“Too expansive for old rooms.”
Review of Antelope Lodge

Antelope Lodge
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Bienne
“Too expansive for old rooms.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were disappointed by the room.Everything is very old.The train is very close from the cabins and is whistling very loudly during the night.It impossible mot to wake up. Sheets were ok like the welcome of the landlady.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Sabelijulie P
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi! I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience at the Antelope Lodge. Please accept my apology. However, I'd like to correct a couple of misconceptions in your review. First, although the Lodge was built in the late 1940s, beds are all new, and the furniture is new (but in a period style) except for a couple of rooms that have the original 1949 furniture in them. Those rooms are the most requested rooms at the Lodge, because what people are interested in is the vintage atmosphere of a restored motor court. Second, the Lodge is actually farther away from the railroad tracks than any other hotel in Alpine. This can be verified by looking at a map of the town. Other hotels, like the Holland, have even had to provide earplugs for their guests in the past because they were so close to the tracks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Antelope Lodge on a recent trip across Texas. It was the perfect stop on our way down to Terlingua. We really enjoyed the rustic charm of the cute little cottages, they have a very homey feel. The furnishings are a little outdated, but i think they are trying to maintain the original look and feel of the lodges, which is fine by me. The price was defenitely right! Each cottage comes with a bed, TV, table and mini kitchen - sink, stove, refrigerator and microwave. (although you have to provide your own dishes) This was perfect for us, as we had planned to stay in that evening a picnic in our room. The also have an outside barbeque and picnic tables in the courtyard, and it's all lit up at night. The lodge is just outside of town, so it wasn't very noisy, even though it is right off the main road. The owners were very friendly and really made us feel at home. Right inside the office is a little museum of rocks and minerals found in the area. They even sell stones and beads at extremely reasonable prices. I picked up some beautiful coral to make a necklace and bracelet for only about $6! Would defenitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are right on the road, so if you want to be away from it, choose a more expensive...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank texasbondgrrl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My father and I were going to stay here for a few nights while visiting my sister in Alpine. We ended up checking in, and then leaving later on in the evening without staying the night.

I'll say this; the place is not for everyone. The woman who checked us in was very nice, and we were placed in rooms 19 and 20. My dad commented on the appearance of the rooms, since they are quite old and a bit smaller than what he is used to. I, however, did not mind. I noticed some really pretty art work in the bathroom and clean, white, fluffy towels in the bathroom. The bedspread looked a bit dingy (mostly just a bad choice in color, I think), but when I smelled the sheets, they smelled like fabric softener. The bed itself was comfortable as well (my pillows were especially fluffy). The room had a little kitchenette, and all of the plates and cooking gear was kept in a different location, but we were politely informed that if there was anything that we needed, then all we had to do was ask and we would have access to it. One thing is that the shower had a really low water pressure, as some other comments have indicated.

The reason my father and I did not stay the night was because we noticed cockroaches everywhere. My dad killed two, but when we started looking around, there were at least ten more on the walls and ceiling of his room. Looking at my room closer, there were bugs on my walls and ceiling as well. I didn't count all of them, but saw a couple, up to around five, with a quick once-over. My dad informed management, we received a full refund, and we left.

The lodge is in the middle of the desert, and it's old, so it's understandable if bugs found there way inside some of the cabins (or at least this one). Once cockroaches find their way inside, it can be really difficult to get rid of them. (These were small and probably babies). The bugs will probably be addressed, since we did inform the woman at the front desk. I don't think it was a problem with cleanliness, but was rather due to some bad luck. I like to camp out, and I've stayed in some challenging places, so the aging of the utilities and even the bugs did not bother me much. Something like the Antelope Lodge could definitely be an experience that I enjoy, bugs and all. Overall, the place was very rustic and quaint. However, if you are someone who is looking for modern comfort, you shouldn't come here.

If you like outdoor things like hiking or camping, or if you enjoy minimalism and a rustic feel, then I say give this place a go. If you are someone who is looking for a simple, comfortable stay, I'd say go down the street to a different hotel. I'm sure that we could have been relocated to a different room, but in the end, we were looking for something a little more modern and my father wasn't as accepting of the bugs as I was.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebie420
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, and for pointing out the bugs in your room. I want to make it clear to those who read this review that the bugs were not cockroaches of the type that live in homes and come from bad cleaning practices. As we are a motor court, all the rooms have doors that open directly to the outside. These bugs are a beetle that lives in the bushes and grass outside the rooms and occasionally get into a room when the door is left open for a very long time. These bugs are harmless, and have already been removed byour excellent housekeeping department.

Please do come back and visit us again - I guarantee that your experience with the bugs will not be repeated!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Antelope Lodge is a beautiful, serene collection of cottages. Most of the cottages are made up of two separate guest rooms so there is a lot of privacy, yet a feeling of community. The staff is friendly and warm. Each cottage room has a kitchenette with a fridge, sink, and electric burners and you can borrow pans, utensils, and dinnerware from the office. Each room also has cable, free internet, and A/C. There is an inner courtyard with barbecue pits and picnic tables for barbecuing, picnicking or just enjoying the outdoors (on clear nights you can see view the stars). In addition, each cottage has a front covered porch with chairs and benches for sitting outside (though some use this area for smoking). Though the office closes early, there is a staff member who lives on premises. The office also houses a jewelry, rock and gem store, with a small rock museum. Lodgers receive a 10% discount off purchases at the store.
We have been coming here for over five years and the rates are reasonable, the staff is friendly, and the cottages are quaint and comfortable.

Room Tip: The rooms along the courtyard are a personal favorite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RA P
Minnesota
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I loved our stay at the Antelope Lodge. We arrived on Thanksgiving after a long drive and when I asked where we could eat they showed us to their kitchen where they had the biggest Thanksgiving spread I've ever seen. We ate a huge Thanksgiving meal and felt like we were at home even though we couldn't spend it with our families.

If you are expecting a modern 5 star hotel I would not recommend this. If you are looking for a rustic, unique and inviting west Texas experience with great hospitality and a friendly outgoing staff this is the place for you!

Room Tip: You may have to play around with the shower a bit to get it just right.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MateoVerito
Connecticut/Quito
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed here while attending a conference at Sul Ross University. As others have noted it is an old-time motor court : a series of units, two to a building, with a central patio and basic furnishings. The staff was helpful and answered questions. There is an interesting rock display and gift shop adjoining the lobby. My kids would have loved this place! Good value and a change from a chain motel/hotel. The Texas Fusion restaurant is just down the highway.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank SoAmertransplant
Driftwood, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have enjoyed staying at the Antelope Lodge due to it's closeness to central Alpine and due to the fact they have a real kitchenette with stove. We like to eat in sometimes and this is the best bet. The neighborhood is a bit down but we've never had any trouble except for one night with a barking dog in the trailer park next to the Lodge's property.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and any special cooking gear. They have some stuff but the selection is limit...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for your very nice review. Just wanted to let you know that we've replace all the old air conditioners with new, quiet ones this fall.