“Threatened by bartender, noisy floors.”

Hilton Garden Inn Abilene
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Nashville, TN
“Threatened by bartender, noisy floors.”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently stayed here for a 7 night stay for work. I originally was put on the 2nd floor (this is a 4 floor hotel). What I found is that this hotel has quite poor sound insulation in the floor/ceilings, because I could hear each and every step that was being taken above me. That in itself won't cause a negative review, as I've lived in cheap apartments like that before. However, when I'm woken up at 2:30AM and 5AM due to thumping on the floor above me, that's when it becomes an issue. Because of this, I was moved to the top floor after 2 nights. Consider that my tip to you if you stay here: REQUEST TOP FLOOR.

Anyhow, I spent a night at the bar a few nights in and several members of our party witnessed a bartender being aggressive, rude and offering the worst service I believe I've ever seen in any hotel period, NOT just a Hilton. A couple of us complained to the front desk about it. The bartender actually came over to the front desk and engaged in a verbal altercation with us while we were talking to the front desk representative.

After a few minutes, I went back to the bar area to talk to a friend who was still over there. The bartender, who was trying to impress two girls the entire night, said to us....and I quote:

"Just in case you're wondering, my shift ends in 15 minutes so that's when I'll be outside."

Obviously a thinly veiled attempt to let him know when I could meet him outside. Keep in mind this is at a HILTON property. This isn't a cheap hotel. This isn't a dive bar. This is a Hilton hotel and we just got threatened by the bartender.

Clearly we complained about that. In fact, *3* of us have complained about it because we all witnessed the very same behavior. And as of now, nothing has been done. How do I know?? The night before I checked out, he was spotted at the hotel. So despite the fact he made an aggressive comment to 3 guests, he is still welcome to work at the hotel. Unbelievable.

What's more, my friend (who is at the top level Hilton offers as far as points) made a complaint and couldn't get a straight answer from the manager about what, if anything, would be done.

If the manager wants to respond here that Ethan (the bartender in question) has been let go, I will retract these comments about nothing being done. I'm not holding my breath.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank NODAK1979
Justin B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I am sorry about your experience in our hotel bar. I can assure you that it is not standard at our hotel to encounter such customer service by any hotel staff. We strive to ensure our bartenders and other team members know how much we value your business. I can assure you we are handling this internally and the employee is being reprimanded. This is not acceptable and we have made it clear. I can also assure you that he has no access to any of your personal information as is not re-accessible from the interface that he uses so your information is safe.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and being specific so that we were able to fix the situation.

Justin Brumit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel is in a great location! Next to a lot of restaurants and places to shop. The pool is also nice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennyrmalloy
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
We are always glad to hear from our guests and are pleased our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Abilene met all your needs. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Thank you for your great review.
Houston
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Abilene for 3 nights. I always enjoy staying at Hilton Garden Inns and this one in Abilene was particularly nice. Our room was clean and fresh and we were lucky enough to get to stay in a room with a separate tub and shower in the roomy bathroom. The fitness center was very nice for this type of hotel and we also enjoyed the indoor jacuzzi to relax in one night. We ordered room service and found the ribeye steaks to be quite nice and the burgers were delicious. Breakfast was also quite good. Our bed was very comfortable and it was nice having the mini fridge to keep drinks and water bottles in. The a/c unit worked very well so we were quite comfortable. The room was also quite spacious. The hotel is well located near the mall. All in all it was a very nice place to stay and we will stay there again!

Room Tip: If you can get a room with the separate tub/shower combo you will have a nice large bathroom. The d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
 Your complimentary review of our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Abilene is much appreciated! Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon.
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days shortly after a very long heat wave had ended. Each night however the air conditioner made loud and obnoxious noises - I had to smother it with the blanket off the second bed. This was not addressed at any point during my stay, nor was I offered a different room. The bed as alright but the pillows not very good. Keep in mind that they have both firm and soft pillows in the room - they put some of each kind on each bed.

The cookies at the front desk were great, as was the free breakfast each morning. So many options! The restaurant was quite nice and the staff very helpful, even checking if I wanted anything else before they shut down for the evening (I was in the middle of dinner at 10pm, they were quite happy to get my dessert still). I could imagine other places simply closing for the evening and not offering to serve you past that time - the fact that they checked with me was very appreciated.

There are several options for food nearby and the staff was quite helpful offering suggestions and directions, even offering to call to get a pizza delivered late at night.

The hot-tub was good and the hotel was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for your nice review of the Hilton Garden Inn Abilene and thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being service professionals and hope to see you again when travel plans permit.
ABILENE
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights on business. The breakfast was delicious, fresh, and the service was absolutely wonderful. The room was clean and the bedspread was not the typical yuck that you are afraid to touch; it was a clean white spread that was inviting. The housekeeping staff were even friendly and personal while professional.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your nice review of our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Abilene. It was nice to hear so many nice things. We hope to see you again on your next visit.
Belton, Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn three nights, on a business trip. The first room on the third floor I was assigned was noisy - people moving around upstairs was clearly audible; a call to the front desk quickly resolved this problem - I was moved to the top floor as requested. The bathroom sink did not drain well and there were few tv channels to choose from if you were not a sports buff. The bed was comfortable and the restaurant was convenient for breakfast. Overall, though, I expected more from a Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Abilene, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
We are glad to hear the front desk quickly resolved your noise problem. The sink and the drain issue will be looked into af our next meeting. We would like to thank you for your review.
houston texas
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I recently took my family to Abilene, Texas and our two night stay at this hotel was great. When you walk in, its obvious that this is a nice place and to have it in Abilene makes my reservation choices so much easier. The rooms are large and well kept. I must admit that I used some honors points to reserve this room and I didn't know what to expect from a free two night Hilton. I was not disappointed. I would like to mention a small incident. When my family returned to our hotel after lunch, I noticed that the cleaning staff had moved my bags around the room and it appeared that someone looked through them. This could just be me. Nothing was missing, as far as we could tell, and when I contacted the manager he stated that this is not a usual practice, when cleaning the rooms. He was very polite and understanding. It may have been my mistake but I am careful of personal property when staying in a hotel. We ate at several restaurants in the area but did not eat at the hotel restaurant. It looked professionally kept but I cannot rate it.

• Stayed March 2012
We are glad to hear the manager stated it is not our policy to move bags and that there was nothing missing. Thank you for your review and knowing "you were not disappointed" is nice to hear. We look forward to seeing you again.