“Disgusting Roach Motel!!!”

Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
amber76504
“Disgusting Roach Motel!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2008

This is the worst hotel ever! There were roaches in our smelly room. The staff let thugs loiter in the parking lot. We decided not to stay and when we tried to check out they were uncooperative and tried to use the excuse the roches were there b/c they sprayed that day. THERE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY IN THE FIRST PLACE. The man at the counter mumble and would not make eye contact and the other man with him was rude.

• Liked — Leaving It!
  • Disliked — the whole experience was bad
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amber76504
rodewayinnabilenetx, Webmaster at Civic Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the report of roaches in the room assigned to you. They were instructed to see to their extermination.

2) Desk staff received additional training concerning the courteous, respectful, helpful manner if which they are to treat our valued guests.

3) Security staff was notified of your report of individuals whom you identified as thugs hanging around the parking lot and instructed to see to the proper protection of our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2008

I stayed here with two co-workers as part of a business trip in Abilene. Our meeting ended at 8 p.m., which ended up being a blessing in disguise, because that cut down on the amount of time that I had to spend in my dirty room. I should've known that this hotel was going to be a bad one when I saw the sign behind the check-in desk that said "You have 15 minutes to inspect your room. If you have any problems with it, you can obtain a full refund." The only reason we stayed here is because all of the other rooms in town were booked, and believe me--as soon as we saw our rooms, we started calling around to other hotels.

The room smelled terrible, like it hadn't been aired out in a decade. The curtains didn't close all the way. The bathtub looked like it hadn't been scrubbed in a year, and the shower curtain had an orange mildew ring on the bottom. The toilet didn't appear to have been cleaned, and the bathroom floor had hairs on it. The carpet had an iron burn on it. The sheets on my bed had a cigarette burn in them, and 2 of the 3 pillows had hairs on them. I ended up sleeping with a towel over the pillow because I wasn't positive that the sheets had been washed. The refrigerator appeared to have coffee dried on it, from where someone had spilled and never cleaned it up. When we checked in, the attendant told us that breakfast was donuts and coffee. It turned out to be Little Debbie snacks and black coffee--no sugar, creamer, milk, etc.

• Liked — The fact that we left at 7:30 a.m.
  • Disliked — The disgusting bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TexBecks
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

Travelers are raving about these Abilene hotels

Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2008

This was the worst place I have ever stayed! When we made the reservation they told us that we would be in the remodeled portion of the motel. I guess they call a little paint.... a remodel. The bathrooms were unsanitary and the towels could have been a good cleaning towel. Every piece of metal in the bathroom had more rust than a old muffler! The room had a horrible smell and the A/C was falling apart. The curtain rods were wired to the wall and the furniture didn't look anything like the pictures on their website. You would be better off pitching a tent in the local KOA!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Brownbunch
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance staff was instructed to see to it that the A/C in the room assigned to you was put in proper working order.

3) Management was instructed to see to it that pictures representative of our establishment shown on the internet better reflect what will be found offline.

Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2008

First of all, this is a motel not a hotel. All the rooms face out to an open parking lot, complete with dumpsters and men standing around drinking. The room was dirty, the bathroom was filthy. There was no soap in the room when we checked in and the shampoo came in little, ketchup-style packets. We did not take our shoes off or use the shower during our over night stay. The workout facility was two pieces of dusty, damaged equipment. The pool was closed. The staff were not unfriendly, but also not too enthusiastic, but then if I had to work there, I wouldn't be either. We only stayed after checking in because we were traveling for work and couldn't afford to out-of-pocket expenses to change "hotels".

• Liked — convenience to business event
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank rabbitstravel2
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that it was convenient to your business event.

1) Staff members received additional training in the courteous way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They were instructed to see to it that all of the rooms are properly supplied with soap and other amenities before being reported as ready for occupation.

san antonio
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We travel extensively and picked this hotel since it was rated the highest by priceline. The hotel was only a one star, Very old furniture made of particle board. bed not very comfortable and blanket falling apart. , tub had black stains in it, fresh paint and looked clean other than the tub having black stains. Very small towels. Hot breakfast was decent, very limited options,they were running out of everything, and no ice for the water or sodas. They also charged $20 for pets, but no grass at all for pets to potty. Desk personnel very nice and gave us a great steak house to eat at. The Beehive was delicious.

Stayed March 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found our personnel to be very nice. I would have expected nothing less, but it is always nice to hear.

1) Staff members were notified of the nice report you gave of them.

2) Housekeeping staff was instructed to see to the removal of the black stains in the room assigned to you.

3) Management was asked about supplying a “potty area” for pets. They also were asked about replacing blankets which are falling apart.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 9, 2007

This was the worst room that I've ever stayed in. The most obvious problem was the bathtub. The enamel was cracked around the drain area, reavealing huge black areas. You could tell that it hasn't been cleaned in a very long time. We found bugs in the bathroom. I also sneezed nonstop while I was in the room. I went to the bathroom and discovered the a/c vent entirely covered in dust!

We've stayed at this hotel in the past, and it was ok. Not great, but you get what you pay for. But after this experience, we'll stay somewhere else from now on.

Stayed September 2007
8 Thank travelgirlTX
Dear Guest,

1) Housekeeping staff received extra training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance staff was appraised of the bugs in the room assigned to your use and instructed to look into the matter and see to their elimination.

bossier city, la
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This hotel was older than we normally prefer. However, in abilene, they seem to have a complete lack of hotels available. The room was clean and spacious. I have read some of the other reviews and sometimes people expect 5 star quality out of older independent hotels. For the price, you can not beat the hotel. Now if you can spend any amount out there, then go to one of the newer hotels by the interstate. I chose not to spend nearly $150 a night to stay in west Texas.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family