“Caution!”

and 1 more site!
Civic Plaza Hotel
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked a room at this Rodeway for two nights. I decided to stay only one night due to the condition of the room. I tried to check out at 7:30 a.m. the next morning. The maintenance man was at the front desk. He said he couldn't reverse the charges and that I was going to be charged for the second night. I checked out and was charged for two nights. I am disputing the charge with my credit card company. This hotel should not be associated with Choice Hotels. Not even close to being at the same standard. It should be called the Road-away Inn. Don't stay here. Just move on down the road!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank superintendentguy

Reviewed June 16, 2012

stay away from this hotel! .I'm sure it's a nice town, but this was not a nice stay and left a negative impression. rooms were never cleaned as promised, breakfast consisted of cold cereal with no milk. roaches on the counters and the smell was unbearable. food and change stolen from the room. shampoo and soap had to be replaced by me on a daily basis, because they kept taking them out. service was so unfriendly from the owners. all in all, a very bad experience which i would not impose on my worst enemies or thier dogs...................

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chuck S
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed @ The Rodeway in April 2012 for 3 nights. I travel for business and don't spend a lot of time in my room. As far as my base needs were concerned, The Rodeway was "okay" but it came up short on a number of fronts:
The hot water never got more than lukewarm.
The ceiling tiles in the bathroom were stained with mold and rust.
When leaving my room on the ground floor in the pre-dawn hours, I stepped into pitch-black darkness. The outside parking lot lighting was never turned on overnight.
The "excercise facility" is closed down but they still advertise it as an amenity.
The "free breakfast" consists of weak coffee and cold cereal served in styrofoam. There's one of those waffle iron setups but it looks like it hasn't had a good cleaning for a long time.
You can do a lot better than the Rodeway in Abilene.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Suds T
Reviewed April 30, 2012

All other hotels in area were sold out, BUT NOT this one. Now I know why! Upon arrival, there were sleazy looking people hanging around, some blatantly holding cloth rags up to their faces and obviously taking deep breaths of whatever they were sniffing that day. The room did not have a secure feel to it, as there was no chain on door. The power surge suppressor that had the lamps and tv connected to it, kept blowing out and I had to crawl under the table several times to reset it. Yes, they had a bar of soap in the bathroom--did they intentionally save me the trouble of having to open it myself? It was already opened. The bathtub had been painted over, brush strokes highly visible, as were the signs of previous room color showing through on walls of the room. Carpet was very dirty, the white socks we did not dare take off, ended up filthy black and were disposed of in the garbage. Thankfully, the room had 2 queen beds-- we only used one because the other one had dead moths on it. .Went out and found a K-Mart to purchase our own blankets and pillows...felt very uncomfortable about sleeping on theirs. Forget about the supposed free breakfast! I had never been to Abilene, and at this point I'm not sure I want to go back. Note to self....stay away from this hotel! .I'm sure it's a nice town, but this was not a nice stay and left a negative impression.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay somewhere else!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lemado
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We arrived in Abilene around 12:30 a.m. after driving for 13-1/2 hours - so we were TIRED and just wanted to find a place to sleep! We drove around and saw little in the way of hotels in the area where we were. There were actually only two that we did see. My son read the reviews on his smartphone for the first one we saw and read about how horrible that place was - cockroaches and all. Well . . . I was exhausted and didn't need anything fancy - but I really didn't want to feel icky about staying a night in the hotel either!!!

We drove around and found Rodeway Inn at about 1:00 a.m. . . . rang the bell (door was locked due to the late hour) and a woman let us inside. She checked us in and gave us some brief instructions about breakfast availability. We drove to our room, got out, and started unloading some of our items. My daughter needed to use the rest room. Found the bathtub bottom covered in bugs. Also looked filthy and appeared to be painted over with several shades of white - looked horrid. The soap on the counter was unwrapped already and appeared to be used. The floor did not look particularly clean either.

We kept socks/shoes on as the carpet didn't look especially clean either. And we already were pretty grossed out by the bathroom. When we realized that the smoke alarm was chirping (every 30 seconds) - I told my kids not to begin unpacking anything. I wanted to go back to the front desk and ask if we could move to another room.

My children and I went back to the front door of the building and rang the bell again. And again. And again. No answers - no staff anywhere. We waited for quite a few minutes hoping she'd show up again, but she didn't.

By now it's nearly 1:30 a.m. - we are exhausted beyond belief - and I just didn't know what to do. Had she shown up and not let us change rooms, I was ready to request a full refund and just continue driving until finding something acceptable. But I wasn't able to do so. I had to make a decision while standing on the sidewalk in front of the building and decided I didn't want to pay $52 for sleeping in our car for the night - so we gritted our teeth and went back to the room and spent the night.

That smoke alarm chirped every 30 seconds ALL NIGHT LONG! I put my travel pillow over my ear to hopefully fade it out enough so I could drop off to sleep. No dice. While my children were able to get a few hours of sleep, I wasn't able to. Could not get past that dumb smoke alarm.

While the mattresses and pillows seemed fine - and I checked for bugs, hairs, etc in the sheets and found none - the blanket on one bed had holes in it.

We woke fairly early the next morning (considering how late our night was), quickly packed up, checked out and left as quickly as possible. We did not want to check out what breakfast might be available - just wanted to get as far away from that place as possible - as quickly as possible. Because they had my credit card information, I felt uncomfortable asking the girl who checked us out for a refund. I felt suspicious about what might be done if I registered my complaints - and at that time just needed to leave and get my children out of there.

I still want a refund though. Thinking I'll have to make some phone calls and see what can be done. We just returned from our trip and I didn't want to let more time go by without posting the conditions of this motel. I can say this though - we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bedford, TX over the next three nights - and it was absolutely heaven compared to this place! For only a few $'s more per night - we had an extremely clean room, felt very secure, and there was always someone very helpful on duty to ask questions. We were VERY relieved to be able to stay there following our hellish night at the Rodeway Inn.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank T H
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I truly wish I had read all of the recent reviews of this property before staying here. My high school son and I visited Abilene for him to attend a visit at one of the local universities. All of the recent reviews are true - dirty bathrooms, scary folks outside, no chains on the door, one bed with no blanket, THREE huge roaches (I took photos), crumbs and dirt in the sheets, ripped blanket and burned spots on the lampshades. We checked in at almost 10 p.m after a long drive and checked out by 7:30 the next morning. The same clerk checked is in and out. I showed him the pictures of the roaches and told him about the ripped blanket. He told me we should have called the desk. Well, it was late and I had taken a shower. Funny - while they did provide pathetic soap, my 17-year-old presumed the soap was used by more than just me because it was so small. Barely enough for two showers that were incredibly quick because we did not want to stay in that shower. After we left Abilene, I called the property. I asked for a manager and the women who answered said she could help. When I inquired if the bed had been changed due to the food crumbs and dirt in the sheets, she said I was lying because of course housekeeping had changed them. She repeatedly told me I should have called the front desk while we were there. When I told her the blanket was ripped on one bed and the other bed had no blanket, she told me there was no blanket because bus drivers don't want the blanket. When I told her I had photos of roaches, she told me they were the lowest level of the Choice Hotels brand. My response was "Really? So, although you are a national chain and I paid $75, three roaches, dirty sheets, smelly room and lack of linens is OK? Because you are the lowest level of the brand?" She did offer $20 off our next stay. No...if roaches and dirty beds are OK and I am chastised for not calling the front desk (after a shower and dressed for bed).....no thank you. Even if a room is $30 a night, I would expect a clean shower, no roaches and a clean bed. My son asked to talk to her and he told me she insinuated we had ripped the blanket. Therefore, I called Choice Hotels complaint line and reported this issue. I was told they would investigate. Beware - all answers to the other reviews are canned responses. The "Manager" repeatedly told me I should have called the desk - meaning, these things were OK to start with. I have never had this type of experience and will never stay at this property again. Not just the level of cleanliness, but the response of the "manager" and her attitude toward my call was the worst customer service I have ever experience. She even put the phone down for a while and finally came back 7 minutes later and acted like she didn't know who was on the line. Again, trust these reviews.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Momof3pks
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Do not! hold your rooms with a credit card, I made reservations for our ministry team, and because of impending bad weather called to cancelled. The young man who answered stated that I would have to call back after 3pm and talk to the manager. She did not get in until 6pm and WOULD NOT cancel my reservations, saying it was because I called the same day of the reservation, too late??? after I had called twice and she wasn't there?

Our ministry team reserved 3 rooms, and I called early enough that these rooms could have been sold to some one else.

We will be making other trips to Abilene, with our full team that usually reserves not less than 7 rooms, however we will not be staying at THIS MOTEL that business they have lost!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business