“Had Much Better”

Cuisines: American
Arvada, Colorado
“Had Much Better”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stopped in while passing thru town. Wish we would have looked a little further. Had a chopped beef sandwich. The sauce was pretty good but the beef wasn't chopped very well. Lots of bis chunks . We've had much better sandwiches. Nothing really stood out.

Visited June 2013

Abilene, Texas
“Best BBQ in Texas!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We moved away from Abilene 11 years ago. When we go back for family visits, Sharon's is one of the first meals we have! Chopped beef sandwich is my favorite and the peach and blackberry cobblers are good. But the jalapeno cheese corn is to die for. I could eat it by the gallon... okay maybe not the gallon, but definitely by the pint! West Texas BBQ is different from that in Central or East Texas. I think this is the best.

• Visited June 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Sharon's Barbeque (Abilene, TX)”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As soon as you step through the door to Sharon's, you're greeted by a great smokey aroma and a display case showing off their different meat options.

The interior is set up with cozy frontier-style decor plastered across the walls: chairs, old photographs, and other assorted wooden nick-nacks. The frontier motif seems to fit well with their boot-and-hat clientele. As pleasant as the dining room was, the restrooms were pretty gross. I'm assuming they mop the floors once in a while. However, the walls, trashcan, soap dispenser, and fake decorative plants looked like they had never been cleaned or even dusted.

The menu I saw online advertised both jalapeno sausage and German sausage, but when I arrived I noticed that there was no sign or mention of the jalapeno variety. Disappointed, I ordered a Mini Combo plate with German sausage and brisket, and potato salad, red beans, and jalapeno cornbread on the side.

The potato salad could have used more crunch for a texture change, but on the plus side it was full of flavor. There was an interesting degree of sweetness to it too. As for the beans, there were no visible spices, and there wasn't much in terms of taste either. I could taste the jalapenos themselves in the cornbread, but I didn't get any heat from them at all. The cornbread was decently moist and spongy, but kind of a let down overall.

The sausage had a great snap to the casings, and I could definitely taste the pepper and other spices. I tried the sausage with both the regular and vinegar barbecue sauces they had available. I liked the taste of the vinegar sauce, but it was so runny that not much stayed put on my slice of sausage. The regular barbecue sauce was good too, but basically tasted like a slightly thicker version of the vinegar sauce.

I wouldn't really describe the brisket as sliced or chopped, but rather just large chunks. The brisket wasn't inedible, although it was fairly lean and dry. Sauce was definitely needed with this offering, which certainly helped things, but a mediocre barbecue sauce can't make up for dry meat.

I had a hard time choosing between Sharon's Barbeque and Joe Allen's Pit Bar-B-Que, which both had top ratings for the area. At the last minute, I changed my mind and opted for Sharon's. Big mistake.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

Visited February 2013
1 Thank TheBarbecueFiend
Augusta, Georgia
“Good BBQ, not the best”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The BBQ was good, and the portions were very generous. I did enjoy the sauce, tangy and sweet. The Jalapeno corn muffins were amazing. The sides were just so so . it was good, but not the best in TX I have eaten.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank kjay67
Tuscola, Texas
“Great Texas barbeque”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having just returned from 15 days in Chicago, there's NOTHING like Texas barbeque, and this is one of my family's favorite barbeque spots in Abilene. Great jalepeno corn, jalepeno cornbread, brisket, ham, sausage...I can go on and on!!!!

Visited December 2012

Been to Sharon's BBQ? Share your experiences!