“Perfect afternoon spent at Abilene Zoo!”
Review of Abilene Zoo

Abilene Zoo
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Abilene
san angelo, tx
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Perfect afternoon spent at Abilene Zoo!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband, 5 yo son, and I visited the zoo on Labor Day 2011. The weather was perfect, crowds were small, price was more than reasonable, and animals were awake and ready to play! The zoo was clean and well maintaned - much better than Austin and San Antonio zoos. Although the zoo was small, there were plenty of animals (black bear, African lions, giraffes, etc.) to keep us entertained for at least 2hrs. The aquarium was a bit dissappointing (i think we saw two fish), but the wonderful giraffe exhibit made up for it. My son had a great time, and I would definitely take him again.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank mrsrorie

Cibolo, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Been to lots of zoos and this was by far the coolest experience one!”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Although a bit small, this zoo was very nice. Layed out well, had ample shade and the buildings and exhibits were better than most of the bigger zoos we have gone to. The price is very good, I have an annual zoo pass from San Antonio zoo and got in free with it. We bought the animal crackers not knowing what exactly we would feed with them. After about 15 minutes into the zoo, we came upon the giraffe exhibit where there was a large bridge that goes over them. My kids, and yes, myself enjoyed feeding giraffes face to face. I was so tickled to have gotten to touch a giraffe.(his tongue!) I highly recommend this zoo!

3 Thank sroseacrosstexas
Lubbock, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Quality Zoo”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

One will be surprised. It's small but packs a punch. Decent variety of animals. Great reptile exhibit. Loved the giraffes. Fed them from a bridge that crosses their area. Literally the only thing between you and them is chain link. You can actually feel them breathing on you while you feed them. The Lion gave us a couple of roars or maybe they were grunts. My kid thought it was a hair ball. He was very docile. Alligator, bear, monkeys, rhinos, elbino tiger and much more. Buy one, get one free coupons on their web site. Gift shop is ok.

3 Thank mel1223
Austin
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Small Zoo, but worth stopping by”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Just visited this zoo last week. It was a small zoo, and many of the areas were under construction. You could see the zoo in about an hour and a half, taking your time. Animals were close enough to enjoy and feeding the giraffes were the highlight of our visit.

I think once the construction is done and updates are made, the visit will be more enjoyable. If ever in the area, I would return to see the improvements.

Admission was very inexpensive.

3 Thank my3girlsAustin
delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A Fantastic Zoo !”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I can say ,unequivically, this small zoo should be a model for how a zoo SHOULD be run. I have been to no less than 15 zoos, small and large, and this one is really well managed.
The admission price is super reasonable. $2 under 12 yrs & seniors. $4 all others.
The animals were almost all paired and kept in well maintained little domiciles. Watching them socialize rather than sit singley depressed was fascinating. (I have been to many zoos where, sadly, the animals lived in squalor and sleep all day seemingly depressed and lonely ...not so here !)

Zoo features: (most paired or in communes) lions, giraffes, bison, black bears, ocelots, rhinos, spider monkeys and a spectacular "creepy crawly house" featuring beautiful specimen of snakes, spiders and other reptiles.
Bring a picnic lunch. Check out the fish feeding frenzy on the dock near the animal nursery too. You can buy a huge bag of diet specific crackers to feed the animals for $1.50 and fish food for 25 cents. Pets are not permitted.

Allow an about an hour for the casual observer or families with kids. (There is a huge free state park within walking distance) Three or four hours for persons who enjoy sitting and watching the fascinating antics and interactions of these majestic creatures. Well done Abilene keepers !

6 Thank gypsygiulia