“Wrong Room”

Hampton Inn & Suites Abilene I-20
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is a nice place, and we would probably stay here again, however: We were not given the room type that I reserved. I reserved a room with 1 king bed, nonsmoking, free hi speed, chair with ottoman, lapdesk, waterpik showerhead, and curved shower rod. We did not get the chair with ottoman, nor the curved shower rod--because there was no bath tub! Since trips are usually the only times I indulge in a nice tub soak, I was disappointed. Plus, I had been looking forward to reading my book in the "chair with ottoman." I mentioned the mistake to the lady at the desk, but used the word "chaise" instead of the phrase "chair with ottoman" (I didn't have my reservation confirmation in my hand.), and she said she didn't know what I was talking about. I could have retrieved the paperwork and requested a room change, but my husband had already started unpacking, so I let it go. Plus, I should have requested a definition of "standard room" at check-in. Next time, if there is one, I'll insist that we get what we reserved. Also, I found a piece of food on the floor that must have been left by a prior guest. Yuck!

Room Tip: Make sure that you get what you reserved.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tamra S

Reviewed January 11, 2012

It was a nice hotel,. Quiet, with a comfortable bed. The desk clerk was friendly. But be warned the only restaurant within walking distance is a Denny's. There are more a couple of miles down the freeway. But I had just spent a long day in the car and didn't feel like driving any more. Technically this is not the responsibility of the hotel, but just be forewarned.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn at least 6 times over the last 2 years. The rooms are clean and well sized. Some of the king studio suites have microwaves, sinks and friges which is a must have if you are traveling with young kids. The staff is always friendly and welcoming. This last time I have a problem with my reservation and the front desk was very patient in helping me sort it out. Breakfast has always been delicious because they offer a huge selection ranging from muffins to cereals to make-your-own waffles to hot items, such as seasoned fries and scramble eggs and sausage gravy. The coffee is good too. Highly recommend if you're traveling through this area. It also helps that this is really easy to find.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Property is very clean and inviting, with huge, well-appointed breakfast area. As other reviewers noted, beds are very comfortable. I have stayed in similar hotels many times, and the free breakfast was probably the best I have ever tried - in addition to the standard cereal/pastry/waffle/yogurt options, they had hot oatmeal and a really tasty steak-and-egg scramble, much better than the usual reheated powdered "eggs." My only minor criticisms of the stay were (1) the shower temp fluctuates when a toilet is flushed or a nearby room shower is turned on, and (2) the 2-queen rooms are quite small when compared to, say, the newer Holiday Inn Express locations, which becomes an issue when you are trying to squeeze in a Pack-n-Play for your baby. Still, the overall quality of the hotel (and esp. the breakfast) is so good that I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Footsteps above can be loud, so try for the highest non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2011

From a stay Nov 24/25, 2011

Four things count for a good stay - clean, comfortable, quiet and kind. This Hampton passes well in all regards. The room, lobby, grounds all were spotless. Beds were really comfortable, a lot better than the usual "pool table with a sheet on top". (I would have taken the bed with me but couldn't zip my suitcase shut.) Though this hotel is fairly close to the highway, we heard no noise, either from outside the hotel or from other guests. And the night clerks and day clerks and all the other staff treated us like special guests, particularly the lady who set out breakfast (I neglected to catch her name). Every one of them asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay a good one. But they didn't have to ask - in how they run things, they'd already done it.

Additional things... The night clerk had several good recommendations for nearby dining and was good at offering directions. Breakfast was fresh with a wide variety to choose from. Wireless internet speed was about average. I always appreciate the very large lobby area that many Hamptons offer, and this hotel has that feature.

If we stay in Abilene again, this hotel gets our first consideration.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel face north, with nothing but open Texas countryside in view. Pro...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Nice new clean Hampton Inn well located near I-20.
Usual HI breakfast, wish they would have fresh local pastries or doughnuts!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We arrived late at night and we were put into a king suite on the end of a hallway on one of the top floors. It was peaceful, clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. After a restful nights sleep, we checked out and went to breakfast. This is one of the best complimentary breakfast buffets that I have experienced. They had absolutely everything on their buffet and an abundance of everything as well. We will definitely plan to stay here again when traveling through Texas.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple