“Good for Abilene”

Holiday Inn Express Abilene Mall
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed 10/29 at this HI Express on our return to Houston on a driving trip to Colorado. Nice location and friendly staff. Clean and modern. Breakfast was good run-of-the-mill HI Express, and despite a high school tennis team eating there, there was plenty of food for all.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Abilene Mall

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here overnight while traveling, and we had no complaints. The front desk staff (including the night crew since we arrived so late) as well as other staff were friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable. We appreciated them accepting small pets. The breakfast was good. The location was fine, and had we stayed longer, I'm sure we would have appreciated the Walmart closeby. If we are ever passing through Abilene again, we will definitely consider this property. I think the location might be the only thing that would put us elsewhere, but it's not really that far from the interstate.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I am here on business with 10 other guys and we have been here for 3 weeks already. Almost everyone of our guys is Platinum level with Priority Club and with that there are some perks to go with that level of status. One of them is the newspaper at the door in the morning. I noticed that the paper would come once in a while to my door but I would see them in front of the other guests doors as I walked to the elevators. I asked at the front desk if my priority number was entered on my file as I have had this problem before. They stated yes. I stated I was not getting the paper and they said they would look into it. I did not get the paper again this morning. I had enough of this so I phoned and complained. They called me back a few minutes ago to tell me my priority club number was not on file. I stated I had handed it to the front desk upon check in and that I had asked specifically if it was on file earlier. Obviously it does not matter. The next thing I really did not like about this hotel is the internet speed. Very slow and resets all the time. Parts of the hotel have very bad coverage. I also think the cleaning staff could do better. The hotel room is surface cleaned. A bit more attention to detail is needed for the cleaning of the rooms. I returned to my room after work and found that all the furniture drawers had been pulled out. This was about 6 drawers in 4 different pieces of furniture. It looked sort of like how a room would look if someone was looking for something. I phoned the front desk and asked them if this was something that housekeeping would do but forgot to close them up. She told me that it did not sound like it. I asked her to check and see who had entered the room via the door lock swipe system. She stated the manager would do it and get back to me. Nobody has called me to discuss this issue. Hotel breakfast is just ok. I have stayed at many holiday inns as I travel a great deal and the breakfast here was not quite average. I am going to update my company's internal travel booking tool with this update to ensure that all my co-workers know of this review. we are now changing hotels. I have ten men here currently with more on the way and we will be in this area for the next 2 months at minimum. This particular hotel will definitely lose my business.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2010

First of all, I want to give a shot out to Iris (nightshift front desk) and Tawana (housekeeping), because both went out of their way to make my stay a great one. There was one other young lady with long, beautiful dark brown hair at the front desk who was great as well.

Location was great - right by the mall and several decent restaurants. Cleanliness, furniture, elevator ect were up to par and the beds were excellent. And, I really liked that each room had a mini-fridge and microwave.

However, what I found negative was that 50% of the staff acted like I was a bother when I asked for something, asked a question, or even when I requested a wake up call. And the breakfast was decent except they seemed to skimp in critical areas -- coffee was very low quality; no splenda or equal - only sweet and low; and no 2% milk - only whole and 1%.

I would probably stay here again since there are not a lot of other options in Abilene, but I do wish they wouldn't skimp in these few areas and would provide the staff with some customer service training and "incentives" (if you know what I mean) to treat people well.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Supposed to be new, but seemed older than the other Holiday Inn Expresses we have stayed at. It was incredibly difficult to find the hotel in the first place and the view out the window was to the back side of an old shopping center. Our daughter cut her arm badly on the pull out couch. Had an outdoor pool, but we couldn't swim due to rain. The paint was peeling on the wall around the air conditioner, which smelled like mildew. The carpets turned our kids' feet black. If it weren't a free night from our rewards, we would NOT have stayed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn Express in Abilene. I had to plan a last minute trip for a funeral and tried to get a room at some of the higher rated hotels in Abilene but they were all booked. I took a leap of faith and booked here figuring I could leave after one night if there were problems.

I had no reason to leave.

The rooms were very clean, the location is fairly central, and noise was absolutely no problem. The free breakfast was a nice benefit and includes hot items. I found all the staff to be polite and helpful. I ended up with a King Suite which provided lots of room,a fridge and a microwave.

As you read the negative reviews, keep in mind this is Abilene and not a major city. This hotel is great if you just need a nice, safe, clean place to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank arc1234
Reviewed December 14, 2007

Stayed here one night on business. This is a great place to stay in Abilene - I compare it to the Comfort Suites down the road which was horrible (see separate review from a previous trip). Staff was friendly and efficient at check in and check out. Room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was very good. Internet worked well.

I recommend this hotel in Abilene.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank toomuchtravel