“super clean, nice upgraded room”

Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport)
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Folly Beach, South Carolina
“super clean, nice upgraded room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

would recommend this hotel for sure over double-priced downtown. you can be at UT or downtown in less than 15 minutes. great breakfast, free wifi!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Geneseo, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Great value, I used PCR points+cash for our stay. I booked the hotel from the priority club iphone app a few hours before arriving. Everything was ready for us when we checked in. The room was small, but we weren't staying long so it wasn't a big deal. Breakfast was good, kids enjoyed the pool before leaving, but was too cold for myself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
murfreesboro, tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We arrived late into Alcoa and we had reservations at the Hilton- thinking that it would be nice. The Hilton was horrible unless you like smoky, musky rooms when you were guaranteed a non smoking room. We had stayed at this HIE before last year and remeber it is a good stay and Thankfully when we called around midnight, their front desk Tiffany and Debbie were very friendly and accomodating. The room is better and more spacious here, than at the Hilton. Definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Warren, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed for four nights on business. I found this Holiday Inn Express exceptionally clean and the service outstanding. I would return here on vacation due to the cleaniness, location and caring and knowledgable staff. The rooms were a great value. They even have discount cards for area resturants! I also had their complimentary breakfast every day - which was fantastic. I could not have asked for a better place to stay for four nights - in the heart of the Knoxville / Smoky Mountains area. Bravo!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
McMinnville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Alcoa because of their reasonable prices, their nicely furnished rooms, and a reputation for quality service. After this unpleasant experience, I will no longer choose Holiday Inn Express. Reasonable prices mean little when the front desk staff does not answer billing questions honestly or accurately, nicely furnished rooms with broken or faulty appliances lose their luster, and a reputation for quality service is easily ruined by the indifference and incompetence of the Alcoa staff.

This opinion is not based on one incident, but on a series of events that demonstrate a lack of customer service training and a lack of maintenance. When we arrived at our assigned room, it was already occupied by another guest. We opened the door to clothes hanging on the rack, personal items laying about, and a heavy smell of smoke and stink. I returned immediately to the front desk to get another room, and the clerk doubted my explanation. She seemed befuddled. I don't know if it is common practice to have squatters at this hotel, but the front desk clerk indicated that the room was not occupied by any paying guest. Another room like the one we reserved was not available, so the clerk kindly offered us an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. When we arrived at our second room, we realized immediately that the A/C unit in the front part of the suite was not working. We called the front desk to report the problem and were told that there were no other rooms available and we would just have to deal with it. The maintenance man would not be in until Tuesday (this was Sunday), and he would look at it then. She suggested that we turn the A/C unit on high in the bedroom and maybe that would help cool the front room. Tuesday came and went with no repair work. The unit was not working on the Friday when we left. The problems with the room did not stop with the A/C unit. The toilet barely flushed and had to be plunged repeatedly, the "expanded" cable with HBO had just nineteen channels (all with very poor reception), and the mini-fridge barely cooled and often drenched the carpet with water. All of the amenities so highly praised by HEI were in most cases faulty or broken.

Despite these problems, the most distubing aspect of our stay was the lack of customer service. The night front desk has apparently not been trained adequately and cannot answer billing questions accurately. They are also not concerned with keeping a customer's business or they would work harder to make sure guests are comfortable and satisfied with both the room and the billing.

The only bright spots in our stay were the clean rooms and the breakfast. The housekeeping staff is competent and friendly, and the breakfast lady was equally hospitable. The breakfast selection was varied, and the cinnamon rolls were a personal favorite.

Despite the delicious cinnamon rolls, I will never recommend or stay at the Holiday Inn Express chain again. The price and good location are not worth the hassle. Next time, I'll stay at the Marriott, and I recommend you do, too!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank teacherwilltravel
St Louis, missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

It is a nice hotel but a roach crawled out of our towels on the bathroom counter and in the morning we found some sort of bug on the bed.

No one else on tripadvisor posted this problem so maybe it is isolated. However I cannot give it a good review based on this.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank socntytiger
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past month. It is very nice and clean. I would stay here again but my biggest gripe is that the wireless internet is horrible! I lost connection often and since I am there for business and work out of my room quite a bit, it is very annoying. I figured the first time I stayed it was a fluke, but I noticed a few weeks later, I was having the same problem and so were my co workers. I would love to stay here again but I need a trusted internet connection. Other than that, the rooms are nice and big. The staff is OK, never really said hi or bye when I walked through the lobby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business