“Good people, good adventure”
Review of Antelope Lodge

Antelope Lodge
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Lake Kiowa, Texas
“Good people, good adventure”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent my honeymoon here, as a base to travel throughout Big Bend. What a memorable trip! The staff threw an impromtu party for us - completely unexpected - and were so friendly and courteous. My new wife had not been to Big Bend before, although she is much better traveled than I, and was very impressed. She liked the "cabin" type atmosphere a lot, and having the kitchen helped us conserve money.

I've paid a lot more to stay places, but never had a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The price was a little high for what you get BUT for a cozy, unique motel the Antelope Lodge was a gem. You get kitchenette, hot shower, and a clean room. Management was very friendly. Located near the railroad tracks but never heard a train except at 7 PM. The room has cable television. There is a bench and chairs right outside the room to sit and enjoy the evening. The buildings are two rooms. So only one neighbor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David K
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We used to stay at the Antelope every year. Over the past few years it has changed. The rates have gone up ($85 compared to $99 for a super clean Hampton Inn), and the quality has gone down. This wasnt my first time in room 23, and I can say it has been better. Roaches on the bathroom floor. Barking neighbor dogs that went on half the night, making a relaxing evening on the porch impossible. No ice available. Shower water was inconsistant, moving to scalding hot without any warning.

I love the historical motor court concept, but for my money Ill be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you no longer care for the Lodge. To address your specific concerns, let me first say that the rooms have been significantly upgraded over time, with new air conditioners, furniture and fixtures, and everything that hasn't been replaced has been rehabbed. And communication is the key to solving the other problems, and you didn't communicate with us while you were at the Lodge. The "roaches" in the bathroom weren't german cockroaches, but a big bug that comes in to get cool on the tile floor. They do not eat things inside and carry no diseases that I know of. That being said, accept my apology for those critters. Had you told us about them when you were a guest, we could have done something to remove them. We use diatomaceous earth all around the buildings to keep them out, and the wind often blows it away. We could have removed the bugs that were there and renewed the diatomacteous earth aeround the building to keep them from coming back. We use diatomaceous earth rather than poison, although it is not fool-proof like poison is, because of our concern for the environment and the health of our guests. Also, if you had let us know about the dogs, we could have taken steps to find out where they were and have them moved indoors so they wouldn't bother you. Ice is available when the office is open, and calling the night service number when the office is closed would have gotten that for you. As for the scalding shower, again, I apologise. I will check into whatever may have caused that, and get it fixed. Had you spoken to us during your stay, all the problems could have been handled at that time. Or, we would have given you your money back and you could have stayed someplace else.

Travelers are raving about these Alpine hotels

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I live in San Antonio and seek the great out doors on a regular basis. When I feel the need to wonder I go to Alpine Texas and stay at the Antelope Lodge. This Lodge has everything one could ask for beautiful surroundings awesome rocks ( I am a rockhound) places to sit outside, clean, affordable, delightful and helpful management. If you are planning a vacation to Alpine,Texas and the surrounding area and don"t stay at the Antelope you have cheated yourself. Julia Maple

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julia M
Star, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Inn is a modernized, step back into time, with all the amenities. The management and help are delightful and so very accomodating! It's the way the world used to be. Quiet, charming, comfortable, and scenic. Their center courtyard is lovely, with picnic benches and a fireplace, under large sprawling trees, and the office has coffee and hot tea going non-stop! We stayed in both a single room and a suite, and both were delightful! Built in the 40's, but updated, it has touches of 'home' with lovely plates, paintings and the like on the wall, but so different from the modern streamlined motels you find today. It snowed 8" while we were there, and the manager, Brenda provided us with popcorn and hot chocolate to cozy in with! There is a wonderful gift shop filled with beautiful hand-made native American jewelry as well as stones and geodes to buy, a lending library, I cannot say enough wonderful things about this Inn and it's management. It reminds me of places I've stayed in Europe. We highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are further from highway, but noise doesn't seem to be a problem in the suite...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LyndaMiles
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were in the Alpine area to collect agates for our small jewelry business. This lodge has its own rock museum. The owner offers a rock hunting guide service which we used and had such a great time. The Antelope Lodge provided a very quite and clean place for our weeks stay. We would definetly stay at her lodge again.

Room Tip: This place is setup as a tourist court with individual rooms. We stayed towards the front and all wa...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Philip B
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Antelope Lodge is a unique and historical experience in an away from home lodging. The service is excellent and the office personal are very personable along with the museum of gems and minerals on display and for purchase. This is vastly different from the motel chains that are mostly very indiferent to the lodgers. I believe you will be pleased with the overall experience of staying at the Antelope Lodge located in Alpine, Texas

Room Tip: It has been a couple of years since we stayed at the lodge but look back with fond memories of our t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business