“Whitten Inn has the friendliest staff, immaculate rooms, all the conveniences we wanted and more.”

Whitten Inn University
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We were driving from the East Coast to Arizona and found ourselves in Abilene, Texas at the end of the day. We were looking for any lodging near the freeway and we found a real gem. The night desk attendant, Stephanie, greeted us with a smile, cheerfully answered my questions: the rooms have a hairdryer, coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave oven, vending machines located near room, complimentary breakfast and a two queen bed smoking room was available for $57. I was thrilled. The room was immaculately clean, the beds so comfortable, the property superbly maintained. I slept well for the first time on the trip. The next morning I was again warmly greeted, this time by Stiasia the property manager and Ralph the front desk attendant; I thanked them for a wonderful stay and complimented them on their great staff and wonderful rooms. As we were in a hurry to get back on the road I only had time to grab to two bananas from the beautiful dining room. I wish I had had more time, the dining room looked inviting and they had waffles, pancakes, muffins, fruit, hard boiled eggs, assorted cereals, biscuits and gravy, juices, etc. My compliments to the Whitten Inn staff and management, thank you so very much.

• Stayed: January 2010
There are newer reviews for Whitten Inn University

Reviewed October 29, 2009

I never heard of Whitten Inn before I came across the motel in Abilene, Texas.

On the day checked in, the receptionist was very courteous. I felt welcome.

The first night was fine. The room was clean and the price was reasonable. I thought I would stay at least three nights.

On the second night, the air condition went out in the middle of the night. I was distrubed constantly by loud banging and gunning of cars.

When I checked out, the receptionist was on the phone having a private conversation. I had to wait on her to get off the phone and check me out. She put down the phone, checked me out and went back to the phone and continued the private conversation. She never asked me how my say was. It was very rude.

This particular receptionist (Kerry) appears in the welcome video on the web site of Whitten Inn located at 1625 Texas Highway 35I, Abilene, Texas.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank writerbillc
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Rooms were very clean, roomy and nice. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant offered a very relaxing meal and most importantly when we retired for the night, the area was quiet. Even though there was
a large family reunion and wedding party going on, all the other guests were
respectful of others. Truly a good experience.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SharonW
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My family & i stayed here for two nights. The outside looks like an old building. Thats okay. But wait, the inside lounge was nice. They gave us an upstairs room, i asked for a downstairs. Oh well i guess. Then we go to our hotel room. The key card didnt even want to work. We had to try it several times. When we got in our room the capet has stains on it. We had two beds in the room and the room was so SMALL! The tv and cable only worked on certain channels. Then it would start making a wierd noise. I camplained and they said they would have to deal with it monday. We were checking out that Sunday! The shower knobs omg, they didnt work. I almost burned myself because they wouldnt turn off. The breakfast was alright. But Cereal, muffins and frozen pancakes doesnt fill you up. The pool was dirty. The lady at the desk SASHA or something like that was so rued when i told her about all the problems we had. ALL IN ALL I will never stay here again and i wouldnt even recommend this to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank newyorktravler1234
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Usually, I'm somewhat suspicious about local hotels and regional chains, but since there seemed to be more favorable comments than negative about the Whitten properties, I decided to take a chance on this one for my first stay with them.

I arrived early, well before the 3PM check-in time, and even with rooms full with people staying for a rodeo and workers on some of the nearby windfarms, they were able to get me into a room before 11 AM. The women at the desk were excellent, particularly the young woman who checked me in. A friendly personality goes a long way to help the stress of getting from place to place disappear, if but for a little bit.

Even though it looks to be an older building on the outside, don't let that fool you! Inside, is a nice firm bed in the center of a clean room with great Wireless internet reception. All of that, plus a great cable lineup was all I needed for a comfortable experience.

The only downside I could think of was the fact that if there was an elevator, I couldn't find it. Dragging a suticase, laptop bag, duffel bag and other items up a flight of stairs isn't impossible, but it'd be a lot better if I didn't have to go through so much just to lug everything around.

Aside from that one drawback, the next time I'm in Abilene, I'll definitely be staying at this place!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FPGradionews
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We stopped at the Whitten Inn University while passing through Abilene. I had previously stayed at the Whitten Expo Center, and was pleased enough to book this room. The rate I was offered seemed high at $72, and that was with a "discount" for be a graduate of an area university. On top of that, an additional $15 was charged for bringing our dog. I thought it would be ok because I trusted the chain, and had stayed with them before. How wrong I was. At check-in, the staff was courteous, but did not inform us that the hotel was hosting the Little Miss Diamond Beauty Pageant. As a result the commotion was non-stop. Perhaps overwhelmed by the intensity of the aspiring beauty queens, the grounds were scattered with beer cans, dog poop, dead birds and the remnants of children who didn't care about anyone else but themselves. We had wanted to use the pool, but it was always in direct sun, and every time we looked it was more crowded than the last.

Instead, we chose to tour Abilene and eat at the not to be missed Harold's BBQ.

When we returned to the hotel, we were ready to go to bed by 10pm. However, the pool noise did not end, even though the pools hours ended at that time. Upon visiting the front desk, I was told, "don't worry, we're keeping it open until midnight because of the beauty pageant." They acted as if the were doing me a favor. When I mentioned that we were not with them and just wanted to go to bed, the desk agent seemed confused. When I explained that we had a room that faced the pool and that changing the hours to midnight was unacceptable for people that did not want to swim, she gave a flat "sorry." I asked if we could be given a discount on our rate, she said that we would have to ask the manager in the morning.

In the mean time, we discovered that every time our A/C cycled, it had a very loud "death rattle." This would repeat about every 45 minutes throughout the night.

The next morning I did speak to the manager. Informing her of our discontent, she seemed brusque and unreceptive. She did begin filling out a maintenance form for the A/C, but this was little compensation to us. Upon a third visit to the front desk, the $15 dog deposit was refunded, (our dog was much better behaved than the Little Miss Diamonds.) However, the alumni discount had disappeared. The night was no where near worth $86. We will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ibteach_tx
Reviewed May 4, 2009

excellent cleanliness, staff is "west texas friendly", i go there weekly on business and they always clall me by name , price very reasonable, very accessable to resturants and shopping (a short walk)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business