“Great overnight in Knoxville Area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Knoxville Airport

Hilton Knoxville Airport
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Matthews, North Carolina
“Great overnight in Knoxville Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Got the chance to stay while on freshman orientation visit to Maryville College, just south of the airport. Hilton just rocks it. Everything was up to their standards. Check-in as a breeze, parking, free and easy access, room was comfortable (though I wish they could get two queen size beds instead of full size in the rooms), and the executive level if not upgraded, would be worth the exta $20 if you travel with more than 2 folks (two is probably a break even proposition). My son will be attending Maryville for the next 4 years, so see lots of stays here which makes trips easier.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Congratulations on your son attending Maryville College. I am sure he will enjoy his time there. I hope we can be your hotel of choice many times during the next 4 years!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Cosby, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We use this property every time we take a vacation out of our summer home in East Tennessee. I book the hotel for the night before our flight, even if we are not tight on time. For the price of the room you get free parking for the length of you trip. We have gone to Europe for six weeks and have not paid a cent for an otherwise high parking rate. The hotel is connected to the TYS terminal by a short walkway making access very easy.

The manager, Brian Cable, runs a tight ship and everything is up to Hilton Standard.

We did notice a little housekeeping problem this time, but Mr. Cable was on vacation so I am sure that will be corrected when he reads this review. There was toilet paper in the toilet, the ice bucket had not been emptied since the last guest and the hallways were in need of a better vacumn job.

We book the Executive Floor when we stay here which gets you access to the nightly cocktail party and breakfast the next morning. It is well worth the $20 up charge we sometimes have to pay.

The hotel has convention facilities, a nice indoor pool area and an in house restaurant called Cooper's that serves three meals a day. Room service is also available.

If you are flying out of TYS make sure you give the Hilton a try.

Room Tip: Ask for the 6th floor. Executive level.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard F
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thanks for staying with us again! I appreciate the business, and the feedback on your recent stay. I do want to apologize for the housekeeping issues during your stay. This is totally unacceptable to me, and I will take action to make sure if does not happen again. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport, and hope to have you as our guest again soon.
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I'm glad I read the reviews before visiting this hotel, as I truly expected it to be much worse than it is.

Most reviews are correct. This is an old distressed building housing a hotel that struggles to keep up.

The pros:
General day-to-day cleanliness for rooms
Walkable to TYS Knoxville Airport

Cons:
30 year old building
Needs a lot more maintenance (most hotels only budget 4% towards annual mx)
Hallways littered with trash during my visit
Spotty technology reliability

Visited here during a science fair, so all the good hotels in town were booked. Of course each was overloaded with tweens and teens that are still in need of parental hotel etiquette training..

Pulling into the parking lot you find that the hotel entrance is at the opposite side of the building. So finding the entrance can be tough if you're not walking from the terminal.

Front desk and lobby were decent but the building's exterior immediately struck me as old. The atrium looked worse. There's these old flags that are faded and worn hanging from the ceiling. They look like remnants from the 1982 World's Fair held in Knoxville.

The front desk staff were great about accommodating me with an early check-in.

The walk to the room was depressing to see all the leftovers from used room service trays to housekeeping garbage and dirty carpets and elevator cars.

My room's door had a sign that indicated whether or not it was occupied. That was alarming, and a dead give away to any thief.

Inside the room it was a little better. They had the newer Hilton linens, but the bed frame appeared really old and in need of replacement...especially looking at the torn bed skirt. The bathroom was small, but that's expected for a hotel this age. The frame for the mirror appeared beat up, there was a gouge in the tile and the shower had some major cracks in the wall due to previous curtain rod installations. My shower had excellent water pressure!

The room featured a decent HDTV, and I loved that they had a printed channel list, that went so far as to identify which channels were in HD. Sadly, the hotel's DirecTV service kept showing "No Signal" for HBO and ESPN. It wasn't cloudy or raining, but perfect weather conditions for DSS signals.

WiFi was available but it was not the standard Hilton AT&T WiFi. So you couldn't use your HHonors login. Instead the hotel issues a daily access code. I found their Internet speeds to be sluggish at best. Even at off peak times it felt throttled.

My friends complained of jet noise from their rooms on the *55 and *61 sides, but I had no complaints of noise.

The hotel had a great gift shop with an outstanding post card selection. It was even open at 6am one morning when I walked by.

The hotel went above and beyond to correct a problem my coworker had with a misplaced delivery. They even sent someone to hand deliver it to our job site.

The parking lot was closest to the pool entrance, it was well maintained and they give you a placard to place on your windshield, easy to forget though if you come back late at night.

Overall decent stay. Would I return? Doubtful. Loved the proximity to the airport, but for the money there's much better offerings. My project director put it best, this place is on the fast track to becoming rebranded as a Ramada or Clarion franchise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank IntegrityTravel
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. I do want to apologize for the wifi/tv issues and housekeeping hallway problems. These are unacceptable to me, and I will take action to make sure it does not happen again. Our goal is to always provide clean rooms, great friendly service, superior HDTV selection, and complimentary high speed internet to each and every guest! Thanks for your business, and I hope you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here simply because it was next to the airport and had an early flight the next morning. It's convenience outweighs the look and feel of the place. It's a very dated building that Hilton should seriously upgrade. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and bathroom adequate. However, the wallpaper was peeling in areas, lighting dim, and the overall look of the room was old. The executive lounge was more break room or snack room than lounge with only tables and chairs - no sofas or plush chairs to,sit in and relax. It's a small space so that's probably why.

I'd stay here again if I flew in late or was leaving early the next morning. However, I'd choose other hotels for any other reason.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the feedback, as it helps me to see what areas of the hotel operation need improvement. I want to apologize for the peeling wallpaper and dim lighting in the room. This is unacceptable and I will take action to correct immediately. Our Executive Lounge is newly renovated, and we choose not to put any sofas in it so that our seating capacity would be increased. And, we had comments from guests requesting this so it would be more comfortable for them to enjoy the complimentary breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. Thank you very much for your business, and I hope you stay with us again the next time you are in Knoxville.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

nice rooms - did not use the pool or spa - quiet floor - nice to have access to snacks etc Dining room meal was very good - great service and friendly staff

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you very much for the nice comments concerning the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will choose the Hilton Knoxville Airport again the next time you travel to Knoxville!
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton because it is, literally, steps away from the airport and we had a very early flight out. The hotel is tired and in real need of an update. The bed was good and the pillows plentiful. This is one of my standards for a good hotel. On the other hand, things are getting worn out. We were especially unhappy with the pool area. There was a strange smell and the hot tub water was cloudy. Not sure how often staff goes to that area but it needs attention.

While I valued the location, I would go somewhere else next time i am in the area.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Denver52
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us. I want to apologize for the condition of the swimming pool. This is unacceptable to me, and I will take action to make sure it is corrected and does not occur again. I appreciate your business, and hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you come to Knoxville!
Plesant Prairie, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

There are good and not so good things to report about this hotel. I've stayed here before and this visit was the worst time I've had here although the staff did try to make at least some of it better.

Before continuing, there is a baseline I use for all hotels and it's fairly simple: 1) Is it clean? 2) Does everything work as it should? Regardless of the price or fanciness we all as travelers have a right to expect a clean hotel where everything works as it should (and yes, I know light bulbs burn out and then the test is how efficiently repairs are made). Clean means many things, of course, and not just "spotless" but also is the envoronment (air, etc.) clean as well. Think of it this way. There's little reason a hotel should not be close to the same shape it was in the day it opened if maintenance is diligently performed. As for things working the way they should, this also includes design, ergonomics, etc. Times change and modifications are often needed to keep up. For example, this hotel does have a few handicapped parking spaces but if you're, say, elderly or infirm and not "officially" handicapped, it's a VERY long hike from a distant single parking lot with walking up stairs. They give a lot of excuses about this situation but it needs to be addressed, even if it means building a walkway underground, overground or whatever. No sane hotel designer today would design a place so poorly.

This is not to say this place is all gloom and doom or falling apart. There are bright spots and good intentions. For example, the front desk folks have always been friendly and pretty efficient (although there was a temporary backup until another desk attendant came back from her break).

This is a hotel from the 1960's or very early 1970's and the design shows this. The rooms are not terrible. Even the smallest is a decent size. Lighting could be a bit better. Beds are OK. The clock radio is modern and works. Phones at both the nightstand and desk. Desk is fairly large and has a couple of hard to find outlets on the side. The usual hotel room heater, of course, regulated by a thermostat out of the 1960's or 70's that needs updating. Room furnishings were in decent shape but fairly somewhat spartan for a Hilton (in fact, Hilton Garden Inns will have better furnishings, including a microwave and refrigerator which this place lacks). Food is available until at least until 11 p.m. which is to accomodate flight crews. The bathrooms have been remodeled. The shower pressure is fair, not spectacular. Towels are good. There was a problem with water temperature cooling down a little and then a momentary uptick -- not a blast -- of hot water (not as bad as an old truck stop shower, to be sure, but more modern places usually don't have this problem which is fairly slight, to be fair).

The room was a little dusty and didn't smell very fresh. There are no window to open for fresh air. There was an ice bucket with a plastic bag liner which was almost impossible to open. Flat screen TV, which was nice. Free WiFi was available but a little slow and the codes kept changing. (Given that this property isn't next to the road or anything except a runway and rental car maintenance bays there's no need for access codes. Time to chuck them.)

I experienced housekeeping and maintenance issues. The shower head was malfunction but it was replaced the same day I mentioned it, which is good. The carpet was frayed at the bathroom door (never good as it some hotels it could lead you to step on a carpet nail). The handle was falling off the closet door but was fixed at the same time as the shower head. (Again, things can break and these repairs were made but still the hotel has employees in these rooms daily so you have to wonder why the employees didn't see what needed to be fixed!) The bathroom sink worked just fine and the drain was not slow.

I left a two liter bottle of Diet Pepsi in my room. It was nowhere near a garbage can but it was tossed out by housekeeping. Same for the blade protective cover for my raxor. The night manager did get me a couple of cold cans of soda to make up for housekeeper's mistake but I did have to trudge down to the front desk at 11 p.m. and wait while I had a lot of things to get done before I could sleep.

This is a long review because I wanted to be fair. This isn't a place about which I would say "don't stay here." Nonetheless it needs more TLC and updating. Think of it this way. There's a newer Courtyard across the highway where things are usually clean, up to date and work as they should. Almost as much can be said for the neighboring Fairfield Inn (although it could use just a little TLC and maintenance as well). So, unless you get a good deal at the Hilton, why stay there? (Note: there are some hotel properties in this area which, well, you might as well sleep in your car and shower at a campground.) By no means is the Hilton bad but there are better alternatives nearby. If the Courtyard and the Hilton were priced the same, then I'd choose the Courtyard. It wouldn't take a lot to make this hotel more competitive but the owners have to make that commitment and then be unrelenting in sticking with it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 6530bx4
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the feedback, as it helps me to see what areas of the hotel operation need improvement. I want to sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced with maintenance and housekeeping. I assure you I will take action to make sure this does not happen again. The hotel opened in 1982, and has undergone major renovations, and we continue to monitor and update, having recently added new 37" HDTV's and guest room desk chairs. We strive for clean rooms, great food, and friendly service to each and every guest! I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Knoxville.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcoa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Knoxville Airport
Hilton Knoxville
Hilton Knoxville
#22 of 87 in Knoxville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,109 reviews

Been to Hilton Knoxville Airport? Share your experiences!