“Don't judge a book by its cover - excellent food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taj Mahal - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
houston
“Don't judge a book by its cover - excellent food.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

1st time visit here. A little worried that on a Friday evening, there was only one customer in the place. Typically this is either a sign the place isn't any good or just that Abilenians prefer their texmex and bbq over a little Indian adventure. Naturally the service was good - we were only one of two customers in the place. Ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. If you're not familiar with Indian food, you can never go wrong with the Chicken Tikka masala dish. It is a mainstay. They asked what level of spice I wanted for the chicken dish. I guess you can pick your spice here and I like it spicy so I asked for "hot", which apparently was one level milder than "Indian hot". Also ordered the spinach and potato dish (can't remember the Indian name on the menu). The food comes with rice and regular naan bread (kind of like pita bread), but I upgraded to the garlic naan which is delicious. The food was absolutely delicious and the "hot" spice was perfect level of heat for me. The heat of the chicken dish reminded me of the hot green chile spice you get in New Mexico. I might try the "Indian hot" next time. I like to eat Indian about once every 2 to 3 weeks and I will be back for sure.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank mpgermany

“Like Family”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Taj Mahal is not just any restaurant. I have been going since they opened and several of my friends go, as well. The owners treat you as family. They will go out of their way for you. If you are dissatisfied with anything, you only need mention it(as everyone has different taste.) They will fix something else for you. They want you to enjoy your visit as much as you do. The atmosphere is low light, which makes it relaxing. The I love the food and the people! Try it and see for yourself!

• Visited August 2013
“I think I'm gonna be sick”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

You walk in to a dimly lit cavern with hot steam pouring from the kitchen in the back where all the light peaks through. Curry, curry oh Allah the curry. I'm serious it reaks of curry so much so that it has ruined the furniture, walls, entire building and drive down buffalo gap road. Back to the restaurant though. You sit down on chairs from the local goodwill. What's that I hear in the back? A duel between the chefs or domestic violence. I couldn't tell the difference. You decide to order the first of two items on the menu, Curry casserole. It was either that or curried goat/anteater combination burrito with curry Durango spicy sauce. So I scarf it down because I didn't want to offend the chef. That and there was no one else in there to support evidence in the case I was murdered. Chances were 50/50 being as the waitress called me white devil. So I drive home sick to my stomach to have a hard case of explosive diarrhea and uncontrollable vomiting for 3 weeks.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank ArtVandalay22
Abilene, Texas
“Give it a chance...”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Perhaps I was like most people, in that I was a little hesitant to try something very different - or at least I had built it up in my head to be very different. Alas, I broke down and went with some friends to Taj Mahal and was really pleased with the food. They have a buffet, with various Indian food offerings, which I found to be very good overall. Since I live just a few miles away, it has become a frequent stop as they tend to never be busy, and the customer service is really great. I hope they make it! You should go...now!!

Visited January 2013
“Good to Very Good Indian Food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A nice change of pace from the typical food fares while on the road. The decor and food is authentic. Nothing fancy. I have actually ate at this establishment two times. It is not the best Indian food I have ever had, but certainly not the worst. Keeping in mind that you are in the heart of the Texas flat lands.....it's the best for miles and miles around. The buffet is about $10.00.

• Visited March 2013