“Stains of the Floor, Key Card Didnt work, Tv didnt work, & More!”

Whitten Inn University
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
new york
“Stains of the Floor, Key Card Didnt work, Tv didnt work, & More!”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My family & i stayed here for two nights. The outside looks like an old building. Thats okay. But wait, the inside lounge was nice. They gave us an upstairs room, i asked for a downstairs. Oh well i guess. Then we go to our hotel room. The key card didnt even want to work. We had to try it several times. When we got in our room the capet has stains on it. We had two beds in the room and the room was so SMALL! The tv and cable only worked on certain channels. Then it would start making a wierd noise. I camplained and they said they would have to deal with it monday. We were checking out that Sunday! The shower knobs omg, they didnt work. I almost burned myself because they wouldnt turn off. The breakfast was alright. But Cereal, muffins and frozen pancakes doesnt fill you up. The pool was dirty. The lady at the desk SASHA or something like that was so rued when i told her about all the problems we had. ALL IN ALL I will never stay here again and i wouldnt even recommend this to my worst enemy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank newyorktravler1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Usually, I'm somewhat suspicious about local hotels and regional chains, but since there seemed to be more favorable comments than negative about the Whitten properties, I decided to take a chance on this one for my first stay with them.

I arrived early, well before the 3PM check-in time, and even with rooms full with people staying for a rodeo and workers on some of the nearby windfarms, they were able to get me into a room before 11 AM. The women at the desk were excellent, particularly the young woman who checked me in. A friendly personality goes a long way to help the stress of getting from place to place disappear, if but for a little bit.

Even though it looks to be an older building on the outside, don't let that fool you! Inside, is a nice firm bed in the center of a clean room with great Wireless internet reception. All of that, plus a great cable lineup was all I needed for a comfortable experience.

The only downside I could think of was the fact that if there was an elevator, I couldn't find it. Dragging a suticase, laptop bag, duffel bag and other items up a flight of stairs isn't impossible, but it'd be a lot better if I didn't have to go through so much just to lug everything around.

Aside from that one drawback, the next time I'm in Abilene, I'll definitely be staying at this place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FPGradionews
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We stopped at the Whitten Inn University while passing through Abilene. I had previously stayed at the Whitten Expo Center, and was pleased enough to book this room. The rate I was offered seemed high at $72, and that was with a "discount" for be a graduate of an area university. On top of that, an additional $15 was charged for bringing our dog. I thought it would be ok because I trusted the chain, and had stayed with them before. How wrong I was. At check-in, the staff was courteous, but did not inform us that the hotel was hosting the Little Miss Diamond Beauty Pageant. As a result the commotion was non-stop. Perhaps overwhelmed by the intensity of the aspiring beauty queens, the grounds were scattered with beer cans, dog poop, dead birds and the remnants of children who didn't care about anyone else but themselves. We had wanted to use the pool, but it was always in direct sun, and every time we looked it was more crowded than the last.

Instead, we chose to tour Abilene and eat at the not to be missed Harold's BBQ.

When we returned to the hotel, we were ready to go to bed by 10pm. However, the pool noise did not end, even though the pools hours ended at that time. Upon visiting the front desk, I was told, "don't worry, we're keeping it open until midnight because of the beauty pageant." They acted as if the were doing me a favor. When I mentioned that we were not with them and just wanted to go to bed, the desk agent seemed confused. When I explained that we had a room that faced the pool and that changing the hours to midnight was unacceptable for people that did not want to swim, she gave a flat "sorry." I asked if we could be given a discount on our rate, she said that we would have to ask the manager in the morning.

In the mean time, we discovered that every time our A/C cycled, it had a very loud "death rattle." This would repeat about every 45 minutes throughout the night.

The next morning I did speak to the manager. Informing her of our discontent, she seemed brusque and unreceptive. She did begin filling out a maintenance form for the A/C, but this was little compensation to us. Upon a third visit to the front desk, the $15 dog deposit was refunded, (our dog was much better behaved than the Little Miss Diamonds.) However, the alumni discount had disappeared. The night was no where near worth $86. We will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ibteach_tx
el paso texas
Reviewed May 4, 2009

excellent cleanliness, staff is "west texas friendly", i go there weekly on business and they always clall me by name , price very reasonable, very accessable to resturants and shopping (a short walk)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank carbuyerelpaso
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I do not particularly enjoy staying in hotels, but this was a very enjoyable experience. The staff was exceptionaly delightful.They were all very helpful and informative. The room was very clean. I loved the location. There were numerous places to eat that were in walking distance. I really liked that about the hotel as opposed to having to find my way around a town that i wasn't really acustomed to. Also, they serve a wonderful breakfast so we didn't even have to worry about spending any more money the morning of our departure. Over all, I would say that this hotel is spectacular from the customer service to the appearance and comfortability of the hotel. Next time you happen to be in Abilene, Tx, I would strongly recommend that you visit the Whitten Inn University location.

• Liked — The friendly service and the feeling that your business with them was very important.
  • Disliked — Everything was overall really good. I have no dislikes except the fact that there isn't a Whitten in every city
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank amberstar123
Benfleet, Essex, UK
Reviewed December 6, 2008

When my wife and I first entered our room, our first impression was how light the room was, with its big window. It was with relief that we had found a motel which was of high quality - just as described in other Trip Advisor reviews.

The reduced-price coupon from a Room$aver.com booklet was readily accepted by the friendly reception employees.

The room we were allocated had one Queen bed in it; by the amount of complimentary coffee provided, I guess that it was usually occupied by one guest, not two. (To be fair, we were offered a room with two beds.)

The bed and pillows were comfortable, and there was little traffic noise (we were towards the back of the motel). The bathroom was rather small, though, and a towel rail beside the wash basin would have been useful.

However, overall, we were very satisfied and would be pleased to return there. Incidentally, there is a Wal Mart store just opposite.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harrisonburg, VA
Reviewed December 5, 2008

The big signs along interstate advertising this family-friendly hotel was our first attraction. We have five children and they gave us a big comfortable room for all of us with no extra cost. They also provided a pack-n-play (crib) for our baby which helped ensure a good nights rest. The continental breakfast in the morning with the Texas-shaped waffles was fun for the kids and the buffet contained good healthy foods for our family. The cost of the hotel was very good too. I'd reccomend it to anyone.

Stayed July 2008