“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #143 of 270 Restaurants in Abilene
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Told of this place by friends enjoyed it very much. Good authentic Mexican food great prices. Fried or oreos great dessert. Service was a little slow but they were supper busy.

• Visited June 2014

Abilene, Texas
“Awful! Just plain Awful!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I hate to do this, but people need to know how bad this place is. I am a pretty heavy person. I am known by my wife and kids as the "Human Garbage Disposal" because I eat everything on my plate and all their left overs too. Actually I was raised poor and taught it was wasteful to leave food on your plate. I have eaten everything from monkeys to piranhas and enjoyed it. Needless to say, I am not a picky eater.
My wife did not eat breakfast and about lunch we wanted some authentic Mexican Caldo De Res. We were on our way to another restaurant when I spotted the Monterey Restaurant. It looked like a hole in the wall place and that is what I like (Not a chain restaurant person), so we pulled in. My first warning that we were in for a huge disappointment was when the chips and salsa came. The chips were okay, but my first taste of the salsa and I was like "yuck!" It tasted like it was made out of canned stewed tomatoes. I mean I had to stir it around a bit (very watery) to even find a piece of cilantro. I understand that some Americans don't like real salsa and some restaurants serve the bland mild stuff for this reason, so I asked the waitress if they had any spicier salsa. Nope! I have never been to a Mexican restaurant that did not have a second "Hotter" salsa option. I should have walked out right then, but I wanted to give them a chance, and I was very hungry. Then came the Caldo de Res. Me and my wife took a bite at the same time and saw the look on each other's face. My wife was like' What is that awful taste. We had both bit into the cabbage and it tasted like sauerkraut. Next we tasted the beef. OMG! I almost threw up in my mouth. It tasted like old dried musty meat. Like if you hung strips of beef in a moldy basement for a week before making soup out of it. On my third bit I tasted just the broth. I could detect no other seasoning in it other then a tiny bit of salt. That was it! We got up, paid and left. I am 43 years old and never in my life have I have left a bowl of soup unfinished until today. Three bites was all I could handle. I hope I don't get sick and die from those three bites. When I paid, our waitress asked if everything was okay. I said, "Honestly, it was pretty bad." I thought she might ask me what I did not like about it or call the manager, since we did not eat our food. But no, she just smiled on took our money. This told me that this restaurant does not care that it is producing horrible food and that customers are leaving disgusted. So not only if the food horrible, the service is too. Now you know where not to go if you are in Abilene, Texas.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Vongof70
Abilene, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You Need to Try”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

It may be an older part of town but it is not scary as one person wrote. You can't judge a book by its cover. I love the family atmosphere not to mention the tamales and enchiladas. I go there at least once a month and I have never had bad service or bad food. If you are looking for a fancy chain this is not if; but if you are looking for great Mexican food this is the place to go.

• Visited September 2012
texas
“Serviceable Mexican food”
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

This is actually a good little place, and a good value for the money. It is definitely not fancy, but the food is good---the enchiladas are old fashioned Tex Mex. It is actually one of the better Mexican places in Abilene-----which isn't saying much, but it is good.

Abilene, Texas
“MMM mm MMM GOOD! Excellent Mexican food!”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

One of the best Mexican Restaurants in Abilene. Family owned and operated. Trinidad, son and manager has a way of making you comfortable as soon as you walk in the door. Excellent service and excellent food!!

• Visited January 2012