“Horrible stay”
Review of Whitten Inn

Whitten Inn
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The daytime employees are rude and mean. I would not recomend staying here.the housekeeping staff does not even vacuum the rooms. I had money come up missing. The pool was over chlorinated. Overall it was a horrible stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jdub456

Reviewed June 17, 2013

WHY WE WILL NOT STAY AT WHITTEN. Saw the "family friendly" billboards in Abilene and reserved at Whitten Inn. On checking in, found they had a $0.50 mandatory phone charge: we had provided cell phone and advised we have no need for local phone. Clerk ("L") stated that charge was "automatic / on computer and could not be removed / a "tax". When I noted that I was ready to go elsewhere, the clerk advised: "you can always stay someplace else!" and we chose to follow her advice - stayed at Sleep Inn (great accommodations). AND, for a 50 cent fee, they lost an $85 room.
Wouldn't be surprised that charge really a WiFi fee, but they designate as phone system charge so Whitten can advertise "free WiFi". Who heard of a mandatory phone charge in an interstate hotel/motel, when we all have cell phone.

Room Tip: Stay at Sleep Inn - great service and property, pet friendly.
1  Thank Gabelex
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We used a coupon (45$) and we were amazed by the quality of the accomodation. I don't mean that it is a luxury hotel but it is very good. Everything worked very well in the room including the wifi. There were a fridge and microwave in the room. It was very clean and the mattresses were OK. Not overly comfortable, but OK. We really appreciated that there was a laundry room. There was also a swimming pool but it was not open yet (beginning of May).

There was also a computer in the lobby for the guests but it was very slow. I did not try the breakfast but my husband did. He said it was OK. They had a huge breakfast room. Very nice lobby. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and that's true for all the employees. Even the cleaning staff was very friendly. We were only disappointed that we could not pay with our travelers cheques (we are from Canada). As my husband got sick, we decided to stay one more night and were charged 65$ (20$ more) for the second night but we understand very well. The coupon is only good for one night. And it only shows how much you save when you use coupons!

Next to Subway, Walmart and Cracker Barrel. But there is a lot of traffic to go to Walmart and Cracker Barrel. You can walk to Subway. If you have time for a museum, try ''Frontier, Texas'', it is awesome.

1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The front desk staff verry friendly and helpfull. This was one of the cleanest motel's that I have stayed in and the price by using the coupon book was well worth the stay. The king beds and no noise from the interstate traffic. Also a very strick pollicy on no smoking in no smoking rooms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

front desk very friendly. We had a coupon for $45, so it was a bargain. nice beds - clean room. Nothing over the top, but adequate and clean and a decent sized room. Did not like that it was pet-friendly, since I am allergic to some pets and we do not have one. So far, no sneezing or swollen eyes! Going to sleep here now.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The room I stayed in cost $52.00 total travel coupon rate for double full size beds.The room was clean with everything working..Flat screen tv,microwave and refrigerator.Lots of pillows and blankets.Room was big with table and chairs,new carpet and paint..Breakfast area was huge for lots of people had the usual breakfast menu and a little more.Truck parking for big semi is available just get there early this place fills up even thou it has alot of rooms.Located right off the freeway exit 288,I-20 construction going on so check your exit call hotel..I;ll be back..

Room Tip: Call ahead check on rooms available and use travel coupon..Semi drivers call ahead of time..Place wa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was told about the hotel by a local business contact and because it was late in the day I headed right over. They said it was locally owned and not part of one of the big chains. The front desk staff was friendly and enthusiastic. They responded to my request for a "quite" room. They also gave me my senior discount which I thought was rather nice.

After checking in, I was sorry that I hadn't asked to see the room first. Actually, I drove around the hotel several times looking for the room. It too a few minutes to discover there were rooms opposite the ones facing the parking lot.

The room was rather ordinary and the bathroom tiny, tiny, tiny. I was not thrilled with the mattress as it was cheap and not particularly comfortable. But, I have to say that at least the pillows were decent.

One of the things that the enthusiastic deck clerks talked about was their hot breakfast. it was also a disappointment. The waffle machine had been removed. There was no decaf coffee for my travel companion who likes coffee but can't do the caffeine. Also, there was no toaster for the bread or bagels.

Actually, coming back from dinner after checking in, I saw a billboard with a rate lower than the senior rate I paid. I asked at the desk and they told me if I had taken the billboard rate that I would have been charged more for the extra person and there was some other added on charge. Kind of sneaky pricing.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are on the pool side of the hotel but they are far from parking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends