“Looks like an old time diner”

Hot Rods 50's Diner
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Alcoa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very cool inside. Booths are comfortable and not crowded together. Food is very good, excellent menu, and just like you went back in time. Very clean!

2  Thank SuzanB76
There are newer reviews for Hot Rods 50's Diner

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had been warned by other family members and friends that this place would try and charge you for items you did not receive but I got it first hand this morning! I ordered the ONE TIME blue plate. I did not wish to refill my plate again. After I got to the buffet I was glad I made that choice! Eggs were nothing but rubber...seriously, no exaggeration, these eggs appeared and tasted like they had been prepared at least an hour before! EVERYTHING was cold except the gravy and it was lukewarm with grease floating all on top. The bacon was good and the sausage links were good, however, as I said, they were cold. The waitress kept coming back to our table and asking, "Are you having the blue plate" Well DUH....thats what we ordered AND the plate we were eating out of was BLUE. She did this on several occasions and then she kept trying to pick the plates up while we were still eating! My plate had bacon, french toast, and a sausage link on it. She repeated this at least 2 more times until finally I told her to just take it. My daughter took our tickets and our money up and paid for our meals while I was in the bathroom. When I came out and started out the door she very loudly said, "You need to pay your bill" I told her my daughter had paid and she began arguing with me in front of a room full of customers. As it turned out, my daughter had given her both tickets and a $20 bill and she only took out for one of them. They also charged my nephew for a drink when he took a sip of his girlfriends soda as they were leaving!!!!!! This is a GREASY dive~

1  Thank Jackieannbrisson
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We found this place through a Groupon. What a great find. The location was a bit hard to find, but when we called, we were given very detailed directions that allowed us to find it easily. The decor is fun with lots of humorous signs, 50's posters, etc. One of the owner's, Ashley, spent quite a bit of time with us suggesting various menu items and explaining their preparation process. Her husband is the main cook. I had the open faced beef sandwich . It was very lean and tasty. It was covered with a rich, warm gravy. The mashed potatoes were made from scratch and were equally delicious. My friend and I both ordered dessert...she had the made from scratch banana pudding (with banana slices and Nilla Wafers), while I had a small hot fudge sundae. Both were excellent. Any special requests were made cheerfully and everything was served exactly as ordered. My only complaint was that the desserts seemed to take a long time to arrive but otherwise the service was fairly quick. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food greatly. My friend called this "the find of our trip." We would definitely return if ever in the Knoxville airport area again! The location was a bit hard to find, but when we called, we were given very detailed directions that allowed us to find it easily.

2  Thank CaGirl24
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I were wanting to try a different, non-chain restaurant in the Maryville/Alcos TN area. Wife assigned me to the task and after a couple hours I found Hot Rods 50's Diner. Downloaded the .pdf menu from their web site and was blown away by how many menu items they had, and the all sounded wonderful. Not a large place but the parked near the front door, walked in and were immediately seated. Decor is fabulous! Found my self swinging my head to and for the entire time looking at all of the cool 50's stuff they have. Waitress was Johnny on the spot and very friendly. Needless to say, I could have chosen 3/4 of the menu to eat, but my ham/turkey/roast beef and bacon club was perfect. Just like I had when I was a kid going to diners in downtown Knoxville with my dad. Best thing about my club? I was not asked if I wanted white or wheat bread,,,old school clubs come one way, toasted white bread! Would have loved to have dessert but was too full. Very clean, very well ran. Cudos!

2  Thank Michael K
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have never had anything at this place that was not excellent, but I must admit the breakfast bar is by far the BEST they have to offer! Down-Home style breakfast at less than $6 for All-You-Can-Eat is just unheard of! I can go on and on about this place, but instead I will just say it is my favorite place in East Tennessee to eat. Go see for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

If I had to say one negative thing it would be only this: The booths are a bit cramped. Ask for a table to have a more comfortable area for elbow and leg room. Outside seating provides the best experience on a nice day!

2  Thank EP3iVTEC