“Great place for long stay...”

Candlewood Suites Knoxville Airport-Alcoa
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have stayed here twice now, this time I was with three other coworkers. Our rooms were clean and well appointed. My room was very quiet even though it was next to the elevator. Staff is friendly, attentive and very helpful. Their bed are ultra comfortable. The wireless worked well, which is often not the case at other places we've stayed. I like the kitchen in the room and complimentary guest laundry...
I was praised by my coworkers for finding such a nice place. We will definitely stay here again..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is not a fancy place, but it has everything you need and it is very clean. Everything worked, including the little kitchen, the full size refrigerator, the WiFi internet (with a cable option!),I had a wonderful experience and I would definitely recommend this hotel especially if you expect to spend time in Alcoa.

Room Tip: Great Mountain view from third floor back side of the hotel.room 326.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had to move out of our house because of smoke damage and this was one of 2 hotels close to the house that was pet friendly. I called both and made the decision based on my phone conversations with the front desk.

My husband, 2 dogs (not small dogs) and I moved into a double room which is all the insurance would pay for. Shortly after moving in I became ill and was keeping my husband awake. I talked with the manager and he worked to set a price for adjoining rooms that the insurance company would accept.

This hotel has made our little disaster a whole lot easier, much less stressful, and much more restful than it could have been. Without their willingness to work with us it could have been an incredibly miserable couple of weeks.

For the price the rooms are great with a full kitchen. The staff has been helpful and friendly and the manager, Doug, has been very willing to work with us. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of construction types with heavy boots. Stay on upper floor if you can.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The standard single was much roomier than I"m used to. Bathroom especially, you can take a shower with door open and it doesn't hit you in the back when you step out of it. Also very clean and quiet. The pillows were awesome and could get a good work out on the weight machine in the work-out center.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I recently stayed there for a week. Imagine my surprise when I went and checked out that my rate was changed and I was paying more that what I had reserved the for and was told at check in. The room was ok, not up to IHG standards nd not the cleanest. Some of the staff tried to help but we actually saw the manager yelling and arguing with him. Not real professionsal.
Stay away until they get their act together.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lynn100
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was there on a quick 2 day business stop right before Thanksgiving. Was pleasantly surprised with this Hotel. Rooms were clean, bed was very comfortable, internet was great.
Overall was a good, comfortable stay and will surely stay there again. The staff were attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: I was in King bed room - room 205
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here 6 nights while awaiting my long-term lease availability. I'm surprised this place is still an ICH group property. It won't be for long. They just don't meet the Intercontinental standards.

Yes, they have updated fixtures, appliances and solid surface counter tops. But it stops there.

My first room was not clean. I couldn't hang my shower towel on the hook provided because the wall beneath was filthy. The once nice ceramic tile floor in the bathroom was growing mold. It's sad really, that they took such a nice property and let it go down hill so fast. They cater to blue collar workers, which is fine by me. But the workers are dirty after a hard day's work, and the staff here just don't wipe down the walls, utensils, etc., after each check out.

There was no water pressure, and it was luke warm at best.

I changed rooms mid-stay in hopes of something better. The second room had a king instead of a queen, but something had soured so badly in there that it was almost not inhabitable. The bathroom wall under the towel hook was just as filthy black as the previous room. They still have "bedspreads". In the second room I moved to, the bedspread was covered in cigarette burn holes! I called to have housekeeping replace it and it took hours. When they did, it was the pattern of the "other" side of the spread. Not sure if they just came in and flipped the spread over or what, but I threw it in the floor where it stayed.

As a platinum priority club member, I always receive so many more amenities at their properties. Not this one. They charged me $1.00 for a toothbrush! Everything there is very cheap. Even the toiletries, what few were provided. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner, as theirs is a single bottle of "shampoo and conditioner in one".

I think this place was bought out and the new owners have cheaped out.

The front staff spend all their time outside smoking. Literally. But at least they're friendly. When the "owner staff" come in to occasionally relieve the local staff at times, the "owner staff" were rude and not accommodating.

I would guess this hotel will soon be some name like Extend-O Suites or the like, because they do not deserve the Candlewood name. They simply don't hold up to the standards necessary.

It's a shame, really. The property is fairly new and was quite nice when developed. Now, the property is being ignored and everything good about it is being ruined by cheapskate owners who could care less about service and cleanliness.

It was a complete waste of my Priority Club reward points. The last night without points cost $90 with tax. What a joke.

I pricelined and got a Best Western for my last three nights for less than half the price. I've never been a big Best Western fan, but boy was I relieved at check-in there. It was like Park Place vs. Baltic Ave. I may have to switch to Choice Hotel rewards from my long-time priority club status after this stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo