“The food is the star here :-)”
Review of Athens Diner - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Athens Diner
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I am in the Athens area frequently, I usualy stick to the more well known outlets in the area, today I decided to give this place a try. The atmoshere was ok, the folks that greeted us quite friendly, and the place was not very crowded for a Sunday at noon. the menu was pretty well laid out and had a number of interesting choices. I went with the Reuban and the wife went with the Philly. It took awhile for the food to come out and a the order weasn't exactly right (asked for baked potatoe and it was omitted but quickly corrected). However the food was the real star. Both sandwiches were great tasting and hot upon arrival. The fries were very good (not greasy or too salty) and the presntation was fine. The prices were reasonable as well. So if you can look past the atmosphere and get by with ok service the food will make the trip a great experience. One trip does not a winner make but I will give it another go on my next trip up !!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Truth be told, I have not eaten at this establishment in over a year! I am in the community often, and hear sad, believable stories about the cleanliness, food served and quite frankly, the local TEA Party who regularly has meetings here. That alone is enough to drive me in opposite directions!

3  Thank JuJuTN
Reviewed July 1, 2012

First of all this is a nasty , dirty place. The service is a joke, we ordered a bacon cheeseburger and waited over half an hour for this crappy thing. I'll starve before I go back!

1  Thank spiderweb2011
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stopped here after seeing the sign on the I-75 Exit. We like to stop at family run eateries and we're usually not disappointed. This was no exception! When you open the menu, you are stunned by the low prices on just about everything. The service was fast and friendly, the food tasty, and the pocketbook smiling as we left. If you're in the neighborhood, speeding by on I-75 in Athens, and hungry, stop in. It's 2 miles off the exit but worth the small detour. Most lunch items were $5, with about a dozen or more specials on the board.

1  Thank titiger
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I were traveling home to Mississippi from Virginia and wanted to stop for a burger and a milkshake. When we saw the sign for the diner, we thought it sounded like a great place to get what we were craving.

We were wrong.

While the prices were very good, the menu, food and decor was anything but. The restaurant looked like an elderly persons yard sale with random knick knacks here and there, plastic dated flowers covered in dust, and carpet that was so nasty that my shoes stuck to it while waiting in line to pay.

The food was at most average and that's being very nice. My cheeseburger didn't have much flavor and I'm pretty sure I could've gotten a better burger at a fast food joint. My husband ordered the baby back ribs and said the only good thing about it was the sauce(in which I'm sure was bought in a bottle at a grocery store). Throughout our lunch, I kept telling myself, the milkshake will be worth it. When I ordered the milkshake I was told "I'm sorry, we don't have I've cream".(at a 50s diner?!) Of course.

Needless to say, if I'm in the area ever again, I'll eat at the gas station before I consider eating there again.

2  Thank TheMrs.Jones