“Not bad but nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Addison
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“Not bad but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed here three nights in June, 2011. We left our 18-month old with the grandparents and headed to the hotel for much-needed rest and relaxation.

Pros:
* Great location for dining out (Belt Line Rd. in Addison has dozens of all kinds of restaurants)
* King suite has plenty of space
* 42" flat screen TV
* Free breakfast buffet was good -- scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, etc. -- nothing award-winning, but far better than the typical "continental breakfast" offered at many hotels
* A/C worked well -- critically important for a pregnant woman in June in North Texas!
* Elevator -- also helpful for a pregnant woman or anyone who struggles with stairs
* Full kitchen in suite with refrigerator / freezer, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, plates and utensils.
* Free Wi-Fi

Cons:
* Very noisy A/C and bathroom vent. When both were going, we had to raise our voices considerably just to have a conversation across the suite.
* Locals (I presume) hanging around in the parking lot and at the front door of the hotel. Several times when entering / exiting the parking lot in my car I had to stop and wait for small groups of young males, shorts dragging on the ground, to slowly walk out of the way so I could enter the lot and drive to a parking stall. They stared at me and acted like they owned the place (so I assume they were locals). Didn't exactly inspire confidence that I or my vehicle would be safe. I felt fortunate that nothing was done to my vehicle or taken from it.
* Guests smoking immediately outside the only entrance to the hotel. No way to avoid the second hand smoke going in our out. Not a problem, I suppose, if you enjoy cigarette smoke. We don't.
* Seriously banged-up fixtures and furniture in the room (see photos.) Apparently upkeep and maintenance of the rooms is a low priority. When I see cracks in the walls and scratches on the furniture, it makes me nervous. What existing damage might they try to blame on me and charge me for after I check out?

As bad as the "Cons" list sounds, overall we felt it was a nice stay. What we wanted most of all was peace and quiet so we could rest. Inside our room we heard no noise from other guests. We got lots of sleep and felt our privacy was respected.

One time I pressed the "housekeeping" button on the room phone. The front desk attendant answered. I asked for a couple of fresh bath towels. The attendant pleasantly informed me there was no one available to bring them to the room, but I was able to quickly go down to the front desk and pick them up. Not a problem. But I did wonder about the number of staff on hand.

Twice during our stay the front desk called our room at 11:30am to ask if we would be staying over. Check-out time was noon. I guess they were in a hurry to get us out if we weren't staying another day...? Maybe the housekeeping staff was light and needed to get a jump on things. The hotel didn't seem busy so I'm sure room turnover wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just standard practice but it seemed odd.

We both felt the bed was not very comfortable. Of course, this is a very subjective thing. Some people prefer a soft mattress top, some people prefer one that is more stiff. Compared to the "Heavenly beds" at some other hotels, this was not as soft or as pleasant to sleep on. The mattress springs creaked and squeaked a little bit.

Upon checking in, the man and woman at the desk barely acknowledged us. They weren't unfriendly, they just weren't very welcoming, either. When I went to check out a manager was training a new employee on the computer. They were friendlier although I had to wait a minute for the manager to show her what to do.

We used airline miles so the entire stay cost us nothing. This does color our opinions of the stay. If we had paid full price we probably would feel there are better hotels to stay at in the area. As it was, we felt our stay was okay, but not something we'll remember years from now.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear “BenJudy“

First of all congrats on your pregnancy. I know it can be uncomfortable in the heat and I am glad we were able to provide a cool place to relax. The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - Addison is an all suite hotel who wants to be your home away from home. From the kitchenette with everything you need to the homemade hot breakfast and the refreshing outdoor pool, the oversized king suite gives you the space to stretch out and enjoy the 42” HDTV.

We do apologize for the locals you encountered during your stay, it is possible they may have been headed to many of the places nearby; Although Addison has so much to offer it is usually a quite place to be as you enjoy your choice of food from the many places within a short walking distance. Security is never an issue with our location and our security cameras.

I assure you we do not charge for the normal wear on the room and would have happily moved you to a more comfortable room, given the chance. Please keep that in mind and revisit the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, we would like to show you we are “not bad”, but surely more than “nothing special”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Terrell, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

Nice hotel, close to most things you would want to do in the area. The king suite is a huge
room and we didn't feel 'closed in' at all. Breakfast was very good for a buffet breakfast, make your own waffles were great. Several restaurants are VERY close. Most
you can walk to easily. (Outback Steakhouse connects to parking lot.)
There is a little noise from planes taking off at nearby airport, but not bad. The few times we interacted with staff, they were nice. We will definitely use them again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Greggtex,

The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison appreciates you taking the time to right a review. The king suite as you said is huge with the 42” HDTV, and the fully equipped kitchenettes, along with very comfortable beds. Our Hot breakfast buffet has the Texas shaped waffles that you can make yourself, eggs, and so many other hot and cold items.

Again, thank you for your review, We look forward to your next visit whether you are here to work, play, or just to enjoy everything Addison has to offer.

Monica Bonilla
Norman, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

To be fair, this is in general a pretty good hotel. Rooms look modern and recently renovated, with flat screen TVs, a small kitchen, lots of space, and comfortable beds. One would pay a lot more for rooms of this quality elsewhere (nearby Westins or Hiltons). In addition, they give you a generous breakfast, and the location, if you like shopping and restaurants, is the best, with only a 10 minute walk to so many great restaurants. The staff is usually nice and helpful, though very very slow. We come from Oklahoma so we're used to slow, and this is really slow. Perhaps they are understaffed. Well, it's still worth it for $71 a night for a king suite.

We've stayed there a few times already. Last weekend, after we checked in and unpacked all of our stuff - and we have a small baby so that's A LOT of stuff - we realized that the shower wasn't working properly (there was either freezing or boiling hot water, nothing in between). We called the front desk. It was around 9 pm and the woman who answered said she has no one who can fix this at this hour, and suggested we move to another room. She did not, however, apologize. I told her this wasn't a good solution for us since our baby was already sleeping, and if we woke him up he won't sleep the entire night. But understanding she had no other solution, we agreed. It took us 30 minutes to transfer all our stuff to the new room (on the other side of the building, same floor though), and of course our baby barely slept that night. Ok, they aren't responsible for our baby, but she could at least apologize for the ordeal.

When we came to check out, the guy at the front desk apologized, but that was it. Seriously? No compensation for what we've been through? How about "I'm sorry you had to go through all that, so this time we won't charge you for your stay"? This would have totally bought us, and we would never ever have considered other hotels and would even recommend this one to our friends.

I strongly urge the manager of this property to check out some books on how to run a business from the local library, and read what one needs to do when a customer is unhappy, especially if the hotel screwed up. Here's a basic lesson in running a business: you lose $71 by not charging me for the stay, but you guarantee that I'll return and will send my friends to your place, so you will end up making more money from your own mistake. Or, you do nothing, the customer is pissed, does not want to return or recommend you to his/her friends, and writes a bad review about you on tripadvisor. Is that really worth the $71? Are you so near sighted?

I just thought this poor approach to running a business is something others considering staying here should know about. If you don't care about it, this is a good place to stay. But if you do, I would suggest you go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Yoyalon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You described our newly renovated rooms very well. The flat screen 42” TV is amazing, and yes the beds are quite comfortable, all our guests love the fully equipped kitchenettes with their full size refrigerators. The Hot breakfast buffet is well stocked and yes, very filling. You are correct about our location, so much to do from restaurants within a quick walk to shopping and entertainment. There is always something to do in Addison.

Although, the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison would love to hear we are perfect, we understand people make mistakes. We do apologize and invite you to come back and give us a chance to make it right. Please call and ask to speak to Monica Bonilla regarding your recent stay and I will be happy to speak with you.

Monica Bonilla
Santa Barbara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

We spent two weeks at the Hawthorn and found it good for the breed - between 3 and 4 points. Our 3rd floor room with 2 queens on the pool side was very large with two functional windows. Strong free WiFi, 2 phones. Linens and pillows were mid-range and fine. Couch, chair, table, and desk were OK. No dining table. The kitchenette was equipped for 4 with cutlery and gadgets, plus 3 pans. Bar-size sink with disposal, microwave, and 2-burner top with ill-fitted drip pans so nothing was level. Full-size fridge. Small coffee maker. Housekeeping and maintenance were average. They offer a daily breakfast - no variety - with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, potatoes (sometimes), cereals, juices, assorted breads. "Business center" in a closet with computer/printer which was down with a virus when needed. Across the street from Addison Airport - handy if you're flying, and occasional aircraft noise was no problem. Easy access to the far North Dallas area. Lots of eateries and shopping nearby. Provided a good base for our purposes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

The hotel is conveniently located in Addison (north Dallas). Great staff. The room had stainless still fridge, stove, microwave, kitchenware, etc. We had two rooms both with 42"+ flat TVs. Free WiFi.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I cannot say enough about this facility. My adult son and I stayed here for approx. a week while looking for an apt. for him (job transfer). We had a little difficulty after our initial room assignment (key didn't work for one room; bathroom locked from inside in another room); however, we had to do NOTHING to get this worked out. We stood with our bags while the Wyndham hotel employee (Kimberly) ran around and took care of everything. We only had to ask for assistance, and it "magically" occurred. We had a kitchenette-type suite and it was stocked with EVERYTHING we could have wanted - frig; microwave; stove top burners; dishes; utensils; cooking utensils; pots & pans; dish towel & dish cloth, etc. It was clean; the beds were unbelieveably comfortable; the linens & pillows VERY nice; the bathroom was as clean as any I have seen in a hotel; and we did not see bug-one the entire time we were there! The business center was a helpful addition and comfortable. When we needed to fax a document, the front desk helped us with that, too (as there was no fax in the business center...only computer & printer). We were given apartment & restaurant suggestions (as requested) and ended up renting at one of the suggested apartment developments. I cannot say enough about this facility! I would stay here again in a minute!!!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear Traveling Mom,

First of all thank you for taking the time to rate the Hawthorn Suites Addison Galleria. We are thrilled to know that our fully equipped kitchen met your needs during your relocation trip. We hope that during your many visits to Addison, you will continue to use the Hawthorn Suites Addison Galleria as a home base. I am sure your son would appreciate you using our kitchens to cook that special meal only Mom can cook!

You should be able to use the outdoor pool for a bit longer as Fall sneaks into Addison, but if not you can watch your shows on our 42” HDTV or have our weekday shuttle drive you one of Addison’s wonderful nearby restaurants or to the many shops. Consider it a mini vacation with the chance to see your son every time you visit.

Monica Farley
General Manger.
Oklahoma City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Went to Dallas for a fun weekend away and wanted a nice, suite on Beltline in the Addison area so I chose Hawthorn (based on all the reviews which must be by employees or relatives) over the Hyatt (where I've previously stayed) BIG mistake! Not only is the Hawthorn less than appealing on the outside, upon walking into the lobby all you smell is cat food and our room reaked of men's perfume and was missing paint on the walls, had a small bathroom, and was very 'average'. The only good thing about this hotel was a fairly comfortable bed. Save your $$ and go to the Hyatt or Hilton....Do NOT go to the Hawthorn!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Raj_Texas, Owner at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Blakey1217,

I apologize that your stay was less that expected. I apologize of the smell, we do not allow pets so we will investigate the issues you experienced. We also clean our rooms with eco-friendly cleaners and do not spray perfume in the room so again I apologize about the bad smell you experienced.

Compared to the Hyatt Summerfield Suites, our property is newer, has interior corridors, 42" TVs with HDTV, and an elevator. Our rooms were also totally renovated last year.

Again I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and would like you to contact us directly so we may take care of the issues and we would like another chance.

Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
BEST WESTERN PLUS Addison Galleria Hotel
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
Radisson Hotel Dallas North-Addison
SpringHill Suites Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
Comfort Suites North/Galleria
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas Addison Galleria

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria? Share your experiences!