“Noisy place, pool dirty and unkept”

Hilton Garden Inn Abilene
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Kansas City, Missouri
“Noisy place, pool dirty and unkept”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed a week and there was always noise and lost sleep. The wall thermostat did not have a setting to keep the fan running constantly which was a big part of the problem. The doors and walls are not very good sound absorbers so this is also part of the problem. It would have helped if the pool was clean and the hot tub was hot, 0 for 2 here. I don't like being the first one in the pool in the morning and finding beer cans and trash around the pool. Plus there was no trace of chlorine in the water and it was kind of green. I expect more for $129.00 per night in a small town in west Texas.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
innovativehotels, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Please let me apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. What you describe is certainly not typical, and I'm sorry that you had to experience this at our hotel. We know its tough being on the road and in a hotel room for a week, and it's important to get what you expect which are clean, comfortable, and hospitable accommodations. It sounds like we fell short on these basic expectations during your stay. We will certainly review your comments with all of our staff members and ensure that this does not happen in the future. The next time you are in town, please do try us out again and I'm confident that you will see the true level of service and comfortable accommodations that we are known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I stayed here for two nights and from the landscaping outside the lobby door, the comfortable seating in the lobby itself, my own room, the fitness center, pool, good--and relatively inexpensive---food, friendly staff, etc., I really felt at home. I should also mention that they provide complementary Internet in the business center and complementary bottled water in the tooms. Very nice lodgings.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
innovativehotels, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our Hilton Garden Inn Abilene. We're glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we will be sure to share your comments with our team members so that they can see how much their efforts are appreciated. Thank you again and please come see us the next time you are in need of a Hotel in the Abilene area.
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Sizable room to move around. Very clean room and bathroom, and I'm a bit of a clean freak. Comfortable, quality bedding.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
innovativehotels, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, July 10, 2010
With a profile name like "picky_sleeper", I guess we better deliver during your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, TX. Feedback from our guests is shared with our Associates and it goes a long way in knowing that their efforts are noticed and appreciated. Again, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you will come back and see us on your next trip to Texas.
New York
Reviewed June 11, 2010

The check-in was friendly and easy. The room was very nice,big and clean. It had a fridge and micro, which was nice. The bed are extremely comfortable. You can adjust the firmness, a nice bonus. The hotel is close to shopping, resturants and the AFB. They offer free wireless internet in the rooms, and have cookies at the front desk. The breakfast buffet was $8.00 and totally worth it. The menu included made-to-order omlettes, make-your-own waffles, bacon, eggs, sausage, fruit, cold cereal etc. There is a pool and hot tub. Only one complaint: the doors to the rooms are extremely loud. We could hear doors up and down the hallway. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsS08
HGIAbilene, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, June 14, 2010
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We were glad to serve you, and we look forward to your next stay with us. Best regards, Cody Stites.
San Angelo, TX
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I'm a fan of Hilton properties, especially Hampton hotels - I've always found them to offer a good balance of environment and perks for a price I can afford (approx $100/night). The Garden Inn in Abilene looked equally promising online, and I must say that it is brand new and looks very nice throughout. My room was clean and had all the promised amenities; the adjustable beds were especially welcome.

The hotel grill has mediocre but palatable food for lunch and dinner, and a good breakfast offering. We had hamburger and chicken tender meals for dinner, which I'm fairly sure were constructed entirely of items purchased at SAMS or Costco and then heated. The food wasn't bad but not, to me, worth the $8/meal we paid; I'm glad I didn't get one of the more expensive items. I suggest going elsewhere to eat lunch or dinner if you have the energy and time. Breakfast, which you have to pay for ($8/person), was pretty good - you can have eggs cooked to order, plus there are all the other items typically offered for breakfast at Hilton hotels.

The indoor pool area was a disaster after a family reunion group used it the night before (we went around 8 am). All the towels had been used and left strewn all over the pool deck and in the restroom, as well as discarded drink containers. The water treatment was odd - instead of smelling/tasting like chlorine, it tasted like salt water. Otherwise, the pool was great.

As far as I could tell, the hotel has no soundproofing whatsoever, which partially led to this being my worst Hilton experience. Sound insulation is often mediocre in hotels, and I expect to hear nearby doors opening and closing and anyone talking or yelling loudly near my door. I don't, however, expect to hear the cleaning staff vacuuming at 8pm, slamming doors at 8:30 pm, and yelling to one another down the hall until 10 pm. Around 9 I asked the cleaning personnel to keep their conversations down, since my 2 yr old was having trouble sleeping in a strange place to begin with. The response I got was yes, of course they would, so sorry, but they'd been called in to cover for some other person who left early and these weren't their usual rooms anyway. When the noise resumed 5 minutes later, I tried again, as politely as I could, and got the same response. At that point I called the front desk and explained to Guest Services the trouble I was having. The manager on shift assured me yes, sometimes they do clean late, but shouldn't be so noisy. I gave up and eventually got a few hours of sleep. The next morning on my way to breakfast I mentioned the previous night's problem to the new shift manager, who was shocked this had happened, assured me it was not normal at all, and comped our breakfast in apology. A kind gesture, but in light of the long drive ahead, I would've preferred the missed sleep.

Essentially, the hotel is new and shiny and under the right management probably a lovely place to stay. I hope others have better experiences there and mine was just a fluke - otherwise I can't recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
HGIAbilene, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
I apologize for the issues you shared with us. I will address each item with the appropriate person today, and a change will be made immediately. Exceeding your expectations is our only goal, and I'm sorry we did not do that for your stay. I hope you will give us another try in the future, as I know we can do better. Thank you for being a loyal Hilton Worldwide traveler.
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Myself and three others booked 4 rooms for two nights at this hotel. We did so because of some wonderful rates that they posted online. However the day before our arrival the informed us that they had put the wrong rate on the internet and would not honor our booking! We had rooms reserved and confirmation numbers and everything yet they still said no. They then informed us we could still stay there if we paid them over a thousand dollars more than we booked the rooms for! No discounts we offered, no real apologies, they didnt even really own up to the mistake being theirs in the first place. It is sad. I have almost exclusively booked Hilton Garden Inns over the past two years and now I think I will never stay at one again.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
HGIAbilene, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
I apologize for any miscommunication about your reservations. There was an error somewhere, as we do not sell our rooms for $20. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused, and I hope you will give us another try in the future. Best regards sir.
sunnytraveler2
Reviewed April 12, 2010

What an excellent hotel! Quiet and comfortable beds. One or the other is usually missing but not at this hotel. To pile on....the food was fresh and cooked to order. The quality of the food was high along with the care to include tasty condiments like veggies in the omelette. Crusty waitresses to boot.
Check-in handled expertly by a skilled multi-tasker who was Texas friendly and courtieous.
Could not be any cleaner and this hotel is popular with a turn around and a seeming steady blocked rooms trade.
I travel too much and am tired of the lousy hotel rooms with thin walls,sticky nasty bathroom floors, and door slamming by the inconsiderate at 2:00am. The hotel management and the investor/builders have tried to minimize these common discomforts.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sunnytraveler2
HGIAbilene, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We are glad to serve you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Best regards!