“Take another look” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Monterey, California
“Take another look”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was very pleased with my experience. This hotel is being renovated so some rooms may still be a work in progress. My room was exceptionally large with new furnishings and a very comfortable King bed. The reception and breakfast areas are new, very clean and as nice as you will find in any motel. The breakfast is more than adequate. Having checked the prices and appearance of other hotels in Alpine I would say this is probably the best value in town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
mslibra80
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

All the hotels in Alpine are overpriced for what you get. Since the next major town is an hour away.... they can get away with it.
I stayed in Alpine one night on a road trip with my best friend to drop her son off at Sul Ross Univ. We could have stayed at the Hampton or Best Western, but their rooms were running a little over $100 after tax, and the facilities didn't seem to be worth that kind of money. I was checking out places on my cell and saw that Oak Tree had better reviews on here than Sunday House with a similar online price of about $60. However when we got there they quoted prices in the $80s... I asked if I could just book it online at the cheaper price on my cell and was told that their computers were down and they wouldn't be able to pull up the reservation (so if I had of booked the room while in the car before coming in we would have been screwed... even with the confirmation #. Gotta love small towns lol).
So we ended up at Sunday House. We paid about $60. In a major city, this place would go for about $30. The room was spacious... the king size bed felt like you were sleeping on a box spring... the sheets were clean.... the towels were clean but rough.... the carpet badly needed vacuuming... the bathroom cleanliness seemed ok but I showered with my flip flops on just in case... the tv was small, old and had a snowy picture. I did not see any bugs inside the room but crickets (or something that looked like them) were everywhere outside when we checked in. I saw them spraying the area as we walked to the restaurant next door. All the crickets were gone by morning. The free breakfast offered eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, and the usual hotel continental breakfast pastries/muffins.
I only recommend this place to those that are looking for a cheap place to sleep for a night and are willing to deal with some of the things I described above.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Alpine hotels

Taos, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We arrived with a reservation. They didn't have any rooms left at the promised rate, so they upgraded us $30. They showed us a room that was dark, poorly furnished, and full of chemicals. It was almost a pleasure paying $100 to stay someplace alse -- but not quite.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

Cheap price for the location, so not worth the savings. Stained chair cushions, large places of chipped bathtub enamel, mold on bathtub enclosure. no sink stopper, exposed slab at entry door, luke warm water in the shower, no clock, no in room coffee pot, very bad continental breakfast. Exterior appearance of hotel is strickly cosmetic.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tommy07cat
Benson, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2009

I travel a lot and at times have averaged over $1200 a month in hotel bills. This is one of the nastiest places I have ever stayed. Its worse than a place I stayed in Massachusetts with a sloping floor and mildew growing up the walls. I normally would have turned around and left as soon as I saw the room, but I was distracted by hunger so I walked in threw my gear down and went to the restaurant next door.
The room smelled like a truckers armpit (I know this because I was a trucker), the carpet was dirty, stained and matted down and the walls where covered with marks and scuffs. The bathroom floor had several cigarette burns, and I belive there was possibly feces smeared on the wall... I'm not kidding. If they vacumed, it was only down the middle of the room, the corners and edges had paint chips and dust on the carpet. When I got up in the morning I noticed the box spring or bottom mattress had numerous brown, reddish stains on the side.
The sheets appeared to be clean, as was the sink and toilet. I paid a total of $55 for the room, an outrageous price, given its condition. It is a disgusting place and they know it - they have a notice on the bottom of the receipt stating you have 15 minutes to determine if the room is not to your liking. I was so grossed out I seriously thought about leaving in the middle of the night to ride 250 miles back home. My memories of the neat little town of Alpine, Texas will forever be tainted by this place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Midland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

I loved staying here, i don't know why the last two ppl are saying this is a bad place, maybe they're not talking about the Sunday House Inn. I came with two other friends, and we had a blast, and we were satisfied with the room. Front desk was very helpful and really nice. The breakfast was enjoyable. My friends and I were looking foward for a weekend of just relaxing and this motel was just right. I would definetely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

The room was disgusting! Dirty room. The motel did not seem safe. Tape is around EVERY window in the motel. My door did not feature a security lock. It was one of those places where you are affraid to sleep in between the sheets. I was thankful to have packed an extra pair of flip flops so I could shower.
I feel that I would have felt safer had I slept in my car!
NEVER STAY AT THIS MOTEL!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business