“Helpful, friendly staff and nicely appointed rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Athens
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel for a week with my disabled mother.
Staff: helpful and accommodating. They worked overtime trying to help my mother with her needs related to her disability. When they were briefly unable to find a component to make the pool chair lift work, they gave us a free nights stay. The lady who was serving breakfast helped my mother get breakfast. Very sweet. Everyone was very friendly.
Accommodations: Nicely appointed rooms, which were better than some of the standard (non-Express) Holiday Inn's we have stayed in lately. The rooms are spacious, and the furnishings all appear new. The disabled room with the roll in shower was well done. Unlike some of the hotels we have stayed at, the shower entrance had a small lip on the floor to keep the water from spilling over into the rest of the bathroom. My main suggestion would be to have an accessible room with two double beds so someone else could also stay in the room if needed. Sometimes a disabled person needs someone (who is not a spouse) to stay with them. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub.
I rated this hotel as 4 of 5, because Holiday Inn Express is generally a 3 star hotel. I felt it was better than 3 star with their quality of service and accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Melissa C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

We greatly appreciate your review and wonderful comments. We strive very hard to accommodate our guests and deliver the ultimate guest experience. It was a pleasure of ours to serve you and your family during your time in Athens, TN.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Athens

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I travel to Athens about 4 times a year on business; this is probably the best hotel in town, but don't get too excited. It is clean, right off I-75 and Ruby Tuesday is right across the street. But lately the rates have increased, and these are times of minimal inflation. The hotel is tired, and increasingly appears to be a favorite for construction crews from out of town. It is common to hear folks hang out at night in the parking lot to smoke and chat, and get loud sometimes. I prefer a more quiet hotel, and if rates are being raised, I would expect something in return, e.g., new carpet, renovations and the like. Don't see those things happening.

So after the last rate increase, I'm now staying at Embassy Suites on the east side of Chattanooga. I just have to get up an hour earlier to attend to business in Athens. The rates are much higher, but the quality is much higher. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay in Chattanooga.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Charles H
Hiexpress A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for your review & your business. I do apologize for the unsatisfactory stay during your last visit & that you feel the appearance of the hotel is less than your expectations. We are currently in process of renovation and carpet and wall vinyl are due within the next month. We strive very hard to accommodate all guests & hope that you allow us the opportunity to better serve during your next travels.

Warm Regards,

Melissa C.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I had driven for 14 hours from Florida on my way home to Cincinnati and I couldn't drive any further. So lucky for me there was a Holiday Inn Express in Athens, very convenient, right off the expressway. It was past Midnight but they were happy to see me and found me a perfect room with a King Bed.

I wasn't there long, just a quick overnight but the room was clean, the bed was warm. I slept soundly and woke ready to resume my trip.

The people working at the Hotel couldn't have been more accommodating. I felt very welcomed, even though it was without a reservation!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Donald M
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Only a one day visit but a nice experience :

Pros :

Nicely renovated, new feel.
Clean comfortable rooms with modern updated furniture + tv.
Quick access to Highway 75.
Nice breakfast area,

Overall this was a very nice hotel. I think in some ways that is a problem as this is the benchmark so far for me as on my last trip I stayed in 3 different Holiday Inn Express's. This one takes the prize. It's the reason I stayed with the chain in my next two locations and the reason i was not as impressed with at least one of those places.

This is a great stopover place for a nice restful sleep on a long highway 75 journey.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul Z
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Nice room-big and clean-well appointed. Microwave didn't want to work- maybe us. Soft sheets compared to others on this trip.Spa and pool were enjoyed on cold evening. No apparent deals offered but not bargain hunting. Got our money's worth.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Traveling through Tennessee we missed our Clevland exit and I'm glad we did. Stopped at the Holiday Inn Express right off the interstate in Athens TN . Checked right into a very clean spacious room. Friendly staff and free hot breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bridget D
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We needed a late night stop and have had good success with this brand. I called ahead by 20 minutes and the desk clerk found us a room. Yea! It was almost 1 AM. For our short night sat I would have expected a discount but forgot to ask. I had 2 problems with our room. First, it was dirty. Under the toilet seat was disgusting! AND it looked like somebody dumped something or threw up in the sink! GROSS!
The 2nd issue was the beds. Pretty hard and not what you would expect from this brand. I guess they haven't updated this hotel yet.
Finally, the staff needs a lesson in courtesy. While they were getting their work done they interfered with guest movement without an excuse me or courtesy of allowing the guest to go first. For the price I would try a different hotel in the area. But, I it's late it works fine!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank epcotitis
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear epcotitis,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the room conditions that did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our facilities continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Guest Inn
Guest Inn
#5 of 7 in Sweetwater
Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Northwest

Been to Holiday Inn Express Athens? Share your experiences!