“Incompetent and indefferent, Stay away!”
Review of Civic Plaza Hotel

and 1 more site!
Civic Plaza Hotel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Right here.
“Incompetent and indefferent, Stay away!”
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We never got to stay there. We gave a credit card number to reserve a room, they put us down for the week BEFORE the date we gave them. They said we were a no-show so they charged the card anyway!! The hotel put us down for the wrong date. Now we are having to find another hotel. The person we talked to was indifferent and did not care.

Stay Away!

• Liked — It is far from me
  • Disliked — They were incompetent, can't even book a room. Charged my card anyway.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Hemihead
rodewayinnabilenetx, Webmaster at Civic Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Hemihead,

Thank you for your attempt to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I am so sorry that things didn’t work out as you had intended.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Registration staff received additional training in making sure that they have all the information properly recorded.

2) Desk staff received additional training regarding the courteous, respectful, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again attempt to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed May 22, 2006

We stayed at this "hotel" while attending a friend's wedding. What a nightmare! On a side note, all other hotels were completely booked because of two other events the wedding couple neglected to tell their guests about, but we found this hotel in an online search and their website looked great. (---). We thought the only reason it had rooms open was because it was so much nicer than the budget alternatives... $100/night in a small town is pretty steep.

As nice as the website made this "hotel" look, reality was that much more disappointing. The place was a virtual dump. Although it was (relatively) clean, it was VERY old and in need of much remodeling, repainting, and repaving to make it look half as good as it is represented on their website. AND it wasn't even a hotel - it was a MOtel - the rooms were not enclosed at all.

We went ahead and checked in because we knew every other place in town was booked and it wouldn't have done us any good to try to find an alternative. After the receptionist had gathered our credit card information and given us our keys, all the while making small talk about the Harley Davidson conference that was in town, I mentioned the fact that they seemed to be the only hotel in town who had available rooms - everyone else was booked. She proceeded to explain to me why this was so - a work crew that was supposed to have been working on some repairs around the hotel that weekend left early because they said the motorcycles were TOO LOUD! Thanks a LOT!

My husband and I picked our jaws up off the floor and prepared for what inevitably happened - the motorcycle fanatics made their triumphant return to the ho/motel at 11 pm, then proceeded to wake up the entire town - at 7 am, 8:15 am, and 8:30 am - revving up their hogs.

The rooms were small, musty, and badly in need of repair - definitely not "newly remodeled" as advertised on the website. Yes, they were equipped with refridgerators and microwaves, but the "Serta matresses" the "hotel" champions on the website were like plywood boards, and I literally woke up several times with a spring cutting off the circulation in my arm or hand. And I am not a light sleeper, so that's saying something.

We didn't bother chancing the "free hot breakfast" the next morning for fear it would lead to more disappointment. We left as soon as we could, just to get away from the depressing decor and hog-riding clientele.

In the end, it would have been a fair price to ask $50 or less for that room. Instead we paid the high price of demand - $100 for one night in one of the worst ho/motels we've ever experienced.

So, if you're traveling to Abilene, book early (make sure it's not Sing Song weekend or another Hog Fest) and DON'T book at the Civic Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) The management was appraised of your opinion that the room needed repairs.

2) The management was instructed to see to it that the website better reflects what will be found off line.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at the Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travelers are raving about these Abilene hotels

Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I tried to make a last minute reservation for a Friday evening in Abilene, and almost every hotel in town was booked due to an ACU function. Looking at the reviews on the Quality Inn, I was not looking forward to the stay. We were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel must have been remodeled since the 2004 comments. It was extemely clean. Hot breakfast from several choices was included. Staff was very friendly and efficient. I would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank bjmcmah
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I stayed here for 2 nights in Jan. The rooms are clean and the staff is curtious. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 10, 2004

The hotel sits in the class of Budget inn,Relax inn,Truckers inn. The hotel is a run down Quality Inn.I did not experience any problems with the staff.The rooms are very dated and smell like an old hotel room.Nothing Offensive just the old musty hotel room.(I pack air freshner). The rate i paid was like $66.00...Way to high for this property. The only reason I stayed here was they supposadly had a bar. Well they do,Just Beer & wine. No Crowd on a friday just me and the barmaid and the owner. I do have one thing to say..The Tv's in the rooms are great...Big 32"'s ,clear channels.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I am pleased that you considered the TV’s in the rooms to be great.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be grealy pleased.

Reviewed May 4, 2004

I have stayed at the Civic Center Hotel numerous times and I have always enjoyed my stay. Clean rooms and curteous staff. This place is an easy recommendation.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2004

I stayed at the Civic Center Hotel and had a great experience. I recommend!!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member