“Best in the airport area but watch room choice”

Hilton Knoxville Airport
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Here with a conference spread over a few hotels near the Knoxville airport, the Hilton appeared to be the best appointed. Meeting facilities are very good, and the meal catering was very flavorful and offered lots of variety. The room was spacious and well laid out with plenty of storage for the week's stay. The bed as comfortable, supplied toiletries of good quality. There are plenty of plugs, but I needed to unplug a couple of lamps to charge my phone, tablet, laptop and spare battery.

Be careful with room choice, though. The room numbers ending in 31 through 53 are on the back and overlook the dumpster and the loading dock. During my stay, it was pretty noisy back there in the predawn hours. This is the side facing the economy parking lot which is no problem unless a car alarm goes off (and one did). Also, depending on weather conditions, if planes are taking off to the northeast, the jets exhaust toward the back of the hotel and it can be quite loud. However, this is not a busy airport and planes normally landed in the other direction and were not noticeable.

The hotel itself is close enough to the airport that it's an easy walking good weather. It's actually a bit closer than the economy airport parking lot, though there also is a hotel shuttle available. The hotel has both free parking and free internet, which can save quite a bit.

The lobby is an atrium style and rises the full 6 stories of the building. The center focus is a bar area elevate above the surrounding floor. Very nice looking area with decent food and drinks at good prices. Again, though, the layout of the rooms can make this an issue.

For most of each floor, there are interior rooms with views out to the lobby, as well as exterior rooms. At the front and back, there are no interior rooms. This means noise from the elevated bar penetrated into those rooms. Again, not a problem unless there is a loud party at the bar. For quieter dining, there is a restaurant separate form the bar.

The pool area is indoors and nicely decorated, but the pool itself is kind of a "creek design" meant more for soaking than swimming. The most you can swim is a straight line is about ten feet. The fitness center has a couple of cable machines, free weights, benches, treadmills, an elliptical and bike. There are exercise balls of various kinds as well. If you like to run, the surrounding area is flat with lightly traveled roads, but no sidewalks. You have to be inventive to find a long run, but there are nice neighborhoods nearby, so 5-6 miles is workable.

Room Tip: See the main review. Stay away from room numbers ending in 31 through 53. There are two elevators...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 94Q45T
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Thank you for your nice comments concerning the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I really appreciate the feedback. I do want to apologize for the noise you experienced from outside of your room. I will investigate this and take action to reduce the noise level from that section of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. I did want to point out that there is a greenbelt walkway that runs for 8 miles thru some very scenic portions of the local cities of Alcoa and Maryville...this is great for walking or running, and our hotel shuttle can take you to it (only about 3/4 of a mile from hotel). Thank you very much for your business, and I hope you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville!

Reviewed February 25, 2012

I was moved to this hotel from a 'suite' hotel that had too many stink bugs for my comfort. I found the hotel clean, comfortable and stink-bug free. The room was elegant. The beds were comfortable with nice clean, new bedding. The room I stayed in was very quiet as far as I did not hear any planes from the airport. i could clearly hear my neighbors talking in the next room though, when sitting at the desk. I am not sure why that was, or how such a thing could be fixed if it is due to thin walls or sound coming through the heating system.
The parking was convenient. Like others have mentioned, the Alcoa Highway is formidable but I found drivers in TN very tolerant and considerate about letting people on the highway.
All in all, it was a great stay and I would stay at the Airport Hilton in Knoxville again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! I appreciate your business, and hope you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

After rather harrowing travel delays, this was a bright spot in our trip. The hotel is literally walking distance from the airport, with a free shuttle to surrounding stores/attractions (grocery, target, etc).

Upon arrival, the staff could not have been better! Even with me having a cranky two-year-old in tow, they were speedy, helped me up to our room with bags and made sure we had everything we needed. The room itself was very spacious, and there were a lot of updates as well (flat screen tv, new linens, furniture, etc). The vanity in the bathroom was also updated as well, though the shower and floors not so much. Either way, it was clean and inviting and suited our needs well for the evening.

There was also free wi-fi and a good selection of dining options on the hotel menu. There are a plethora of alternatives less than a mile away (five guys, sub shops, other chain things).

Would definitely recommend for the stranded traveler (such as myself), business travelers or those wanting to be close to the airport.

** To note: The airline that delayed our departure put us up in this hotel. I was so pleasantly surprised! Definitely request this hotel if this happens to you as well. So easy to depart the next day given the helpful staff and location!

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the central "courtyard"-- facing other windows across. We had to...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
bcable21, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff took great care of you.Thank you for your business, and I hope you stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport again when your travels bring you to Knoxville.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

This hotel is connected by a covered walkway to the Knoxville Airport. The joke was that one of our traveling companions was not feeling well, so we called for the shuttle bus. We walked out of baggage claim and got in the shuttle, and I looked up and saw the hotel lobby entrance literally about 50 yards down the road!

the hotel is a 5 or 6 story open atrium setup,with a bar and shopping in the atrium. the noise level from the atrium did not bother me, but I was staying there during some type of conference, and the 5th floor got a little rowdy up to about 11:30 on a weeknight. That happens in hotels!
The staff was friendly, although I tried to call the front desk twice and let it ring a long time without getting an answer for a wake up call.
the room was nice (not lavish), and had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. There was a door to the adjoining room, and I noticed the neighbors were a little noisy as I was retiring. the problem for me began when the cell phone next door rang repeatedly starting at 4AM, then the neighbors loudly started their day at about 4:15AM. This happens at hotels, but my observation was that the insulation was remarkably ineffective in this hotel. that said, if the neighbor has the cell phone at max volume, I don't know many hotels with enough sound insulation to block it out!
Despite the noisy neighbors, I would definitely stay in this property on my next visit to Knoxville.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I do want to apologize for the noisy guests in the room next to yours. I do hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Knoxville. Thank you very much for your business.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I was given a stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport when my flight to Atlanta landed in Knoxville because of technical difficulties. I was given my hotel & meal vouchers by the airline and immediately walked to the hotel which is next to the airport. I was greeted by a smile from the receptionist and had no problems checking in and receiving an excellent room on the fifth floor.

I took my case up to the room and found it beautifully decorated, clean and modern. It was paradise after a plane ride from hell. I looked out the window and discovered that it looked down to the first floor.

I went down to the restaurant that took my $6.00 voucher towards my meal and the staff were friendly. I ate a delicious meal and was treated special by the staff. There was a bar where several people had gathered for drinks.

I went to the room and took a hot bath and wore the robe that was provided in the room. I used the free wifi and contacted my family to tell them where I was. There were plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

I was wakened early the next morning by a loud family in the next room with two small noisey children. That was the only negative aspect of this visit, which the hotel could do nothing about. I went down to the buffet breakfast which had a variety of foods and used the second $6.00 voucher the airpline had given me towards my meal.

I stayed in the room until 1 p.m. and had a late check out since my flight did not leave until 3 p.m.

Overall, the stay was comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your nice comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your business, and I hope you stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Again we stayed here to be next to the airport. Candace at the reservation counter upgraded us to the Executive Level for free because they were booked up even though I had made a reservation in advance. This Hotel is so clean and the people are so nice. Food is good in the restaurant. Pool is clean. Our room is always clean. The walk to the airport is a short distance. I recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Airport. I appreciate the feedback and will pass it along the our employees. Thank you very much for your business, and I hope you will stay with again the next time your travels bring you to Knoxville.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Got a king room for $50. Clean room. Comfortable bed. Breakfast in bed was both reasonably priced and more food than we could finish. Quiet atmosphere. Amazing waterfall pools and hot tub are thoroughly enjoyable! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcoa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Knoxville Airport
#5 of 15 in Alcoa
Hilton Knoxville
Hilton Knoxville
#21 of 87 in Knoxville

Been to Hilton Knoxville Airport? Share your experiences!