“always good”

Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Arlington
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

casual dining...good steaks... can bring your own wine... and i love the homemade keylime pie! if you like to drink out of a mason jar... eat fried green tomatoes and a great filet...go to vinegar jims... expect to wait ... and it is always crowded and noisy... so don't expect a romantic evening...just some good food.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you are looking for a restaurant that serves great homemade food in a cozy and casual atmosphere, this is the restaurant for you. They have everything from catfish to steak (both excellent), homemade fried pies, and great vegetables to choose from. I usually get one of the shrimp dishes and it is always excellent. Steak, I would say is average. But the service I have had has always been very good. Everybody in my family likes to go, so it is usually difficult to find a big table without a wait, but that's the sign of a good restaurant, in my opinion.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We've been diners at VJ's for many years. The last two times at VJ's i noticed that the service was lacking. The menu has changed and some new items have been placed There in. The steaks they are serving now are not prime and I doubt they are even choice. As another diner noted, don't bother bringing wine with you as they have no idea how to open a bottle of wine properly or how to serve it. The noise level in VJ's is so loud I could not have a decent conversation with my wife.
I remember the good ol days at VJ's when the steaks were excellent and so was the service. I didn't see that there last time. What a shame.

1  Thank Tnearl
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I ate here about 3 years ago & checked out reviews on this & other sites to see how it's been recently. They've been all over the scale, but we had a gift card, so we went with it. I saw a review that said the children's grilled cheese were on heels of bread - not so, it's an artisan bread. But most kids prefer good ol' white bread. The two kids at our table pulled the cheese off and left the bread alone.

Fried green tomatoes were good but could have been better if they'd been drained on paper towels. Fried catfish and cedar plank salmon were very good. I had a top sirloin steak, medium rare as ordered, which started off delicious but then I got into gristle. Baked potato was fine, but the house made slaw was too juicy for my taste.

The salmon was late arriving after the rest of us had been served, so they offered us fried pies "on the house". We had peach and apple and ice cream was available with them. Awesome! Almost as good as my aunt's!

I did see the hostess bring wine glasses to a couple who brought their own wine, so they are paying attention to these reviews! We did get a reservation, and there were folks waiting for tables when we left.

1  Thank Andromeda709
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Interesting building and nice people. Their vegetables and catfish are good. The steak I had was not the 8 ounces claimed and not that good. Do not bring your wine to this "bring your own" restaurant as they have no wine glasses and will hand you fruit jars for wine service. No ice cream for their "famous" fried pies, not even any milk. Lots of children running around to add to the background noise. Crowded tables. Cracker Barrel is vastly better.

1  Thank TennesseeM