“Poor hotel - Even worse customer care” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Hearth Inn & Suites Abilene

Country Hearth Inn & Suites Abilene
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
McDade, Texas, United States
“Poor hotel - Even worse customer care”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked a reservation using Hotels.com for a few days in Abilene. Booking was fine and Hotels.com was great.

The problem began upon check in. We checked in at the front desk and went to the room.
It was totally unsatisfactory, not clean and certainly not as advertised. It was bad enough that we went back down to the desk and checked out within the hour.

But wait there's more!
I have been charged by the hotel for all 3 days! We were told a refund would be coming but here we are 2 weeks later and nothing.

Better still, my wife called about the issue today and the hotel manager Amanda hung up on her AND the Hotels.com representative.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!
Poor rooms
unclean
and awful customer service

Room Tip: Pick someplace else!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jonathan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I will be a realist and tell it how I seen it while on our 2 night stay. Firstly let's start with the pros. Low prices compared to a lot of the hotels in the area. The GM Ish has to be the hardest working man I have seen in a long time, he was working all hours of the morning day and night. He was also very helpful. The staff that we came in contact with were kind and helpful. We entered the room that was clean, our bed was very comfy, the microwave and microfridge were convient. They just cleaned our carpets, the floors were still slightly moist and you could smell the cleanliness. There was a nice 32 inch flat screen tv. They give 2 ply toilet paper. There were no chips or stains in our bathroom. We rented a handicapped room and the shower was convient and clean. It also had a shower chair. The breakfast was great, not only hot, but eggs are made to order. It also had a great selection. The pool area was nice with a covered patio. The hotel is pet friendly for a low charge.

The cons- Not many that made the stay uncomfortable. The bed was a little high for my husband to transfer into easy. He is in a wheelchair. Our
bathroom faucet was loud when you turned on the cold water on the sink. They could use a door stopper to protect the wall from damage.

The Thai restraunt next door offered great food for a reasonable price. The owner was also very nice. I would give them 5 stars simply for the food and kindness.

The lounge next door to that was fair. The night bartender was rude, nor a good one. If she worked for my bar she may be out of a job.

All in all this place was nice and we would stay there again if in the area again. Im not sure where these people were staying with all the negitive reviews. It does not look, nor smell as some of these reviews portray. It is above standards especially for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank staciann75
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've read some of the unkind reviews and understand where they are coming from. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I'll cover pros and cons. Let's get the elephant out there first by stating cons:

1. The hotel is dated. It is stuck in time of the 70's. The decor does not match the higher dollar chains as you might find in a Marriot...Big Deal, not to me. As a kid growing up in the 70's this hotel took me back to a very fun time in my life.
2. There are other cosmetic issues that people with a very discriminating eye notice. Paint colors being odd and not quite right. Chairs don't match...Not a big deal to me as long as they are comfortable and they were.

Pros:

1. The hotel GM is outstanding with customer service. He is very accommodating and wants you to have a good stay at his hotel.
2. My bed was great and it was extremely comfortable.
3. Keurig Coffee makers in each room. That is nice and I've had those at only higher dollar hotel chains. This was a pleasant surprise.
4. My room was clean and the staff was always cleaning.
5. The pool is awesome. They also have a T.V. out there with three grills. Great for a quick grill party.
6. Thai restaurant attached to the hotel had good Thai food. The lounge attached to the hotel made it easy to grab an adult beverage and walk back to your room. These places have different owners, but are a nice convenience for an out of towner.
7. the T.V.s in the room are nice and have a good line up for those that need to wind down.
8. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. If the GM "Ish" is there - ask him to make you his style of Indian type scrambled eggs. They were fantastic. I've paid twice as much for another hotel and the breakfast was horrible. They have fresh fruit, oatmeal, eggs to order, sausage, waffles, little white powdered donuts, biscuits, kolaches...You name it, you will probably see it. If you are a health freak like me, then you can have a great healthy breakfast. If you have a morning to just go crazy, you can have it there too.
9. Service was great.

Overall, I had a very good experience. I'll overlook cosmetic issues if the service is good and the hotel is clean (which this place was). If you want the biggest bang for your dollar and a good value, then know that this is your place. If you are a snob and only go to the higher dollar chains, then this place will not make you happy. You'll complain about everything. Stick to your expensive chains.

For those that want great service and value, then give it a try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Charlie V
Unadilla, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff was very attentive to our every need.. Room was clean... Free buffet breakfast was great.... Restaurant attached had wonderful Thai food... Attached to that was a Lounge/Club specials every night.... Could not beat the expierance for the price.. We were thier visitig family for 7 days.... no issues at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lastdollar79
Florence, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The bed was really uncomfortable, and the place is not very clean, but they are trying hard. The manager was very nice and the breakfast was great. The restaurant was also really good for dinner. The location is not really convenient and we were sorry we drove past several other nicer hotels to get to this one. It was cheap and they allowed pets.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bobkatran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Since I had to give it at least one star, I guess that is what I'll do. If I could rank it below that, I would certainly do so. We work through the area and have stayed at this hotel, along with others who work with us as well. In one night, two of our work trucks were broken into and we lost over $500 worth of our equipment. As they smiled at the front desk in the morning, they informed us there was nothing they could do. We have since found out that another friend of ours who stayed there and is no longer working in the area also had her truck cleaned out in the middle of the night as well. The employees/owner/management will charge you a different rate each time you come in while boasting about their big buffet breakfast they offer in the morning. However, I sure would like to see them put a little more thought, time, care, and effort into the safety of their guests and their belongings. Forget the damn breakfast and put some damn security cameras out in your parking lot. That is where you obviously have an issue. And at worst, hire one of your employees to walk the lots at night to keep your guests property secure.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel that offers security so you can rest assured that you will actually be able...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Angela0818

Travelers are raving about these Abilene hotels

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Despite the positive rating on Booking.com, this place is scary bad.
How anyone could give it 4-5 stars is a complete mystery to me.
The smells you encounter here will be with you for days.
Hallways:
Imagine sticking your entire head in a bucket of Juarez potpourri laced with dirty socks.
Now multiply that times 10.
Our room:
Imagine sticking your entire head in a bucket of dirty sock concentrate.
We had to wash EVERYTHING that came in contact with the room when we got home.
The beds were really bad and worn out. The room, featuring a decor right out of a 70s bad B horror movie, was fairly clean in spite of the odor. The free hot breakfast looks good as long as you don't think about possible kitchen conditions. We had to pass.
Unless you enjoy pungent, omnipresent unidentified smells, extreme 3rd world decorating, and bad beds, you probably shouldn't stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple