“Hidden gem”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Addison
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks in April 2011 and I must say that I would go back without hesitation. This was my first time staying in th area and was a little worried about the hitel accomodatins, but when I got to this hotel, from the beginning, I was wowed by the staff and then when I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised with the space, cleanliness, and ghe view.

The staff of the jotel is amazing, from the managers to the service staff. The breakfast area is small, but their breakfast is really nice and unlike other hotels, it's always nice to have a hot breakfast.

The hotels is quiet, but sometimes with kids running around, you might feel some vibrations on the floor. It is very conveniently located in the middle of the Addison area, a restaurant paradise.

This property might not be luxurious, but it is one of the best hotels I have stayed at! Great value for your money too!

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dallas
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I sent my employee to this location for a convention. They got nothing but good reviews for it! We're also part of the Wyndham hotel group (ramada) also and we're glad such establishment existed. Will definitely send more employees to this location in the future!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Good cheap hotel with great happy hour and free bus service to local ammenities, staff were friendly and rooms were quiet and comfortable. Springs bar is a 5 min ride away in the complementary transport and serve good food. Also left my wedding ring in the room and the staff fedexed it to me the same day.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Craigypo,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. It is through guests like you that make the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison a great place. We include a full hot buffet breakfast to your rate to help start you off on the right foot. The happy hour is perfect way to start to your evening, with beer, wine and snacks. As you said we are located to many restaurants that you can walk to, or on Monday - Friday use the shuttle, we can drive you within 3 miles.
Please visit us again. If it is before the end of summer you can enjoy or outdoor pool, but if it too cold by the time you return you can enjoy our extended HDTV programming on a 42" TV! Give us a call and we will be happy to make your return reservation.
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Front desk was clueless and rude. Room was OK but beginning to show age. If you are expecting service and a relaxing stay, go elsewhere. Never will I stay are another Wyndham property in my life based on my experience here

• Stayed June 2011
Raj_Texas, Owner at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. This was an unfortunate situation, your credit card had not been charged prior to check-in (standard procedure in the hotel industry). Upon arrival you refused to verify your credit card and drivers license, this is for your own security and to prevent identity theft. Unfortunately we are unable to give away a free room and we are required to collect payment. We apologize that this resulted in poor customer service. Please let us know what we could have done differently to collect payment or ask for payment that would have met your expectations. We are glad that you decided to stay with us for 4 nights in the end. We believe that was because of our competitive rates, great location, and excellent renovated room. Thank you.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed here three nights in June, 2011. We left our 18-month old with the grandparents and headed to the hotel for much-needed rest and relaxation.

Pros:
* Great location for dining out (Belt Line Rd. in Addison has dozens of all kinds of restaurants)
* King suite has plenty of space
* 42" flat screen TV
* Free breakfast buffet was good -- scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, etc. -- nothing award-winning, but far better than the typical "continental breakfast" offered at many hotels
* A/C worked well -- critically important for a pregnant woman in June in North Texas!
* Elevator -- also helpful for a pregnant woman or anyone who struggles with stairs
* Full kitchen in suite with refrigerator / freezer, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, plates and utensils.
* Free Wi-Fi

Cons:
* Very noisy A/C and bathroom vent. When both were going, we had to raise our voices considerably just to have a conversation across the suite.
* Locals (I presume) hanging around in the parking lot and at the front door of the hotel. Several times when entering / exiting the parking lot in my car I had to stop and wait for small groups of young males, shorts dragging on the ground, to slowly walk out of the way so I could enter the lot and drive to a parking stall. They stared at me and acted like they owned the place (so I assume they were locals). Didn't exactly inspire confidence that I or my vehicle would be safe. I felt fortunate that nothing was done to my vehicle or taken from it.
* Guests smoking immediately outside the only entrance to the hotel. No way to avoid the second hand smoke going in our out. Not a problem, I suppose, if you enjoy cigarette smoke. We don't.
* Seriously banged-up fixtures and furniture in the room (see photos.) Apparently upkeep and maintenance of the rooms is a low priority. When I see cracks in the walls and scratches on the furniture, it makes me nervous. What existing damage might they try to blame on me and charge me for after I check out?

As bad as the "Cons" list sounds, overall we felt it was a nice stay. What we wanted most of all was peace and quiet so we could rest. Inside our room we heard no noise from other guests. We got lots of sleep and felt our privacy was respected.

One time I pressed the "housekeeping" button on the room phone. The front desk attendant answered. I asked for a couple of fresh bath towels. The attendant pleasantly informed me there was no one available to bring them to the room, but I was able to quickly go down to the front desk and pick them up. Not a problem. But I did wonder about the number of staff on hand.

Twice during our stay the front desk called our room at 11:30am to ask if we would be staying over. Check-out time was noon. I guess they were in a hurry to get us out if we weren't staying another day...? Maybe the housekeeping staff was light and needed to get a jump on things. The hotel didn't seem busy so I'm sure room turnover wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just standard practice but it seemed odd.

We both felt the bed was not very comfortable. Of course, this is a very subjective thing. Some people prefer a soft mattress top, some people prefer one that is more stiff. Compared to the "Heavenly beds" at some other hotels, this was not as soft or as pleasant to sleep on. The mattress springs creaked and squeaked a little bit.

Upon checking in, the man and woman at the desk barely acknowledged us. They weren't unfriendly, they just weren't very welcoming, either. When I went to check out a manager was training a new employee on the computer. They were friendlier although I had to wait a minute for the manager to show her what to do.

We used airline miles so the entire stay cost us nothing. This does color our opinions of the stay. If we had paid full price we probably would feel there are better hotels to stay at in the area. As it was, we felt our stay was okay, but not something we'll remember years from now.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear “BenJudy“

First of all congrats on your pregnancy. I know it can be uncomfortable in the heat and I am glad we were able to provide a cool place to relax. The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - Addison is an all suite hotel who wants to be your home away from home. From the kitchenette with everything you need to the homemade hot breakfast and the refreshing outdoor pool, the oversized king suite gives you the space to stretch out and enjoy the 42” HDTV.

We do apologize for the locals you encountered during your stay, it is possible they may have been headed to many of the places nearby; Although Addison has so much to offer it is usually a quite place to be as you enjoy your choice of food from the many places within a short walking distance. Security is never an issue with our location and our security cameras.

I assure you we do not charge for the normal wear on the room and would have happily moved you to a more comfortable room, given the chance. Please keep that in mind and revisit the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, we would like to show you we are “not bad”, but surely more than “nothing special”

Terrell, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Nice hotel, close to most things you would want to do in the area. The king suite is a huge
room and we didn't feel 'closed in' at all. Breakfast was very good for a buffet breakfast, make your own waffles were great. Several restaurants are VERY close. Most
you can walk to easily. (Outback Steakhouse connects to parking lot.)
There is a little noise from planes taking off at nearby airport, but not bad. The few times we interacted with staff, they were nice. We will definitely use them again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Greggtex,

The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison appreciates you taking the time to right a review. The king suite as you said is huge with the 42” HDTV, and the fully equipped kitchenettes, along with very comfortable beds. Our Hot breakfast buffet has the Texas shaped waffles that you can make yourself, eggs, and so many other hot and cold items.

Again, thank you for your review, We look forward to your next visit whether you are here to work, play, or just to enjoy everything Addison has to offer.

Monica Bonilla
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 1, 2011

To be fair, this is in general a pretty good hotel. Rooms look modern and recently renovated, with flat screen TVs, a small kitchen, lots of space, and comfortable beds. One would pay a lot more for rooms of this quality elsewhere (nearby Westins or Hiltons). In addition, they give you a generous breakfast, and the location, if you like shopping and restaurants, is the best, with only a 10 minute walk to so many great restaurants. The staff is usually nice and helpful, though very very slow. We come from Oklahoma so we're used to slow, and this is really slow. Perhaps they are understaffed. Well, it's still worth it for $71 a night for a king suite.

We've stayed there a few times already. Last weekend, after we checked in and unpacked all of our stuff - and we have a small baby so that's A LOT of stuff - we realized that the shower wasn't working properly (there was either freezing or boiling hot water, nothing in between). We called the front desk. It was around 9 pm and the woman who answered said she has no one who can fix this at this hour, and suggested we move to another room. She did not, however, apologize. I told her this wasn't a good solution for us since our baby was already sleeping, and if we woke him up he won't sleep the entire night. But understanding she had no other solution, we agreed. It took us 30 minutes to transfer all our stuff to the new room (on the other side of the building, same floor though), and of course our baby barely slept that night. Ok, they aren't responsible for our baby, but she could at least apologize for the ordeal.

When we came to check out, the guy at the front desk apologized, but that was it. Seriously? No compensation for what we've been through? How about "I'm sorry you had to go through all that, so this time we won't charge you for your stay"? This would have totally bought us, and we would never ever have considered other hotels and would even recommend this one to our friends.

I strongly urge the manager of this property to check out some books on how to run a business from the local library, and read what one needs to do when a customer is unhappy, especially if the hotel screwed up. Here's a basic lesson in running a business: you lose $71 by not charging me for the stay, but you guarantee that I'll return and will send my friends to your place, so you will end up making more money from your own mistake. Or, you do nothing, the customer is pissed, does not want to return or recommend you to his/her friends, and writes a bad review about you on tripadvisor. Is that really worth the $71? Are you so near sighted?

I just thought this poor approach to running a business is something others considering staying here should know about. If you don't care about it, this is a good place to stay. But if you do, I would suggest you go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Yoyalon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You described our newly renovated rooms very well. The flat screen 42” TV is amazing, and yes the beds are quite comfortable, all our guests love the fully equipped kitchenettes with their full size refrigerators. The Hot breakfast buffet is well stocked and yes, very filling. You are correct about our location, so much to do from restaurants within a quick walk to shopping and entertainment. There is always something to do in Addison.

Although, the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison would love to hear we are perfect, we understand people make mistakes. We do apologize and invite you to come back and give us a chance to make it right. Please call and ask to speak to Monica Bonilla regarding your recent stay and I will be happy to speak with you.

Monica Bonilla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
Radisson Hotel Dallas North-Addison
Home2 Suites by Hilton Dallas Addison
Best Western Plus Addison Galleria Hotel
SpringHill Suites Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria? Share your experiences!