“Older, but clean and friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunday House Inn

Sunday House Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Pflugerville, Texas
“Older, but clean and friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Reviews for the Sunday House Inn weren't great, but had improved up to the time we were going to be staying there. Options in Alpine at the time of our trip were exceptionally limited, so the Sunday House was pretty much it for us. They are obviously in the midst of updating the rooms - there are old drawers stacked in the breezeways (our room had not yet been that far updated), and the floor had bare wood between the edge of the carpet and the door. We did have a flat screen TV, a mini fridge and a microwave in our room. All very nice. The bathroom needed some serious work, as the floor was squeaky, the faucets leaked and the linoleum cracked. The popcorn ceiling was a definite throwback. The tub was stained, but clean (I know because I had to give my son a bath and went out to get a Magic Eraser to clean the tub for sure and nothing changed). The walls and the doors could have used a good wipe down. However, the service was very good, breakfast was fully stocked, and if the owners update the rest of the rooms as nicely as they've done in the office, the Sunday House Inn will be worth the $85/night charges.

Room Tip: I would ask next time for one of the more updated rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I went to this motel to rent a room because of the impressive video on their website. When we got there, I was not at all impressed with the property's appearance and conditition. I practically went into shock when the lady manager quoted me a price of $89.00. I told her that There's no way I'd pay that much to stay at a run down motel. She came down to $79.00, but I just laughed and left. I drove to the Ramada, which was 10 times nicer and was a rate of $70.00 for a suite, including a made to order breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ETtracker

Travelers are raving about these Alpine hotels

Baird, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

we had to go and enroll my son in sul ross and we stayed at the Sunday House Inn in Alpine Texas the beds where so nice the front desk person was very nice and helpfull i hope she is still there when we return in August
at first i read some of the reviews and was iffy of staying there but they have done some remolding and are still doing more it a very nice place

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Monterey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was very pleased with my experience. This hotel is being renovated so some rooms may still be a work in progress. My room was exceptionally large with new furnishings and a very comfortable King bed. The reception and breakfast areas are new, very clean and as nice as you will find in any motel. The breakfast is more than adequate. Having checked the prices and appearance of other hotels in Alpine I would say this is probably the best value in town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
mslibra80
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

All the hotels in Alpine are overpriced for what you get. Since the next major town is an hour away.... they can get away with it.
I stayed in Alpine one night on a road trip with my best friend to drop her son off at Sul Ross Univ. We could have stayed at the Hampton or Best Western, but their rooms were running a little over $100 after tax, and the facilities didn't seem to be worth that kind of money. I was checking out places on my cell and saw that Oak Tree had better reviews on here than Sunday House with a similar online price of about $60. However when we got there they quoted prices in the $80s... I asked if I could just book it online at the cheaper price on my cell and was told that their computers were down and they wouldn't be able to pull up the reservation (so if I had of booked the room while in the car before coming in we would have been screwed... even with the confirmation #. Gotta love small towns lol).
So we ended up at Sunday House. We paid about $60. In a major city, this place would go for about $30. The room was spacious... the king size bed felt like you were sleeping on a box spring... the sheets were clean.... the towels were clean but rough.... the carpet badly needed vacuuming... the bathroom cleanliness seemed ok but I showered with my flip flops on just in case... the tv was small, old and had a snowy picture. I did not see any bugs inside the room but crickets (or something that looked like them) were everywhere outside when we checked in. I saw them spraying the area as we walked to the restaurant next door. All the crickets were gone by morning. The free breakfast offered eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, and the usual hotel continental breakfast pastries/muffins.
I only recommend this place to those that are looking for a cheap place to sleep for a night and are willing to deal with some of the things I described above.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Taos, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We arrived with a reservation. They didn't have any rooms left at the promised rate, so they upgraded us $30. They showed us a room that was dark, poorly furnished, and full of chemicals. It was almost a pleasure paying $100 to stay someplace alse -- but not quite.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

Cheap price for the location, so not worth the savings. Stained chair cushions, large places of chipped bathtub enamel, mold on bathtub enclosure. no sink stopper, exposed slab at entry door, luke warm water in the shower, no clock, no in room coffee pot, very bad continental breakfast. Exterior appearance of hotel is strickly cosmetic.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family