“Clean and funky but just couldn't get a good night's sleep” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Antelope Lodge

Antelope Lodge
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
austin
“Clean and funky but just couldn't get a good night's sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I really wanted to love this place because it is charming and relaxing around the courtyard, and I like places that are a bit different. And I did love it, at least until we tried to get some sleep. It wasn't that it was too loud but the bed was just sooo bad. I think this bed might have been around since the beginning because it was so squishy and lumpy. These were two of the most sleepless nights I've had from a not so good bed in a long time.
If a comfortable bed is not high on your priority list then this place should be fine. It is quiet, clean and has plenty of hot water for showers. The rooms are small and dated, but in good condition and clean. But just beware the bed may be very uncomfortable (and bring your own pillow unless you like lumpy). People are very nice here too.

Room Tip: suites seemed a little more musty than the cottages
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AustinTrip
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
My husband and I have owner the Antelope Lodge for 16 years. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service. But we can't fix a problem if we don't know it exists.

Again, this review was written by someone who didn't talk to us about his problem. The mattresses in the suites are new, firm pillow-top mattresses, and not everyone likes them, because the pillow-top portion of the mattres is soft although the underlying mattress is very firm. We would gladly have moved the guest to another room if he/she had told us that they didn't like the beds.

Perhaps I could understand someone not asking us for a different room if they stayed only one night and didn't want to have to move during the evening. But this guest stayed two nights.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

I love that the owners of this late 1940's motor court are endeavoring to keep the funky charm of it in the face of competition from cookie-cutter hotel & motel chains. We stayed in Room #5 which faces onto a lovely courtyard dominated by a huge tree that's lit with pretty little lights at night. I sat on a picnic bench and read while I did my laundry in the laundry room that's made available for guests. The room was clean as could be, and there was parking right next to it. Although we didn't cook in our room, there was a little kitchenette that was perfectly adequate, along with a sign indicating that pots and pans, dishes, and silverware could be obtained in the front office. There was a window A/C unit, but the weather was cool enough that we didn't need to use it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thewalkinglady
Katy, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

Our bad luck to rool into town on Sul ross graduation night, and no rooms in town...except #13 at the Antelope Lodge. This place is a dump. Since the door did not lock, we stayed inside, armed, and baracaded the door. the bathroom is ridiculously small. the only plusses were it was there, relatively cheap, and we didn't pick up any bugs. Avoid this place, other than the rock shop. We got out of there ASAP the next morning. Don't know if their other "rooms" are better, and don't care. we will never find out !

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank davidtevans
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
First, let me assure you that all the room doors at the Antelope Lodge do indeed lock. Otherwise, why would we ever have given you a room key? If you couldn't figure out how to lock the door, you could have gone to the office or called us, and we would have sent someone out to show you. Your comment about how you “stayed inside, armed and baracaded the door” says more about your attitude than it says about the Lodge. Alpine, TX is a nice, safe place to be. I understand that you didn't like the Lodge, but your letter sounds like a rant. I'll bet you are one of those men who won't ask for directions, either.

Travelers are raving about these Alpine hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

First off, I'm sad to hear about the health of John, one of the owners & pray for his condition to improve.

I took a w/e road trip to Big Bend National Park and to explore the region last summer. I always try & seek out kitschy Indy motels and this was one that came up as I research lodging in the region.

Upon arriving & finding a rock/gem shop inside the front office, I knew this was going to be unique memorable experience.

After being disappointed by an old but restored motel on Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM this was a welcome sight after hours of driving.

The room I stayed in was well suited for probably 2 adults 1 child at best but since I was alone, that was not an issue.

It was clean comfortable and oozed nostalgia, 20th century automobile heydays and the spirit of the old Southwest.

Recommend over any other budget or even mid market hotel chain. A rare treat in these days of cookie cutter homes, shops, cars and yes, motels in the true sense of the word.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

I've stayed at the Antelope Lodge many times and in many different rooms. All are equally as nice. Sure it's an older place...that's why I like it. Maybe it's because I don't 'look' for a reason to leave. I think if I was as unsatisfied as the previous reviewer was, I'd have packed up, asked for my money back (whether I had booked for 2 nights or not!) and headed out!

Let's see...I had a broken black lock on my door, but my deadbolt worked just fine. The kitchenette in the room was so convienent and the dishes were available in the office. There were there for the asking. I have asked for extra pillows and got them immediately. I have asked for more towels and got them right away. I have asked for extra coffee and got it right away. I'm always treated like a friend and have been since the first visit.

Some people are never happy. Visit the Antelope lodge and enjoy yourself. I do.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank beecee52
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

The place was probably once cute, but now it is just dirty and gross. Sheets were full of crumbs and black hairs. Towels were dirty, dingy and worn. They obviously don't use much bleach. The heater vent was broken so that the heat blew in your fact all the time and could not be directed at all.
Remnants of shag carpet that had been sloppily removed at one time clung to all the baseboards. There was dust along all the baseboards and the bases of all the furniture which was stained. I put plastic bags down before I sat on anything. I opened the closet and immediately shut it. It smelled bad.
The bolt on the door was broken so we had to shove a chair up against it at night.
The rooms are advertised with kitchenettes, but there are no dishes, pots, or pans--not even a can opener. The microwave barely worked.
If we had not pre-paid for two nights we would have moved after the first night in that place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tiredofdirt
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
The Antelope Lodge is not for everyone. If you associate old with bad, then the Lodge is not for you. I understand that you didn't like the Lodge, but let me state unequivocally that our rooms are clean. We have a great housekeeping staff. I'm sorry that the bolt on the door was broken, but there is a lock on each door in addition to the bolt. If you had contacted us, we could have sent someone over to fix or replace the bolt, even if it was late at night.

It's true that we don't keep dishes, pots and pans, and utensils in the rooms. This is because we believe we can keep them cleaner for each guest if we wash them and store them in the kitchen area of the office. As the sign in the kitchen of each room says, “Dishes, flatware, pots & pans and cooking utensils are available in the office.” All you need to do is ask.

The office staff remembers your stay quite differently. The Antelope Lodge has a policy that we won't return a guest's money for a night already spent at the Lodge unless the guest has contacted us about the problem so we had a chance to fix it for them. This policy is posted in the office. You did not contact us with any problems, and you did stay in the room. When we told you we wouldn't refund your money, you said you would write a nasty review if we didn't.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

We chose Antelope lodge after reading the reviews here on trip advisor. We're not the kind of people who want to see the same thing everywhere we go, so this seemed to have lots of historic personality and it has turned out to be perfectly wonderful. My husband called Tuesday to make reservations for us for thursday and Friday letting the owner know we would arrive late Thursday. They told him the office would close at 9 and they would tape our envelope with a room key and map to the door of the office behind the screendoor and that we could check in the following morning. You won't find that at a chain motel! We arrived around midnight. The room (11) was cute, clean and cozy. It is a very homey setting, kitsch furnishings, kitchenette, and original retro tile in bathroom and kitchen. The bathroom has pretty stained glass and a nice hot shower (no water barley, haha). The whole place has been beautifully restored. We were able to take day trips to ft. Davis and Marfa, all closeby. Nice friendly and helpful owners and a little shop with rocks and jewelry.
Overall I would highly recommend to anyone who wants a unique and memorable stay in this part of tx.

• Stayed December 2010