“nights out”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Reata Restaurant

Reata Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Reata Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Alpine
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alpine, Texas
“nights out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Good customer service ,good food,a little pricey but overall a good place for supper ,very good deserts and a full bar if you want to have an alcoholic beverage. historic building right downtown

Visited February 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
“A must in Texas.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great atmosphere...you feel like you are on a movie set in Texas as you enter. Great bar area with the choice to sit at the bar or the big leather couches. The dining room is quite big, but still with good ambience. The steak was tender and my husbands chile poblanos unique and very tasty. The service was attentive without being annoying.

• Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
“A Disappointing Return Visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

We dined at Reata in early 2012 and had a very good experience. We liked it so much we made a special overnight stop in Alpine just so we could return for a second time. Unfortunately there will not be a third.

It's hard for me to believe that this was the same place we enjoyed so much just 25 months earlier. Service was ok, though we had to flag our waitress down a couple of times. Perfunctory would be the best descriptor.

Overdone or stale rolls and bisquits arrived with what we think was supposed to be a cheese spread of some sort. The spread was frozen solid. You could break it like you could an ice cube, but you couldn't spread it. But what the hey, we didn't really want to anyway since the rolls were hard and not edible..

We shared black bean and chicken nachos as a first course and they were as good as we remembered them. We should have stopped there. My wife ordered the fillet and I ordered their "specialty", a ribeye. Both were not nearly worth the price. My wife's fillet was literally tasteless. It was tender but if there hadn't been a sauce on it there would not have been any taste at all. My ribeye was not a ribeye at all but a thinly cut piece of very fatty meat, more like a hanger steak. I understand that real ribeyes are marbled with some fat and thus tasty. This steak had large globs of fat in a piece of meat less than 1/2 inch thick. The potato and veggie side was ok. I'd gage the entire meal at about Ryan Steakhouse quality. All this for Ruth Chris prices.

Needless to say, we won't be making any more detours to Reata's on our next visit to Big Bend country.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank racar22
Thomasville, Georgia
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We dined here while staying in Alpine and did not have reservations. Fortunately, we were able to get a small table with a very short wait. Our entrees were delicious and we enjoyed our meal and the ambiance of the restaurant. Our server was friendly but very overworked so our service suffered slightly. It was not a big issue though and we are very glad we took the time to experience the Reata.

Visited December 2013
texas
“Fantastic Food; Awesome Ambiance-Will keep returning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We've eaten here off and on for years. The Reata is a western restaurant house in an old home. The rooms are dark and cozy, and the décor is very rustic. We've had steaks, salads, sandwiches, desserts...you name it. My husband says the steaks are the best he's had in a long time. I enjoy the salads. They have specials where the offer unique dishes not on the traditional menu. The desserts are HUGE and yummy! My husband loves the tamale (yes, it's a dessert) and I love the molten cake and tres leches. We also came here on Christmas Eve this past Christmas, and it was superb!

The wait staff is knowledgeable, and hover just enough to help without being annoying.

The prices are not cheap, but it's well worth the cost.

This house actually happens to have belonged to a great great aunt of mine, Daisy! lol. nice tidbit that makes me think of the lives lived in Alpine, many decades ago every time I look around the rooms!

Oh, and the back yard has been turned into a beer garden and tables are set up there for meals. I've had a large family gathering there, plus my 10 year HS reunion was also set on the patio.

Definitely, a favorite restaurant for my family and me!!

• Visited December 2013