets, which we were all excited to use the next morning. Next morning before checking out of the hotel we went in for breakfast and it was nothing like the night before. The ladies working that morning were all sitting around the counter eating and talking and were touching the food to be served with their bare hands. I saw the young lady cook grab my bacon with her bare hands before laying it on the plate, then she grabbed the bread with her bare hands also and dropped in the toaster, then the woman serving us got the bread out of the toaster and put it on my plate and once again with her bare hands. I didn't want to say anything and I still tried eating my breakfast. I ordered eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns. The eggs were dry and tasted like rubber and the bacon was ok although it had gone through several hands before it ever made it's way to me. The hash browns were served cold and were hard, it sounded like I was eating chips as I tried to eat them, even the woman serving said "Oh, Those hash browns!". I guess she knew they were bad, but yet she still served them.
We will never eat breakfast in this place again, Mcdonald's would have been 50 times better than this and it's sad because we really enjoyed our dinner, but our breakfast experience really turned us off from this place. The 50's decor and roadside cafe feel to this place is great, but food wise they just don't deliver.

2  Thank ourtexastravels
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The diner looks impressive, but the food was OK - not outstanding. Normal Diner fare. Open holidays - tied to the hotel next door.