“Unconventional. But... Great steak on styrofoam!”
Review of Lizard Lounge - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lizard Lounge
Cuisines: American
San Antonio, Texas
“Unconventional. But... Great steak on styrofoam!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn just down the road. We were told that on Friday and Saturday night they would be grilling rib-eye steak at the Ramada Inn with a loaded baked potato for a great price - I think it was $12. Some others went and were not so happy. We decided the price was right.

Well, more than the price was right. The steaks were grilled to perfection! They were grilled exactly as ordered and they were seasoned perfectly. Didn't need any A1 sauce or other stuff on it. (Didn't have A1 for my husband). The steaks themselves were so tender and delicious. seems to me we may have used plastic knives on them but they cut easily. The potatoes we dressed ourselves from large containers but it also was just fine.

I am thinking that those who are disappointed are concerned with the informal presentation. The taste of the food is fabulous. There is a place downtown with rib-eyes for more than $50 and the wait was about 3 hours. For us, this place turned out to be just what we needed.

• Visited August 2013

Forney, Texas
“Steak on a styrofoam plate with plastic utensils???”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is the strangest experience at a restaurant I've ever had. First of all, it is a combination bar and typical motel breakfast area. I asked for unsweetened iced tea -- they had only sweet tea. I asked for water and received a bottle of water with a plastic glass of ice for which I was charged $1. I had a $12 ribeye special that comes with baked potato and mushrooms. I requested the steak be cooked medium with hot pink center. When my meal was ready, I was informed that I needed to go into another room (the aforementioned breakfast area) to pick it up and fix my baked potato. Steak with equivalent of one thinly sliced mushroom on top & potato were on a Styrofoam plate! After returning to my table and realizing that there was no way I could eat a steak with a plastic fork and knife, I requested a steak knife which the server promptly brought me. While the presentation and food service method left a great deal to be desired, the steak was very well seasoned, much to my surprise. But, alas, the steak was cooked to well done with no pink center. The meager portion of mushrooms was also delicious. Service was attentive but constrained by the facilities. If this place could decide whether it is a bar or a restaurant (with proper plates & silverware & food brought to the table), I think that would help. Other menu offerings seemed ambitious for the setting but, if steak is any indication, they could be quite good and worth the money. I'm still not sure whether I had dinner in a bar or a motel breakfast buffet area with a bar.

A word about the overcooked steak. Another table's steaks were ready at the same time as mine & there may have been some confusion over which steak belonged to which diner. This could have been avoided by the server bringing the food to the table.

Unusual dining experience, to say the least! But, the steak was tasty. I'm confused by this place!

• Visited September 2013
Granbury, Texas
“Club and Grille within Ramada with the feel of a friendly neighborhood club.”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Friendly staff and local clientele that make the hotel guests feel like they are a part of the neighborhood. Very friendly, reasonable price, and complete bar.

The grille has a limited menu but the chef is experienced and talented and the dinner with a southwestern flair is always excellant. Dinner is included with the room for motel guests and less than $10 for non-guests.

Good friendly home away from home.

• Visited February 2012