“TX under Hard Times made Good Times”

Whitten Inn University
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I entered Abilene with no reservation and money being held by another hotel. I stopped by 5 places before I got to Whitten. When I entered, Stephanie was so kind and caring of my situation! Even though they were "booked full", she STILL got me in for the 8 days I needed to stay in Abilene. Between her and Stasia, and honeslty, ALL of the employees, from the kitchen staff to the cleaning staff, they made my less than comfortable situation seem to vanish with their acts of kindness and caring compassion. I WILL BE BACK, no doubt about that!! LOCATION was very convenient as well - near where I needed to be.

Room Tip: There is a little construction going on, but it really didn't hinder my stay. Pool was not op...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
wiexpo, Director of Sales at Whitten Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for taking time to let us know how we are doing. It is nice when hard times hit home, but you find a place that makes you smile. Be sure to stay with us next time you are in the Abilene area.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have stayed at two different Whitten Inn locations in the past (Abilene-University and Van Horn,TX.) The owners Mr & Mrs Whitten and the staff (Wendy and Mr.Whitten in Van Horn and Stasia in Abilene) are AWESOME!! I refuse to stay at any other hotels on I-20 between Dallas,TX and El Paso,TX (and I have tried others) If you want to feel like you are staying with family then Whitten Inn is the place to stay. I am a woman traveling alone so I have to be very careful where I stay. Mr. Whitten or whoever is at the front desk will always have my room ready and then they go above and beyond by calling me after I have gotten in my room to make sure I am ok and locked in safely if it's at night. Everyone is friendly and always ready to help make my stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Today I was going to stay at the Van Horn,TX location but due to inclement weather I had to make an overnight stay in Abilene. As soon as Mr. Whitten found out I had checked in he told the front desk clerk (Stasia) to take care of me and asked her to give me a room with a king size bed because he knows what my preferences are (I travel between Dallas,TX and Phoenix,AZ every 4-6 wks.) And on top of the excellent customer service I get the rooms are super clean, bed is comfortable,everything works,breakfasts are great,water is hot,the price is even greater. What else can I say? Except to tell you to check it out for yourselves and you'll find that you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I have never been disappointed with any of the rooms in Abilene,TX and I always get the same room in...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Janie2004

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. When you find that right place to stay it is a good feeling. Please be sure to call the hotel so we can make your reservation next time you are coming to the Abilene area. Thank you.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stay here when we come to Abilene. The rooms are clean, pet friendly, great weekly rate, close to restaurants and Wal-Mart. Not to mention the front desk staff is very friendly! Stasia is awesome! If you're here on business or pleasure stay here!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate our guest letting us know how we are doing. Please be sure to stay with us again when you are planning to come to the Abilene area.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Finally decided to stay here and really have no complaints...Super comfortable beds, really clean, and friendly/helpful staff...I think i have found my new destination when i come to abilene....Im really happy with no complaints only praise. I was pretty impressed!

Room Tip: This is the Whitten Inn to stay at when you come to Abilene.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The owners have really taken Mr. Hilton's advice. Come be our guest. They make you feel welcome and do all they can at the desk to make your stay the best experience. We were stuck there for 3 days in a winter storm and they were so accommodating to all of the unexpected guests. Large grand room used for breakfast but great for getting out of the room, they have couches and extra TV's to use. Lots of parking and such easy access to I-20. Walk to Stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: We have stayed here several times and the value is the best in Abilene. I love the easy access to th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good value hotel room. Nothing special but rooms are clean and cozy. Family atmosphere and friendly staff. The doors are open to the outside and in some rooms highway noise is a bit loud. Breakfast is ok if you like waffles or cereal, but no eggs are offered. It is across the street from Cracker Barrel. Overall a good value stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We checked in VERY late at night, the room was good, However the staff was just terrible. I tried to get on the internet just after arrival, and managed to get the login, within 30 seconds the internet went down. I tried to get back on line because I needed to plan the remainder of our trip, I called the front desk the next morning to tell them the internet was down, I ws told that as soon as someone came in they would re set it. I went to get breakfast and mentioned to the clerk at the desk that the internet wasn't working, . She said " No one else has complained." At checkout she asked if I had been able to get on the internet, stating she had re-set it. I asked to speak to the manager, She stated she was the manager. I asked for the corporate phone number to call she did give me a 800 number when I called to complain about her attitude, she was the one answering the phone. If we pay $75.00 a night for a room the internet should be working. I am VERY disappointed in the " managers " attitude. THE ONLY reason I am giving it a 3 rating is because the room was nice, and the breakfast was fantastic.If the managers attitude had been better I would have gladly given it 5 stars but poor customer service gets a lower rating. and since I manage a motel, I am MORE aware of the need for great customer service. BTW the snide " Have a blessed day" as I was leaving was totall uncalled for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family