“Best place for lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Clyde, Texas
“Best place for lunch”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Beehive to meet up with out-of-state friends and were rewarded with friendly service and a varied menu to choose from. The chicken fried steak with gravy on the side is superb, the salads are large fresh and crisp, the vegetables were cooked to perfection and we didn't have room for dessert.

Cowanesque, Pennsylvania
“Over rated”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Very pricey, steak was over priced compared to other steak houses in Abilene. Dinining area was small for the amount of settings. Staff was very friendly and service was excellant, wish steak would have been better.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank grantbagpiper
Good Thunder, Minnesota
“Half good half bad”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews we decided to go to the beehive. It was a Saturday at 7pm. There was an hour wait. You can wait in the bar but I had kids so we waited in chairs. I planned ahead and took my kids tablets. The atmosphere is dim but inviting. Its a mix of rustic and sophisticated. The staff was good. We sat in the very back. It was very stuffy without much circulation. Both my son and I had instant headaches. We ordered the combo appetizer $7. Fried mushrooms cauliflower onion rings. It was ok. The batter was bland. The veggies hard and under cooked. Served with bottled ranch. Ive had better at cheap dinners. The bread was good but butter was froze solid. The soft drinks dont have refills. So $2 a glass. My kids had a hamburger and bacon cheeseburger. Neither ate much. I tasted them both. The meat was dry and wasnt granular meat consistency but more like meatloaf consistency. The buns were greasy. Not horrible but not gourmet. The deli pickles were good. The fries were over seasoned and soggy. I had the beef oscar. Bacon wrapped steak with crab sauce. It came with beef soup. The soup was good. My son took it from me because he liked it so much. A little skimpy of meat but flavorful. The beef oscar was good. A little overseasoned. I ordered med rare but got rare. I didnt mind much because i eat rare sometimes. The steaks are large but id prefer a 6 or 8 oz instead of 10 or 12 oz. After drinking my water I realized my glass was foggy because of hard water? Stains not because of condensation. Kinda a turn off. For one adult and two kids it was $54 no dessert. It was ok. We eat at many restaurants. They range from local dinners to gourmet high end. This has a feeling of fine dinning but food is more like a good dinner. Maybe not worth the hour wait and $54. I dont know I would go back. But not a horrible experience. I recommend the beef oscar and the beef soup.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank tandbi
“Beehive is in nice location downtown and food is good”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a place we always enjoy. Food can be a little heavy, but have learned to get a salad and and share in an appetizer for myself. My son enjoys the Steak Oscar. We never feel rushed even though we are late-evening diners. Wait staff is professional. The owner will usually stop by the table to see how things are. Nice touch.

One bad thing... they will not seat a party if you have told them seven and there are only six there. Even though we told them that the seventh person may not be coming, we still couldn't get seated. Not enough chairs to sit in waiting room for a party of seven. Some of us were not happy about standing around in high heels. There were plenty of table because our reservations were for an early lunch. Other than this experience, the Beehive is a nice place to eat.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TravelersOf4
Texas
“Authentic West Texas Steak”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wonderful weekly Specials on the weekends, very fresh & flavorful. Best Steaks in Abilene! We love the atmosphere, and decor. The only complaint is that they need a larger space to accommodate for the popularity!

• Visited December 2013

Been to The Beehive? Share your experiences!