“A great destination on campus of Sul Ross State University”

Museum of the Big Bend
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Alpine
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Having served on the faculty at this fine university and raising my daughter in Alpine, we wanted to take my grand daughter to see this wonderful area, so we stayed a week last Thanksgiving. The museum is very well done and quite extensive covering the geography, geology, history and culture. There are also some impressive recreations of indian pictographs and the Chisos Mountains Pour-off in the high altitude "basin". This is of interest to all ages.

In the basement is a fine collection of historic Texas maps.

There are newer reviews for Museum of the Big Bend

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were staying in Alpine, so this museum was definitely on our "To Do" list. We had spent a week touring the Big Bend region and were ready to see a model of the giant flying Pterosaur, which was displayed above us but was partly obscured by lighting and overhead ducting. Too bad. However, a highlight was the 1880s stagecoach in beautiful condition -- with bullet holes in it! And I loved the model of a country store, showing how a giant account book kept receipts for each family, so they could pay up once a year after they shipped their cattle to market. It is also a good place to see displays on Cabeza de Vaca, the first European to visit and document the area in the 1530s. There are also displays on the valiant Buffalo Soldiers who served on Indian-fighting duty until the 1880s.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am a Texas History nut so I absolutely felt honored to see the very EXTENSIVE Historic TEXAS Map Collection at the Museum of the Big Bend on the Sul Ross State University Campus. I was staying in Fort Davis at the Indian Lodge but needed to have a headlight replaced on my Prius. I took my car to the garage on the highway in Alpine so it was a great opportunity to get to leisurely see the exhibits while in Alpine, Texas. The Museum of the Big Bend has the Yana and Marty Davis map collection which is amazing. I later bought the 2007 book "Going To Texas: Five Centuries of Texas Maps" about the Yana and Marty Davis map collection.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was our second visit to the museum. We were interested in the Remmington display. There were several dozen paintings adn a few bronzes. They were well displayed. The price (0) was right. This is worth going out of the way to see.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Our first stop when we arrived in Alpine didn't disappoint. We really could not hear the videos, as the acoustics were awful with the high ceilings. (Ceilings are beautiful though) We did enjoy the selection of works on loan on Remington's works....definitely a good job of defining and display.

Found a great book on the Birds of Texas in the gift shop. Super stop in Alpine on a lovely old college campus.