“Unbelievable Issue”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Allen
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked my stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Allen because my 54-year-old brother lives close by and I brought my elderly mother from California to say goodbye to him. He has an aggressive stomach/esophagus cancer which is metastasizing quickly. It was a last-minute trip, between 2 courses of therapy he is undergoing, and I booked this via Expedia a few days prior to leaving.

I am not sure what happened with the reservation, but when I arrived, the hotel told me my stay was scheduled for 2 weeks later, and for 3 days instead of the two I thought I booked. Thankfully they found us a room for the evening as we were exhausted from traveling all day. I asked the hotel to cancel the room for the upcoming 2 weeks, and was told I had to do this via Expedia.

The next day, I called Expedia and was told their contract with the hotel meant this was nonrefundable unless the hotel agreed to cancel this, and after waiting upstairs for the hotel desk clerk to respond while I was on hold, I was told by Expedia that the hotel would not refund this without some type of documentation showing that my brother was indeed ill.

My brother sent the documentation showing his diagnosis, and the clerk said she would forward this to the manager. The following day, I received an email stating that the hotel manager REFUSED to issue a refund! The most he agreed to do was to "consider" applying this to "a future date."

Are you kidding me? Shame on the general manager of this hotel! I hope this readers of review will consider boycotting this hotel!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jacobs2_11
Imelda F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Jacobs2_11,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you whilst visiting your ill brother. We do appreciate that this was likely a stressful and emotional time for you. It is not our intention to cause you any sort of distress.

In reply to your dissatisfaction, may we say that confusion with your dates could have been avoided simply by checking your reservation confirmation from Expedia anytime. The night you actually arrived, was a busy night for the area, and we did sell out. Sometimes we have cancellations. We are not sure what would have happened should you have arrived a little later and we had no availability.

Bookings made directly with the hotel or Holiday Inn central reservations , often provide a little more flexibility, and guests can then still earn PC Reward points. The hotel has to honor all legitimate bookings coming through travel agencies, like Expedia, as they are received, and vice versa.

Holiday Inn's "Best Flexible" rate is fully cancellable up to 6pm local time, on the day of arrival, without any charge whatsoever. The original booking you made with Expedia came through as an "Advanced Purchase" which is a specially discounted, no cancel, no change, prepaid booking (just like some of the specially priced airline tickets). Guests, who know their schedule won't change, often take advantage of these special Advance Purchase rates along with their associated strict terms and conditions, which are always clearly stated at the time of booking by Expedia and other similar agencies.

We do try hard to try to keep all of our guests happy, and understand that we may fall short on occasion depending on the circumstances. We did try to explain this to you and provide you some resolution.

The offer of changing the dates to a future time still stands on this occasion. Please contact us soon should you wish to accept this.

Imelda Frost

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped here simply as an easy on-off on a long trip. Wow!!! Could not believe how nicely done this new Holiday Inn Express was, and I have stayed at many of them. The rooms are gorgeous. The detailed woodwork and tasteful decor done throughout makes it look like an upscale hotel--and the rooms have doorbells! It is quite close to an upscale outlet mall--which we took full advantage of the next day. The staff was very nice, bathrooms spotless, and the bed most comfortable. Texas, you really know how to do it right!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Ash972, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear L M,

Thank you for your "Impeccable" comments about our hotel during your short visit to Allen. It is essential to provide a a great guest experience, impeccable bathroom condition, and the comfort of a good nights rest. We are glad we met your expectations during your long trip. We hope to see you during your next stop to Allen, Texas!

Holiday Inn Express Management

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here one night. Nice rooms, DELICIOUS complimentary cookies on check-in. My only complaint with the rooms was the horribly lumpy pillows. The breakfast wasn't much to speak of, but the cinnamon rolls were very good. This hotel has great toiletries- especially the lotion. All in all, it's a nice place to stay- not too many negatives, but not worth what I paid (close to $100/night).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear WanderLustOK,

We appreciate the time you have taken to leave us few comments. I am glad to hear you liked the cookies upon your arrival. We are contanstly upgrading our facilites and ammenties. I have notified the Housekeeping about the pillows and will make the necessary changes. We hope to see you in the near future and a better experience.

Holiday Inn Express Management

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Wow, I stay at many Holiday Inns throughout Texas for business and this location had the most beautiful rooms. What a pleasant surprise to walk into the room and feel like you are at a luxury hotel, the decor was just something unexpected. The Lobby was very nice and I notice that when I arrived but when I walked into the room I was so taken away to a vacation place. Thank you for making one of my business trips a bit more luxurious.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Ash972, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Sandra T,

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your business trip to the Allen area. We appreciate the time you took to send us these comments. If you are ever in the area, we would love to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very nice rooms. Extremely nice breakfast area. Some neighbor noise from adjacent rooms. Note that it is about a mile and a half away from the Allen Events Center. Very easy access, but it is certainly not within walking distance. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here for a week visiting my boyfriend's family in a junior suite. Comfortable, spacious, clean, I couldn't have asked for anything more. It was great to have microwave and fridge as well. The pool area was a bit small, but it was never crowded. The free breakfast was delicious - they even had bacon on certain mornings!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I travel for business quite a bit for many years. This facility has got to be the cleanest and updated HIE I have stayed in. and the employees were all super friendly, had a gift for us for being priority club, fresh cookies at checkin. We had a great suite with a jacuzzi. The start switch was broken, and you cannot get them at Walmart on a Friday night. The maintenance man was very friendly, came immediately to the room, and found an alternate way to make the jets work. Comfy bed, lots of premium TV stations and great breakfast.
And of course my wife gave it extra stars for being close to the Allen Outlet Mall.
We will defiiely stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple