“Smells like cigarettes” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, United States
“Smells like cigarettes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

There is no elevator so if you are handicap or have a stroller make sure you mention this when making reservations. I did not and was put on the second floor and then the staff made me feel like I was the silly one for not mentioning I'd have a stroller when I made the reservation. No handicap accessible doors anywhere in the hotel either. My room smelled like a casino. It may be smoke free now, but it doesn't appear anything has been done to get rid of the stench, including the bed still smelled. Pillows are also horrible so bring your own if you still select this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Tera M,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to complete an online review. I want to begin by apologizing for any discomfort or discontent. We have been a smoke free hotel for many years. We have no smoking disclaimers and steep penalties for guests who violate the policy and strict cleaning procedures for how we clean a room which smells like it had been smoked in. I'm disheartened with all of that in place you encountered this problem and will work with you to make it right. It is true we don't have an elevator so those with special needs or mobility issues as well as those with small children are well suited to the main floor. This is also much more convenient for speed of access to the front desk, restaurant and our indoor water play-land.
Thank-you again for taking the time to share your comments.

Best Regards,
Randy Grismer, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Wichita, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pros - Very Helpful and Friendly Staff. Even changed room assignments for us when we found there was no elevator. The only improvements would be a complimentary breakfast and a refrigerator in the room. All else, decor, comfortableness was great. Good selection of cable channels. Very nice convention facilities.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Nancy F,

Thank-you so very much for your kind words regarding our staff and property. We work hard each and every day to exceed our guest's expectations and I'm always grateful for the feedback. I am pleased to let you know that we are in the process of improving our property and are rolling out a trial breakfast program with coupons for breakfast in our Restaurant which will be available to guests when booking rooms. Additionally we continue to order more refrigerators and microwaves with the hopes having complete sets in every room by early next year.

Once again my sincere appreciation for your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Randy Grismer
Lincoln, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel has seen better days. There is a pervasive odor throughout which was especially bad in hallways and rooms. The bathroom fixtures and hvac unit are very, very old. Moldy bathtub surrounds, insect droppings by toilet. Towels were ripped and so threadbare they were transparent.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwgmAberdeen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Tammara E.

Let me begin by saying how very sorry we are for your experience. I am glad you and I were able to visit via e-mail regarding your experience as well as my expectations for our facility and team. As a team we work hard every day to ensure our guests complete satisfaction and on the rare occasion where we miss the mark we take it very seriously and personally. Our guests are always helpful and courteous which gives us the opportunity to investigate the cause and implement preventative solutions. Again, I'm very grateful for your e-mail correspondence to date, and I look forward to visiting with you further.

Randy Grismer GM
Watertown, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just stayed at the at the Ramkota and found the rooms to be clean. The staff was very helpful and our room was ready for check in. The pool was nice, clean, and warm. The pool was designed for kids and the depth range from 6 inches to 4 feet. They have a small water slide for kids that has a landing mat underwater so that they do not get hurt. They also have a basketball hoop, lily pads to cross the pool and 2 small spray guns to get people in the pool wet. The hot tub was nice but I felt the water level was a little low as the jets are barely under water. We had a 2nd floor room over looking the pool and despite the pool being open to 11:30pm our room was quiet. Definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: The only adjoining room are on the second floor.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Craig K,

Thank-you so much for your review. We very much appreciate the guest feedback. I'm very glad you found our facility clean and well-maintained. We take great pride in our pool area as it was specifically designed to allow ease of access, comfort and convenience specifically focused on families. We thank you for your kind words and look forward to your safe return.

Randy Grismer, GM
Pierre, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was very noticable this motel is older. The room was clean but everything needed updated (carpet, bathrooms, pool, shower heads, windows).
The hospitality of the staff was fantastic. Special notice to Tony and Justin who went out of their way to assist our relocation from one room to a next and answering questions that we had.
I give the rating of average as the motel's physical condition was poor but the hospitality of the staff was very good.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper level have less moisture in carpet then the lower levels. There was a notica...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon N
bwgmAberdeen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Jon N,

Thank-you so very much for taking the time to share your comments. I see that while you were in Aberdeen you also had the opportunity to review Wylie Park, Storybook Land and our local I-HOP restaurant. I'm so very glad you had a chance to truly enjoy several of the many fantastic family-friendly attractions our community has to offer.
Our property has been serving the community and hosting travelers for many years and we work hard every day to maintain the freshest possible appearance. We are planning several key improvements in our guest rooms in the coming weeks and months which I am confident will put us at the top of your "must return to see" list.
I am grateful you mentioned a few of our key staff members and commented on their helpfulness at check in and throughout your stay. We work very hard to ensure the best possible service and I'm glad to hear our team hit the mark.
Thank-you again for your comments and your patronage.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I traveled to this property for a mini-vacation with a few friends from Minneapolis. When there was a problem with our door lock that upset our schedule (we were in town for a show) the entire staff including management went above and beyond to make things right. Really great service, comfortable environment, awesome beds. This was our second stay here and we will definitely stay again the next time we come to visit. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Chelsea W,

Thank-you so very much for your exceptionally kind words. We work every day to ensure our guests receive exceptional customer service. It was my distinct pleasure getting to meet you and your friends. I sincerely hope all of you had a great time in Aberdeen and very much look forward to seeing you on a return visit in the near future. It's good to know that Aberdeen, SD is now competing with Minneapolis, MN as an entertainment and vacation destination. :)

Randy Grismer,
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Here on business for my second time in a week, and had some special accommodation needs specifically needing a first floor room, and a late check out. Tony at the front desk went in my opinion well beyond the call of duty and not only adjusted my room to a first floor (near a door), also was able to make arraignments for a late checkout. Tony's professionalism and politeness was truly outstanding as well as his friendliness and willingness to assist in meeting my needs. Tony is a TRUE asset to the Best Western Ramkota.

Room Tip: rooms on the interior are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Andrew S,

Thank-you ever so much for your exceptionally kind words. Tony is a brand new employee who had only worked with us a short time prior to your arrival. I am very pleased to hear of how well he treated you. We strive daily to ensure the complete satisfaction of each of our guests and it is always very rewarding for our individual employees when they are personally recognized for their commitment to our success.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for your patronage.

Randy J. Grismer