“Even better the second time!”

Sleep Inn & Suites University
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights while dropping our son off at university for the semester. We choose this hotel because we had such a nice experience here in May. This trip was no different. The manager, Mary, even remembered our names and welcomed us back! She was obviously busy, but took a few minutes to speak to us, and to ask my son about his classes. Such personal, dedicated service is so refreshing! The entire staff is great, and the hotel is clean and nicely decorated. We will certainly be back again soon!

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My first time to stay at this Sleep Inn and Suites. What a great surprise! Very clean and open lobby...extremely friendly and helpful check-in person...exceptionally clean rooms and lobby...my family had 2 rooms and this was a fantastic choice. I would highly recommend the Sleep Inn and Suites in Abilene.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stopped because we try to use Choice Hotels whenever possible, they have a great rewards program and this place looked pretty new. I was kinda looking forward to the cool showers that I've seen in other Sleep Inns that I've been to but this one had the tub/shower combo which was ok. It was very clean and nice. We had a nice quiet stay.
There are a couple things they need to work on. One is the laundry part. There was a washer and dryer but couldn't find laundry soap. A sign in the laundry area said "You can purchase laundry soap in the vending machines on the 1st & 3rd floors" So I went to both...there was none. Actually on the 3rd floor there wasn't even any vending or ice machines as the sign stated!
Other then that it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank thenewhalfofme
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel is very new and located right on I-20. The lobby when you walk in is very clean and the staff were very helpful. However, the first room we checked into the room was not very clean and we asked to be changed. They were quick to resolve the issue. The 2nd room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There are few things they need to work on - the walls are very thin, we could hear our neighbor snoring; the pool area had trash and dirty towels that needed to be picked up and we were there 2 days & it was still there when we left.

We had to check out early to get back home and they offered us a discount for the 2nd day, which was AWESOME as this never happens.

I do wish they would give this new property a little TLC and make it great....so I'm curious to see what others think.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jetsetterwannabe
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

All staff friendly - woman running breakfast top notch. Morning front staff knowledgeable and cheerful. Evening staff friendly, but had her laptop out and turned up, which I found rude.

The rooms are wonderful! They are clean and smell nice. The shower was different, but fun.

A lovely little place to stop, especially since they were busy and we encountered no true problems.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed for two days at the Sleep Inn on I-20 in Abilene, TX while we were having construction work done on our home. This is a newer hotel, with a sign on the side of the 3-story hotel that says "Now Open." However, if some attention isn't paid to maintenance and cleaning issues, the hotel will not continue to look new for long.

First, the positives: The staff was very kind. The location is convenient to I-20, ACU, HSU and Hendrick Medical Center. I loved the large, tiled walk-in shower.

Now the negatives: The deadbolt on my door was very finicky, and it took quite a bit of fiddling with it to make it work. There were large, inky-blank handprints on the upholstered bench in my room. That made me wonder if other areas of my room were dirty, so I removed the bedspread and left it in the floor. The bed was flat and squishy - not what I would have expected in a newer hotel. The sheets are cheap. The electrical outlet above the desk was not anchored to the wall and instead hung out from the wall by the wiring. Bathroom needed mopping, and the bathroom door was hung improperly so that there wasn't enough clearance between the bottom of the door and the floor - it couldn't be opened all the way. The layout of the bathroom was odd, with the bathroom door (if it would have opened all the way) blocking access to the shower. I wasn't able to log on to the wifi network. Check out took forever and I never got a printed receipt or the promised email receipt. There was an odd odor in the hallway and I couldn't get past the thought that I was sleeping in a place that wasn't very clean.

You get what you pay for. Pay a little more and stay across the interstate, a couple of exits down, or near the mall area - there are several other better hotel options in this area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank abibh
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I actually stayed at the Sleep Inn on Danville Rd in Abilene but that location does not come up TA. I checked in after a long day of driving and the y behind the desk was helpful and quick. Room was clean. breakfast was good.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business