“It was pleasant.”

Wingate by Wyndham Abilene
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Abilene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Andrews, TX
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My experience was not bad at all, but based on the previous reviews, I was disappointed, so my review is going to explain why I wasn't impressed.

Here are the things that were less than desirable:
- The lid to the ice bucket was filthy. It looked like it had mold on it. I left it face up and unavoidable (I thought) so the housekeeper would clean it. It was ignored.
- There weren't enough towels in the room, and similarly, there weren't enough towels by the hot tub (only 2 both places).
- I asked at the front desk for the room safe to be unlocked. I explained that I was leaving, but that it was fine for them to go in and unlock it so that I could use it that night. They called me several hours later to ask if they had my permission to enter the room to unlock the safe. I assured them they did. When I returned to the room, the safe was still locked.
- The cordless phone was beeping and displaying a message that the battery was bad. I just unplugged it and reported it before I left.
- The door to the room was very hard to open and close. I had to throw my shoulder into it. Kind of ridiculous.
- Lastly, on the second night, there was an unpleasant smell in the bathroom.

It was a comfortable and spacious room, though, with nice furniture. Good location. The breakfast was good, and at the times I went, there was adequate seating.

I got this room through a blind booking on Hotwire for $75, so it was satisfactory. Otherwise, having stayed several times each at the Hampton, Fairfield, and Hilton Garden Inns in this immediate area, I would always choose the Hampton for most consistently good stays.

• Stayed December 2013
WingatebyWyndham1, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Abilene, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
I want to apologize to you for your unpleasant experience. Your comments helped us develop a more complete system in managing the housekeeping and maintenance service. I assure you that if you would be kind enough to give us one more chance you will see the difference a couple of words made to our hotel.
San Angelo
Reviewed December 14, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Abilene late (around Midnight), after a fairly long trip from Texarkana. We had difficulty locating the hotel, so I called the hotel to ask for directions. I admit that I was feeling tired and irritable, but the hotel employee wasn't helpful with the directions. Once we arrived at the hotel and came to the front desk, we waited a bit, and then she appeared. She brushed the crumbs off of her shirt and apologized that she was just eating.
My wife and I didn't feel that she was very pleasant. In the hotel room, we noticed scuff marks on the walls. It appeared like the room had been treated roughly by former guests. The next morning, we noticed that the breakfast area had a limited amount of food available. It appeared that the staff tries to be a little stingy with the food items. The TV was playing loudly and I asked the hotel attendant from the breakfast area to turn down the volume. I admit that I didn't ask pleasantly, but the attendant was also sour in her reply. When she turned the volume down, another of the guests complained sharply that the volume is not loud enough for her to hear. When the attendant said that another guest asked for it to be turned down, she replied, "whatever." Admittedly, my mood could have been better, but the hotel staff could have treated us better as well. Especially for the nightly rate charged by this hotel chain. We will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

WingatebyWyndham1, Owner at Wingate by Wyndham Abilene, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
I apologize for the way that you were treated while staying at our hotel. It has been a month of training and trimming the staff so that your experience would never be experienced again. Thank you for you honesty and I would like to assure you that if given a chance the Wingate By Wyndham would love to redeem ourselves to you and your family.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Spent a night here while on the road. Very nice hotel! Great decor, Very large room, with sitting area, and microwave and frig in the room, indoor hot tub, nice looking outdoor pool. Nice breakfast area with good free breakfast. Very accommodating staff, who recommended restaurants to walk to, including one that gave free appetizer with a room key from the hotel. They also had a small "store" with frozen meals that could be used in the microwave in the lobby or in your room. Although we only stayed one night due to travel, I could easily have been happy staying longer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that your family enjoyed your stay.