“Best pulled pork I've ever had!”
Review of Bread of Heaven - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bread of Heaven
Reviewed August 2, 2013

For a couple of years I had heard wonderful things about the pulled pork here, but I never made it to the restaurant. When the owner started parking his food truck at the Big Lots in Alcoa, I finally stopped and bought a couple of pounds. This is absolutely the best BBQ pulled pork I have ever had! What I love best about it is there are no big chucks of fat in it. It is all pulled perfectly and is very moist.

I needed to get some for a birthday party one time, so I sent my husband out to go get it. He called me to let me know that they were not at the usual location on that particular day (sometimes it is parked at a different store on the other side of town). I told him to go down the street to another BBQ business and pick some up. I figured there couldn't be THAT much of a difference. I was so wrong! About 25% of it was huge chucks of fat or hard pieces that weren't edible, and it wasn't nearly as moist. Never again will I waste my money at those other places.

I usually buy 2 pounds for my family of four. We can eat on it for two days. Even my 13-year-old daughter who is picky about meat eats it. Every time we drive by the truck and smell it she asks if we can stop.

On those days I'm out-and-about running errands and dreading cooking supper, I stop here for a quick solution. I think the owner made a wonderful decision when he decided to start using the food truck. I hope he continues to do so in the future.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Cold, half-cooked, and the ultimate in greasy doesn't even begin to describe the food. Never again will I darken their door.

1  Thank sbtaylor2002
Reviewed February 3, 2013

If you looked up southern comfort food in the dictionary, there would be a picture of this buffet. The slow smoked pulled pork was the best I've had. You need to get over yourself if you're looking for fancy as you won't find it here. You will, however find incredible home-cooked dishes and smiling faces. This is the type of food that gives you a warm hug inside. The price is right as well and it's all you can eat.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you want some good country food at a reasonable price and a lot of it - this is your place.

Ok - I think this place has the best greens ever, I mean like in the history of food they serve the best greens!

The staff are friendly and treat you like a friend, not just a customer.

It is like being at a family reunion cookout/dinner - nothing fancy - just feels comfortable.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Seat yourself, family style seating and table sharing if you have empty seats. Very friendly workers and patrons. Clean up after yourself - be courteous, reasonably clean - older, but not 'dirty' as some reviews indicated.

All in all solid local fare near the airport and local hotels.

Pros:
-Charcoal Grilled Meats using grills out on the front lawn with a little mesquite wood.
-Food turns over fast, no time to sit under lights too long.
-Good tea, self serve soda
-Very reasonably priced for a Buffet.

Cons:
Some meats overcooked / too charred for our tastes,
Some items seems canned or cooked 'soft' (personal preference)

Variety of meats:
-Chicken thighs grilled
-Chicken legs grilled and sauced,
-Processed/frozen turkey breast grilled
-Grilled sausages
-Grilled pulled pork
-Fried Chicken wing 'rounds'

Veggies:
-Green beans seasoned with pork (Cooked soft Southern style)
-Greens seasoned with pork (Southern style)

Starches:
-Kernel corn
-Sweet potato patties in syrup
-Fries (hand cut?)
-Baked beans
-white and corn breads
-Mac and Cheese sauce
-Dressing with gravy

Desserts:
-Peach cobbler (canned fruit?)
-Chilled Banana pudding and vanilla wafers