“Excellent meal and great service”
Review of Reata Restaurant

Reata Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Reata Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Alpine
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The original Reata Restaurant located in the scenic Davis Mountains of west Texas offers the same fine dining and Legendary Texas Cuisine you can find at the Fort Worth location. Alpine, home to Sul Ross State University is near Texas tourist destination Big Bend National Park and the towns of Marathon, Fort Davis and Lajitas. Alpine is also a short drive from Marfa, Texas renowned both for the mysterious Marfa Lights and Donald Judd’s Chinati Foundation. Reata, named after the legendary ranch in the James Dean classic movie, “Giant”, which was filmed in nearby Marfa, boasts the same high quality Southwestern dining you can find in Fort Worth. This is not food for the faint of heart, from Chicken Fried Steak to Calf Fries or the Pepper Crusted Tenderloin and Cowboy Rib Eye Steak, this is a dining experience not to miss. Today, Reata Alpine remains a true destination restaurant, attracting loyal diners from miles beyond the charming converted farmhouse where our Legendary Texas Cuisine was born.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Reata is probably the best place for dinner in Alpine, Texas, and my experience showed me once again why this is so. A fairly small crowd on a Tuesday night, but the service was leisurely and professional. The pork loin and a house salad were excellent, with Southwest accents in the vegetables and breads. I look forward to returning.

1  Thank TxTrvlr88

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very nice service and excellent food, both at lunch and dinner. Lunch is a better value with no degredation in quality; dinner is pricier but of excellent and creative quality,

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Rita, Alpine, TX is quite frankly not simply a restaurant, it is a dining destination. The food is outstanding, the service impeccable, the environment and aesthetics memorable, and the management is clearly committed to excellence in customer service and satisfaction. A special thank you to Zorah for providing unpatrolled service throughout our first evening dining at the restaurant and Kenzie the manager who made our anniversary dinner special with complimentary champagne and desert and our lunch the following day equally special by simply taking the time to visit with us about Alpine as a community.

My wife and I dined at the Reata twice during our weekend in Alpine, Tx. We were both impressed with the quality of service provided by Zorah as demonstrated by her knowledgeable guidance on the perfect appetizer, entrée, dessert, and beverage selections that each complemented the other to make for a perfect meal. My wife and I started the evening with our server Zorah’s choice of tenderloin tamales with pecan mash that set the bar high for what would be an amazing evening of culinary creations from the gifted Reata chef. Following the appetizer we shared a fresh crisp wedge salad that pleased the palate and offered a perfect transition from the tamales to the entrees that were to come. For her entrée my wife enjoyed an exquisitely prepared chicken fried steak that offered a tender quality cut of beef lightly battered with a crispy crust with accompanying peppery white gravy. For my entrée I chose the most memorable Fried Poblano Chile Rellenos stuffed with Cream Cheese, Corn
and Peppers served with a Corn Chowder. The chile was lightly battered in a similar crust as my wife’s chicken fried steak and the magic of the hot and delicious cream cheese, corn, and pepper filling created a delicacy that had to be savored slowly. To end the evening my wife and I were treated to complimentary desert by Kinsey the manager of the Reata to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Of course we chose the signature desert Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding Tamale served with Dulce De Leche. I’ll simply quote our server Zorah’s description, “It will change your life.” I’m not sure if our lives have been changed but I am certain that my wife and I have experienced a restaurant that will always be on our itinerary when we travel to Alpine in the future.

The following day my wife and I decided to return to Reata for lunch. We were treated to another fabulous meal as we chose to sample the delicious onion rings accompanied by Serrano ketchup. The onion rings were dusted with flour and lightly fried to a delicious golden color. My lunch entrée consisted of an addictive Jalapeno and Cilantro Soup that complemented the Sundance Grilled Cheese with Muenster, Gruyere, &Tomatoes sandwich. My wife chose the Reata's Cheese Steak Sandwich that she says had the most tender beef of any cheese steak she has eaten. Along with the hand cut French fries she, like me, once again considered Reata to be in a word, “perfect”.

If spending an hour, a day, a weekend, or a lifetime in Alpine, TX Reata is a must visit for a meal. I suspect that you’ll agree that it is not simply a restaurant but instead a dining destination that is worthy of both raves and reflections.

1  Thank tltalbert
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Party of 14 in a small restaurant and they were very accommodating. All of the food arrived at the same time and was nice and hot. While this is a bit of a pricey restaurant, we liked the casual atmosphere.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Always a fabulous treat to go to this restaurant, welcoming with amazing food. If you get to Alpine, you have to try this,