My wife and I stayed here three nights in June, 2011. We left our 18-month old with the grandparents and headed to the hotel for much-needed rest and relaxation.
* Great location for dining out (Belt Line Rd. in Addison has dozens of all kinds of restaurants)
* King suite has plenty of space
* 42" flat screen TV
* Free breakfast buffet was good -- scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, etc. -- nothing award-winning, but far better than the typical "continental breakfast" offered at many hotels
* A/C worked well -- critically important for a pregnant woman in June in North Texas!
* Elevator -- also helpful for a pregnant woman or anyone who struggles with stairs
* Full kitchen in suite with refrigerator / freezer, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, plates and utensils.
* Free Wi-Fi
* Very noisy A/C and bathroom vent. When both were going, we had to raise our voices considerably just to have a conversation across the suite.
* Locals (I presume) hanging around in the parking lot and at the front door of the hotel. Several times when entering / exiting the parking lot in my car I had to stop and wait for small groups of young males, shorts dragging on the ground, to slowly walk out of the way so I could enter the lot and drive to a parking stall. They stared at me and acted like they owned the place (so I assume they were locals). Didn't exactly inspire confidence that I or my vehicle would be safe. I felt fortunate that nothing was done to my vehicle or taken from it.
* Guests smoking immediately outside the only entrance to the hotel. No way to avoid the second hand smoke going in our out. Not a problem, I suppose, if you enjoy cigarette smoke. We don't.
* Seriously banged-up fixtures and furniture in the room (see photos.) Apparently upkeep and maintenance of the rooms is a low priority. When I see cracks in the walls and scratches on the furniture, it makes me nervous. What existing damage might they try to blame on me and charge me for after I check out?
As bad as the "Cons" list sounds, overall we felt it was a nice stay. What we wanted most of all was peace and quiet so we could rest. Inside our room we heard no noise from other guests. We got lots of sleep and felt our privacy was respected.
One time I pressed the "housekeeping" button on the room phone. The front desk attendant answered. I asked for a couple of fresh bath towels. The attendant pleasantly informed me there was no one available to bring them to the room, but I was able to quickly go down to the front desk and pick them up. Not a problem. But I did wonder about the number of staff on hand.
Twice during our stay the front desk called our room at 11:30am to ask if we would be staying over. Check-out time was noon. I guess they were in a hurry to get us out if we weren't staying another day...? Maybe the housekeeping staff was light and needed to get a jump on things. The hotel didn't seem busy so I'm sure room turnover wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just standard practice but it seemed odd.
We both felt the bed was not very comfortable. Of course, this is a very subjective thing. Some people prefer a soft mattress top, some people prefer one that is more stiff. Compared to the "Heavenly beds" at some other hotels, this was not as soft or as pleasant to sleep on. The mattress springs creaked and squeaked a little bit.
Upon checking in, the man and woman at the desk barely acknowledged us. They weren't unfriendly, they just weren't very welcoming, either. When I went to check out a manager was training a new employee on the computer. They were friendlier although I had to wait a minute for the manager to show her what to do.
We used airline miles so the entire stay cost us nothing. This does color our opinions of the stay. If we had paid full price we probably would feel there are better hotels to stay at in the area. As it was, we felt our stay was okay, but not something we'll remember years from now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-suite extended stay hotel offering extended comfort at an affordable price. Guest rooms are large and comfortable, and all suites have a full kitchen. The hotel is located in the heart of Addison's 170+ restaurants. The hotel is walking distance to several restaurants including Outback Steakhouse & Texas de Brazil. Addison Airport is right around the corner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Hotel Addison
- Hawthorn Suites Addison
- Best Western Addison
- Addison Best Western
- Hawthorn Suites Galleria Area