“Why did we wait so long?”

Belle's Chicken Dinner House
Ranked #4 of 267 Restaurants in Abilene
Cuisines: American
“Why did we wait so long?”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We've lived here for a long time. Belle's has been here for five years. Today was the first time we ate there. I googled "best chicken-fried steak in Abilene, TX" and Belle's was one of the results.

Kerith was a fantastic waitress! She checked on us just enough without it being too much.

The chicken fried steak was the best my husband and I have ever had. The sides are served family style and are endlessly refilled so you can't take them with you unfortunately. Every part of the meal was wonderful. I even liked the cream style corn and I HATE cream style corn usually.

We will definitely be back again. Hopefully this time with room for dessert. Their pies are made from scratch in the restaurant but we simply didn't have room for any this trip.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Beth M

Midland, Texas
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff and management. Food was wonderful. Nice atmosphere. Loved it all! Can't wait to go back!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank very_irritated
Sugar Land, Texas
“Best chicken anywhere!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I've been to the family chicken dinner places in Frankenmuth, MI - the ones that sell a million dinners per year. They were good, but I wondered what the fuss was all about. Belle's is worth the fuss!! This is by far and away the best chicken I've had anywhere. Crispy, juicy, flavorful - it is outstanding! The sides are delicious - tasty, fresh corn and bacon-flavored green beans, fluffy mashed potatoes. I hate white gravy - and this was quite good! Rolls come with butter and honey. Coconut cream pie has top-hat spikes of meringue. It's not fancy - it's just good, down-home friendly service and delicious food. Don't miss it!

1 Thank Louisacat
Johnstown, Colorado
“Really Great Chicken!! Friendly Service”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is one of the top 2 or 3 fried chicken restaurants I have even been to in the country. I was in Abilene alone recently for business and not knowing how long I was going to there, I checked out TA for a few recommendations. Later, I asked a business contact about Belle’s and he reaffirmed its high rating. The outside has a kewl roadhouse vibe and is jumping and busy on the inside. Even though I was alone, I was seated immediately at a four top, not in some out of the way table near a busing station. The server arrived and ran down the “menu.” Fried chicken, chicken fried steak, fried catfish, fried chicken tenders and broiled chicken, "if there's any left." My server was young; friendly in a very natural way. She remained friendly and attentive the rest of my visit, as did the table assistant (busser) who was as charming and friendly, and very pregnant and yet a workhorse. .

The star of the show was the fried chicken, perfectly breaded, moist, juicy and flavorful. Four huge pieces. I found myself cleaning the bones to get every tasty morsel, and looking around at the tables next to me to see if anybody noticed me picking up the last little bits of the fallen crust, so I didn’t miss a bite. Not only did I commit a sin against my health conscious diet, I forgot that it was a Friday during Lent and I should only be eating fish. I should have had the catfish. The vegetable sides were good, even if from a can as described by another reviewer; the gravy was real good and the green beans had a touch of bacon flavor. Kind of reminded me of Sunday at Grandma’s house veggies. I was brought another roll without being asked, perhaps because my server saw how quickly the first was inhaled. It was a minor complaint, but even hot rolls and ice cold frozen butter pats do not mix. A nice touch was the bowl of pickled Jalapeno peppers the server brought after asking.

I certainly didn’t need desert, but the coconut cream pie sounded too good to resist. I don’t know if they deliver all deserts to the table in to-go boxes, but my server did without asking and it made a nice late night snack.

I anticipate returning to Abilene and you can bet that I will be back. Warning, they are open only 4 nights a week.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank jim6918
Abilene, Texas
“When you have a hankerin' for fried chicken...”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Lively atmosphere and home-style food service is the foundation of Belle's. But, in the course of several visits here everything I have had was good. Perhaps the only peeve is that the green beans and corn seem to come straight from a can. Not that I'm opposed to canned, I was raised on them! However, mama always perked things up with some bacon drippings and seasoning!

The chicken is heavenly and the gravy is actually home made. Yum! I couldn't afford to eat here every week ($ and waistline) but it is a great treat every now and then!

• Visited October 2013