“Very good, a little pricey.”

The Century Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Century Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 43 Restaurants in Alpine
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Century Bar & Grill offers a distinctive menu infused with tradition as well as the forward motion of the modern age. We have crafted the Century dining experience with a variety of flavors: relax in the comfortable and classic Rio Grande Room, indulge a New York mood at our Chef's Tables with a view on the open kitchen, or savor outdoor dining in the Hotel courtyard under West Texas skies in a delightful high-desert climate. The beautifully designed bar, airy yet intimate, serves superb locally brewed beer from Big Bend Brewery as well as unique cocktails. A favorite of locals, The Century Bar & Grill guarantees anyone visiting the Big Bend a friendly Texas welcome with casual elegance, great food, and good drinks.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I ate here on a Sunday night. I ordered the Pork Chop with Bourbon Apple Cider sauce, with mashed potatoes and green beans. They were out of the pork chop, but replaced it with the pork tenderloin, but still charged me the lesser amount of the pork chop. My husband had the Salmon. Both dishes were cooked beautifully, and the portions very generous. It was the perfect serving for dinner. We had the chocolate torte for dessert. The sauce on my tenderloin was amazing! It was also cooked perfectly. The atmosphere was warm and inviting. The service was prompt, but our server seemed bored. Not rude at all, maybe just a little distracted. My only complaint was the price. The check was $60 for our 2 entrees and one dessert (only water to drink), which is a little more than we are used to. But not so pricey that we wouldn't eat here again. Reservations are recommended.

There are newer reviews for The Century Bar & Grill

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I dined in the stunning restaurant in Alpine Texas....and I mean alpine of all places. Just driving through and we stopped and had dinner. Started with the fried green tomatoes and they were cooked flawlessly. Then I had the most tremendous tasting chicken fried steak and let me say that the gravy was the most scrumptious gravy I have ever had on a chicken fried steak…..yummy!! This place is a necessity!! Hats off to the Chef!!!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We met family in Alpine from many different locations for a little family reunion. We stayed at the Maverick and we were given a coupon for a free drink at the Century Bar and Grill so we decided to try it. When walking into the place it has a great feel with its old charm and Texas warmth. They had a special the night we were there which was Asparagus, Garlic mashed potatoes and a steak. There were 8 of us and we all ordered the same thing, everyone of us ordered it cooked differently, some medium well, medium rare, some well. When we got our food the steaks were all cooked the same, rare, very bloody rare. The steaks were cold and it was served on top of our potatoes, YUK! the blood from the steaks were all over our potatoes and made the appearance disgusting. The steaks were so tuff we could hardly chew it, many of us didn't. The bill was outrageous for what we got and the tip was added in even though we all had our bills separated so there were 2 people on 4 bills. They automatically added a 15% tip which is fine because I usually tip 20% but I didn't appreciate them adding it onto a bill with 2 people on it, it should be our choice and given because we choose to tip that amount. All in all there was not one person who felt that the food was worth the price, especially in a little town like Alpine, could there locals afford to eat there? We did tell the server about our issues, we told her that we were not asking for a free meal nor wee we telling her this for a handout, we just wanted them to be aware. Not one person from management came out to talk to us about the situation, not 1!!! I would not recommend eating there, nor would I eat there again if ever in the area..

3  Thank Kimmer000
Alex A, General Manager at The Century Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Kimmer000,
We do apologize for your experience you had here and wish to make it up to you. As we recall the table of 8 had split 4 Tbone steaks the temperatures on the steaks were medium rare and medium between the 4 steaks. To my knowledge your server made her usual checks on the table and had nothing to report. The end of the meal is where the problem occurred and the food was undercooked and tough and this was told to the server as you recieved the check. I remember what was left of the food was packed up in a to go container (just one) for your party. If this had been brought to my attention immediate action wouldve been taken. As for our gratuity policy it is listed on our menu and by request can be removed. Our standard percent taken out is 20%. We apologize about this and hope you give us a second chance.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

What we tasted was great, but it took an hour to get our appetizer and we end up leaving. Perhaps since they have only been open a few months training is still needed

2  Thank Mia B
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Comfortable dining room and the food was tasty. The Texas Chicken Paillard was very good. The soup of the day (cream of jalapeño) was excellent.