“Great food, terrible customer service!”
Review of Abi-Haus

Abi-Haus
Ranked #34 of 275 Restaurants in Abilene
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We have gone to Abi Haus about 5 times, twice within the last few weeks. I keep hoping the service will improve, but I continue to be disappointed! Last night, after waiting for our cocktails for about 20 minutes (and noticing the bartender had nothing better to do then restock the bar), we inquired about our drinks. Either the server forgot or "the order got lost". Also, we saw at least 3-4 tables receive their food in this small establishment before we did, even though we sat about 30 minutes prior to the people at the other tables and we ordered the same dishes that were delivered to other tables! Not a single server or employee smiled or greeted us during our entire evening (they looked like working at the restaurant was a complete inconvenience)! Last night's experience at Abi Haus was not unique. If you enjoy good food & cocktails and can tolerate HORRIBLE service, then try this restaurant. I would love to give the staff a lesson in restaurant customer service!

3  Thank AlexDog

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Was looking for something new to try and Abi-Haus came up a few times. Went during lunch time on a Sunday. We could tell it was a college favorite, however, with our two young kids we were welcomed the same. I would maybe bring crayons/paper/something to do. The staff/our waitress were very nice. It's a small place, we didn't feel cramped though, there's also outdoor seating.

The food was good. A good change up then the same places we go. Personally I wish there was a bit more options to the menu...maybe add some soups? No kids menu, but we easily found reasonable options. Breakfast foods and Burger options, there were some good things to choose. The au jus is probably why I didn't give it 5 stars....the bread was hard and cold. Also ordered the chicken/waffles....now that was excellent....great to be able to add on some side breakfast items for the kids (so we didn't have to buy them full adult meals) Fresh lemonade and homemade sauces were a nice touch.

We would definitely go back, its located downtown, which is the prettiest part of town anyways. The dinner menu looked like it had some good options too. Could be a nice informal date place too. :)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were visiting our son at ACU and #1 on his eating out list was Abi-Haus. We went our first night there and promptly fell in love. From the rustic-metro decor to the craft bartenders to the unique food-we were hooked. We all had different items: duck, chimichurri beef, steak salad, the "expensive and truffle-just get it" and the smoky gouda shrimp and grits. Nothing was less than great. The wait staff was outstanding and we literally felt like family by the time we left. We came back 2 days later for lunch. They were training a new chef and there were some mistakes, but they were handled gracefully and with generosity toward our bill. One of the owners (I think Bobby?) even gave my mom a bottle of the tonic they made their gin and tonics with as a birthday gift. I can't recommend this gem of a restaurant enough and only wish they were closer so that we could become regulars. We'll definitely be back in Dec. for graduation. Save us a table for 5 please!

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My experience here has been hit or miss. Sometime the food is phenomenal and sometimes just so so. There drinks are good but be prepared to wait for them because that is one thing that is always consistent is bad/slow service. I know the owner has tried to correct this but sadly I have never eaten there with good service or no waited forever between drinks. Don't miss the truffle fries though

2  Thank texas_wino76
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have been going to Abi-Haus regularly not long after they opened. It's a cozy environment with fantastic food. Kyle and the rest of the chefs do amazing job preparing different plates. The servers are friendly and the managers are on spot with suggestions or just making sure you enjoyed your meal. We are usually there for dinner and Jimbo always checks on us. We thoroughly enjoyed the Beer Dinner from Petticolas as well. You can never go wrong with brunch there too! Not your typical place in Abilene which is okay with us.

Been to Abi-Haus? Share your experiences!