“Good experience”

Courtyard Knoxville Airport Alcoa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel is located across the street from the Tyson-McGhee Airport, some distance from Knoxville. It is somewhat difficult to find as there are other buildings between it and the street. The lobby area was spacious and clean. The room was comfortable for three people. The pillows are terrible. The staff was helpful and friendly. The indoor pool area is small and not enough seats. The hot tub/jacuzzi is outside with privacy fencing around it. The exercise room has two treadmills, one elliptical and weights in a very small space. Our first morning, we ate breakfast at the Bistro, the hotel's restaurant. We thought that it would be faster, as we were in a hurry. We found that there was one person working there, she was too busy taking orders to begin cooking. We were afraid we would be delayed when we saw the person at the front desk calling to get her some help. Our breakfast ended up coming quicker than we thought and was cooked wonderfully. The only other morning we ate there was close to closing time. Jeremy was by himself. He was still able to get our orders out to us quickly and without errors. It was a pleasant overall experience.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor facing the airport. We only heard the planes one time, and it was not ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 13, 2014

...you'd expect a newer Courtyard to be spiffy instead of scrimpy. This property is superficially clean and everything doesn't work as it should. The staff is friendly and tries to do the best it can but the management and ownership in all likelihood frustrates that. A lot of cut corners in what should be one of the nicest and best Courtyards.

My room was superficially clean -- you'd never see the problems in a photograph -- but there was dust caked on the lamps. Internet was a little spotty at times and you need a password to get in. Lobby is decent but the lobby computers are not quite state of the art, so to speak. The linens could have been fresher -- ditto for the room -- and the sofa was showing a little wear. What was quite disturbing is that on the second day of my three-day stay I informed the desk of a malfunctioning door lock that was never fixed. Only one washer and dryer in the laundry room. A lot of corners cut here and it's sad because it doesn't have to be like this with a more concerted effort by the people in charge to do more than just enough to squeak by. If this was a Super 8 it would be one of the nicest ones in the country but it isn't. It's a Courtyard and should be up to Courtyard standards. This falls a little short -- hence the two star rating which really should be 2.5 stars.

3  Thank 6530bx4
tlunsford, Director of Sales at Courtyard Knoxville Airport Alcoa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for the Courtyard by Marriott, Knoxville Airport. I was very disappointed when I read about the concerns you had on your last visit. We have discussed all of these concerns and are making the appropriate adjustments to insure that our guests have the best stay possible. I will also be reviewing the room you last stayed in to see what improvements we can make for our next potential guests and gather ideas on what we can do to make our guests stay more comfortable. If you have any additional suggestions please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly to have a conversation on what I could do to make the Courtyard by Marriott even better.

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

This courtyard has a phenomenal outside courtyard for smoking cigars. I enjoyed early coffee and cigar both mornings. The maintenance staff helped me wash bugs off my car with cleaner at the car wash area that had a hose and towels. I had a minor issue and the head engineer said he would talk to GM. There was complimentary coffee all am. This property had updated lobby and bistro which had very ice servers. The housekeepers were great. They gave me extra soaps and shampoos so I have to hand out to homeless people.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Richard P
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Clean room and friendly cleaning staff, especially Millie.

However, they did not recognize their gold and platinum members guaranteed benefit of complementary breakfast. Will not be returning because of this.

Room Tip: Gold and Platinum members look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank nate w

I appreciate your feedback on your most recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. I was very glad to hear that the room you stayed in was very clean and the cleaning staff was very friendly. I was also especially glad Millie, whom is one of our long time employees, took very good care of you. We understand the importance of a friendly staff and great service. However, I was disappointed to hear that we did not recognize that you as a gold or platinum member. Although breakfast is not complimentary as it is with the full service Marriott Hotels we would love to treat you and your family to an amazing breakfast in our all new Bistro on your next visit to our area. We value our gold and platinum members and would love the opportunity to apologize in person. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we can make our future guests stay as perfect as we can. Please contact me if you will be in Knoxville area soon and again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

A little over two years old, the Courtyard is tucked away off of the busy Alcoa Hwy, which means it is quieter than those closer to the highway itself - and the closest (other than the Hilton which on the airport property). Very nice accommodations and super friendly staff... however, there are two caveats, one of which is understandable and the other not so much. When I arrive in TYS, it is usually late (even when they are on time) - usually around 11:30 or so at night - the shuttle runs until 11 pm which is OK since it a very short cab ride. I understand their logic and the economies involved so no real issue here. What I don't understand is how a supposedly smart architect could design a nice overall building and then put the HVAC units on top of the roof - we're talking multi-ton units that cool/heat the main lobby, etc. (rooms have individual units). The problem arises for those whose rooms are literally under the HVAC units - sounds like a freight train most of the night. So if you decide to stay there, which I very much recommend, avoid the top floor (third floor) - especially rooms in the middle portion of the third floor - usually even numbered rooms starting with 310 and running through 328 or so. To their credit, the staff is very accommodating and found another room on a different floor far from the noise... Otherwise, you have found a real gem.

Room Tip: See above comments - avoid the third floor altogether unless you are able to sleep through a lot of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a great choice if you need to stay by the airport. The Hilton and Courtyard are the two I always use. I have tried just about every hotel in the area with the exception of the Hampton Inn. The Courtyard has a shuttle to the airport. There are restaurants in walking distance. The hotel has a bar as well. The rooms are great. Very clean and well appointed. I did not notice any plane noise even though it is across the highway from the airport. I have stayed here several times and I am pretty picky when it comes to hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side of the hotel (facing away from the airport) to minimize noise.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

A long week of business meetings in the area concluded here at the courtyard near the TYS airport. The hotel shuttle driver was at the airport immediately after my call and was friendly and helpful. My room was perfectly clean and temperature perfect. i came down to print boarding passes and was having some trouble, so the front desk took care of it for me and brought my boarding pass to me in the lounge area. Kathy and Jeremy were very friendly and kind; i was buried in paperwork still and they came out to refresh my beverage- wonderful!! thank you!!! I will stay here again the next time my travels bring me to the knoxville area!

Room Tip: airport is literally across the street, so save money with a rental by dropping it off the night pri...