“Can't believe they are still open”
Review of Papa Lopez

Papa Lopez
Ranked #42 of 228 Restaurants in Allen
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice atmosphere but it went downhill from there. Chips were crispy, salsa was tasty with the correct amount of heat. Service was consistently slow, our drinks were never refilled. When the meals arrived, the pico appeared stale and old. The shredded brisket beef tacos looked tasty but lacked any flavor. The meat was moist and tender but without a hint of spice. If we could have found some BBQ sauce it would have made for some tasty tacos. But the lack of any spice made for a bland and tasteless taco.

The chicken chimichanga was about the size of a US dollar bill, and was filled with a half an inch thick of shredded chicken. The chicken had been cooked in some type of tomato based sauce, but also lacked any taste and was dry. Some portions of the chicken was so salty it was couldn't be eaten. Our bill was wrong on two items.

The music was pleasant, the room temperature accommodating. The TV's were visible and easily seen from almost anywhere in the restaurant. The limited interaction we had with the staff was pleasant, yet brief.

The lack of competitors in the immediate area are greatly benefitting this business.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I am a native Texan, and I have been eating Mexican food of all types since I was in diapers. So I know Mexican food. I was really hoping this place would be a great place. It is close to my house and the menu seemed a little different.

The chips were good, the salsa did not have any real bite to it.

We were a large party, and the so we had a variety of dishes. We all left feeling like the food was OK. Nothing really special that would make us want to go back to Papa's but nothing that would keep from going back either. Basically the food was just kind of ho-hum. It had no real zing to food.

The service was on the same order. The staff seemed more interesed in talking to each other than to taking care of the customers.

In my opinion if managment does not watch itself , it may need to call in the Resturant Impossible crew in a year or so.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

This restaurant just opened up a few months ago. The area isn't what I would consider to be a good place for a restaurant. There is a theater nearby but not much else. I expected a short life for this place.

But we have been there several times and it's usually crowded. The food is really good and the prices are very reasonable. Service is good and they have 4 TV's tuned to sports.

All in all we have been happy with our experiences here.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I love eaten at Papa Lopez. I love the salsa there it's the bomb. I mean the best I have ever had.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

20 min wait on Friday night, salsa was a bit too hot......but the sangria/margarita drink was very yummy, just the right mixture. Fajitas had a nice flavor and came with cheese, which is a nice extra, but there wasn't a lot of meat -- maybe because I used a coupon?? Chips were good too. Sink faucet in bathroom is nifty too.......place always seems busy - not a lot of competition in the area, wish McKinney would wise up to how many people live here........and this town REALLY needs more breakfast places -- I bet a Sunday brunch here would bring in a lot of customers.

Been to Papa Lopez? Share your experiences!